Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sample Paper on Writing Historical Research

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sample Paper on Writing Historical Research
    Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 13:09
Originally posted by Dawn

it comes from the enbedded coding in the word processor you are using. When I use word perfect and  paste to the forum all kinds of intresting things happen. I once asked II what was up and that is what he told me.

..a ha!!!!!..so thats why, i have noticed that when my cursor (sp?) hovers over the footnotes in Word, the footnote info appears in a supplementary box, so there is something going on there thats 'embedded'...not being one for all things 'puter related or indeed that techy minded, as Toyah Wilcox once said 'Its a mystery'....

..thanks Dawn...
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 09:03
So, what is the style that academic historians use? Is it different in depending on each country?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 10:23
Originally posted by hugoestr

So, what is the style that academic historians use? Is it different in depending on each country?

...i am no position to comment on other contries, but while i was at university in England, the examples i have mentioned so far were the ones insisted upon by my history tutors and Professor as being the 'academic' standard to which i should reach in order for any work 'to be taken seriously'....from what i have seen, this is what is conformed to in the majority of published and unpublished history works...

..having said that, this is what i know as being the standards needed for the a study of history......an ex-partner was studying to be a primary school teacher and her department advocated the use of references in the main body of a text, but the purposes differ here as the teaching tutor only wanted to know that the writer had partcipated in some background reading......for history, as we have already mentioned, the referencing system plays a much more important and active role in writing and reading academic material... 
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 11:44
Is there any style book that is associated with the style that you gave us? In the U.S. many fields in the humanities use the APA style. Someone else talked about the Chicago style for anthropology, I believe.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 12:26
The footnote method used at the Institute of History of my uni is pretty much the same as the one quoted by Oblivion... I think it is pretty international... within Europe anyway...

But, interestingly, I found out through experience that both the Institute of English at my uni and the Instiute of Germanic languages at the Uni of Amsterdam use the [Writer, year, page] inserted in text method. The idea of this is that at the end there is a list of books sorted by writer and year where you can look up the specifics. In this system foot or end notes are used for supplementary info that has no place in the text.

Although I do personally dislike this system as it, indeed, breaks the flow of the text, it is not particularly amateurish at all. Just different.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 13:24
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

Originally posted by Dawn

it comes from the enbedded coding in the word processor you are using. When I use word perfect and  paste to the forum all kinds of intresting things happen. I once asked II what was up and that is what he told me.

..a ha!!!!!..so thats why, i have noticed that when my cursor (sp?) hovers over the footnotes in Word, the footnote info appears in a supplementary box, so there is something going on there thats 'embedded'...not being one for all things 'puter related or indeed that techy minded, as Toyah Wilcox once said 'Its a mystery'....

..thanks Dawn...

Yeah, and when you copy paste notes into a normal document structure, they get confused and they get all their little numbers mixed up... heheheh. Evil%20Smile

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 19:53

Is there any style book that is associated with the style that you gave us? In the U.S. many fields in the humanities use the APA style. Someone else talked about the Chicago style for anthropology, I believe.

..i do not have one precise book that outlines this style but The New Nature of History-Knowledge, Evidence, Language by Arthur Marwick (Palgrave, 2001) contains three lengthy appendices which deal with 'writing history' and includes a guide to referencing from historians...

.. if you can access any academic historical publication in England, you will probably find this system in place although i have noted that more 'commercial' tomes tend to got for endnotes but they still use the same system of writing them up as footnotes...however, it is by no means universal..the books 'Stalingrad' and 'Berlin' by Anthony Beevor uses endnotes but references not by numbers, but by quotes, and gives the first few words of the quote as the reference followed by the source...

In 'Rough Crossings-Britain, the Slaves and the American Revolution', Simon Schama uses the exact same format as i have described (using numbers in the main body of the text) but employs end notes...

....you will tend to find that most of the scholerly works aimed at undergraduates and graduates will contain footnotes....for example Richard I by John Gillingham,  We Now Know-Rethinking Cold War History by John Lewis Gaddis, Hitler by Ian Kershaw, The Juggler-FDR as Wartime Statesman by Warren F. Kimball, How War Came by DonaldCameron Watt and many more, but like i say, it is not universal...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 19:56

Yeah, and when you copy paste notes into a normal document structure, they get confused and they get all their little numbers mixed up... heheheh. Evil%20Smile

....yep, that once happened to me when i was working on a draft of my dissertation..i can laugh now..but back then, the dissertation was effectively my 'baby'......Cry

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 19-Mar-2007 at 19:58
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 05:16
That is why I keep triple backups...

I have a book on writing articles which includes a chapter on annotation, but it is in Dutch. It is also a tad outdated as it also includes a chapter on the usage of WordPerfect 1.0. It tells that editing text in WP is tricky and that for most people, using a normal typewriter is the best option...LOL The stupid thing is, when I had to buy the book in my first year, WP was already obsolete. That is cutting edge research for you.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 09:32
And the winner is Goban!

I finally decided to do a search on what is the appropriate style for citing history papers, and this site

List of styles books used in the U.S.

Says that one should use the Chicago Style. Interestingly, if one examines it, it is very close to the style that Act of Oblivion presented

Dianahacker

For that matter, Diana's Hacker site is very nice:

Diana's Research and Documentation site

So all what we need is for our British friends to provide the name of their style so that we can have both of them as the recommended styles, if one is writing in English.

Edited by hugoestr - 20-Mar-2007 at 09:34
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 09:42
I don't really know anything about these U.K. sources, so I present and you guys can tell me which are valid and which aren't.

A style guide from St. Andrews

MHRA Style Guide

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 11:11

..hello Hugoestr...

..i am sorry but i cannot give an 'explicit' example of named styling for what we are discussing, maybe it comes from Oxford or Cambridge as my medieval studies Professor graduated from Oxford and he always advocated the style i am talking about?..but at no time did he mention a named 'style', i believe that is in recognition that others wil have differing opinions on the matter...for example, the mentioned Professor hated 'split infinitives' ('to boldly go' etc....something that i am guilty of!!) and anybody using them in their work would be hung up in a gibbet outside the student bar to rot and suffer the price for using such grammar, however, there is no absolutely no 'rule' or defined aggreement among English academics that forbids the use of split infinitives....

....so in turn....

....there is no 'formal' declaration of what 'method' should be used in the UK that i am aware of, there is no 'law' or rigid system, it is accepted among academic historians and writers/researchers, that as a 'rule of the thumb', such styling should, if appropriate, and practical be adopted in the writing and research of historical material...

..however, i will try and have a look round to see what i can find...

PS-i have had a look round for some info, i checked my local universities and some others around the country..but from my limited search, i cannot get a direct 'name' for a style although the majority of what i looked at use the style i have described and most add that students should check what referencing method is employed by that particular history department...maybe there are some other UK forum members who could help me out here? 

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 20-Mar-2007 at 16:28
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 23:45
Yea Im still getting used to the whole formating between Word and this website.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 11:00

@ my uni the rules are as follows.

We follow the Harvard referencing system in lay out. ie author, date but end notes or footnotes are more appropiate for post graduate thesis and academic publications. Short essays are more easily set out with the references within the text.

Hope that helps some.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2010 at 22:56
Again spammers have hit this sie!

But, regarding the promotion or demotion of a specialty of making a good presentation, rests within the current style of our own Educational system!

That is our educators change the style and presentation every few years regardless of its necessity!

It is a system doomed to end the English domination of the world of research and and publishing!

But, this is just the ramblings of an old man!

Edited by opuslola - 23-Nov-2010 at 22:57
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2011 at 18:40
Actually the correct answer to a lot of this stuff, is to "follow the current guidelines given to you by your professor, and/or follow the currently accepted version of writing existing at the latest moment!

Other wise, just follow the words quoted below!

Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Where is the difference between"there is a big truck in my street" (Suchar, 2008: 34)."there is a big truck in my street" (Suchar, 34)."there is a big truck in my street[1]"  [1] SUCHAR John, Hey dad how are ya?, Boston: BYR Publishing, p.34.?

..the difference is that the footnote example contains more information, which, as as general rule, should be always the case when writing about history.....

...the more information given in supplementary references adds credibility to the material in question, and the more information available makes it easier for readers to check, validate, disprove, debate etc....  

.....that is why a footnote is invariably used in the writing of history, such information cannot be contained in the body of the text for the reasons alreadys stated....clarity, ease of reading etc etc.....by just giving a name/year/page number does not reveal anything substantial.....in most history writing, the reference is not there 'just for show', they have a practical role in the evaluation of the material being read..
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12