Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nine Unknown Men of Ashoka

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nine Unknown Men of Ashoka
    Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 06:43
Dear All,

This refers to the secret society (allegedly) formed my Emperor Ashoka during his reign to keep some secrets of science. Though this more seems to be a only consipiracy theory and might be only a historical humour, I have a had a lot of personal interst in this. I am collecting material available on this particular topic.

I request you to kindly share the same with me if you had some.

Some important things I am looking for is:

1) Mention of any such things in Ashoka Vadana (which to my knowledge is not available)
2) Any inscription about such secret societies of India in the past.

Thanks.
K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 11:15

You should give source from where you got such alleged details, as otherwise, it would be difficult to proceed further to deal with issues historically.

You cannot simply ask for historical evidences about an alleged notion.
History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 04:01
Dear Shri Rao,

This is not much "historical" in strict scientific terms. This is more a consipiracy theories, like all other comes by hear say. Though my logical historic side says, forget it, my love for mythologies and trying to prove them, says, give it a try. That is why I put this bare question in front of everyone. This is like the Holy Grail theory, no begining, no evidence.

However, Nine Unknown Men is mentioned in a few western documents (as hear say evidences, again) especially one on Pope Sylvester II. Madame Blavatsky is also said to spoken about these Nine Unknown Men (she has mentioned in her book The Secret Doctrine). I am going through some books of adyar library these days to cull any info, by and large I have been unsuccessful.

Many historical findings start only from allegations and especially in India from Folk lores. Documents have to be found out to corroborate the allegation. You know better, you are historian.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 04:11
Dear Shri Rao,

Another I wanted to know about is the mention of any such thing (closely possible) in AshokaVadana or DivyaVadana...As I do not have translations of these texts.
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 23:52

Scholars divide the sources on Asoka into two categories: North and South.

North: "Asokavadana", "Divyavadana" and"Vamsatthapakasini" in Sanskrit and Pali.

South:"Dipavamsa" and "Mahavamsa" in Pali.

What I could find that the present historians are just quoting from J. Przyluski, La Legenda de l'Emperreur Asoka, 1923.

Thank you for drawing attention to these texts. I should search for these. Of course, Dipavamsa and Mahavamsa are available with me.
History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:25

As mentioned elsewhere, you made to me to search for the details connected with Asoka.

I find that Asoka had 99 brothers. Could it be anything to do with your "9" men?

Or just like "Navratna" Asoka had some people?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 00:46
Dear Shri Rao,

I am sorry I did not mean to make you search, I apologise for that. I have been still unsuccessful in getting any documentary evidence on the origin of this theory. It more seems like a hoax/rumour (though I personally wouldnt want it to be so). I do not think it relates to 99 brothers of Ashoka, because the incidence of Ashoka's brothers were before his accession of power and 9 men of Ashoka is after the Kalinga war.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply