Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Columbus, Italian...or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Columbus, Italian...or not?
    Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 21:05
Yes, I believe it is accurate. I keep forgetting the countries of Europe are unbelievable crowded for theirs size.

Brazil has 180 million people, so Italians descendents made around 12 % of the population, which is not bad, and represent close to half the population of Italy and almost twice the population of the U.S.

Argentina, though, with 18 millions is about 50% of the Population of Argentina of 40 millions! So, in there the Italian influence is very imporatant.

Argentineans speak Spanish, but with an accent and grammar which is quite strange and that show the Italian influence clearly.

Pinguin

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 21:13
Thats pretty interesting. The Italians in the US are pretty mixed now, I'm quite a few different mixes, but it's easy for me to just say Italian American because of my last name, that if someone asks where my ancestry is from.
But most of my friends who had Italian blood also have Irish. You find the two mix alot here. Two of three of my Uncles ended up marrying Irish background women. I guess it has to do with the high number of the two groups.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 21:15
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I'm just trying to make connections with his description, maybe it'll further discussion.

I saw a documentary about Columbus, they went out to search for a man who had Columbus's dna....So they flew all the way to Europe....They had a talk with the guy they came to meet. He gave the Scientists the DNA from Columbus, they tested it. And turns out Columbus was  Of Irish, and Russian Descent

Edited by ValHalen0wns - 11-Mar-2007 at 21:16
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 21:22
Originally posted by ValHalen0wns

... And turns out Columbus was  Of Irish, and Russian Descent

Ha Ha.

Not strange at all. I bet it was Irish. Columbus was described as such physical features, and Irish -because they are Catholics- have always had the doors open to Spain, even in the worst times of Inquisition.

Who knows? Columbus was a very strange figure. Are you sure he was human and not an E.T. ? Big%20smile

Pinguin
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 15:59
his signature was in greek language. He used to sign as Christos Ferens, the Greek translation of the Greek name Christophoros( smthing like The one who brings Jesus(gr.Christos) with him. Most probably he was a Byzantine or Venetian Prince of Chios island who knew to speak and write in greek language. I think that it would be difficult to find pics of his signatures on the net. I'll try to post one if i find.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 20:49
Just for the sake of debating: Chios was Genoan until 1566... the Chios lobby in Genoa was very strong and the trade often very active, for a Genoese sailor the island was a common destination. Not mentioning that at the end of the 15th century the Mediterranean was stuffed with Greeks runing away from the Turks.
I am a free donkey!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 17:40

Ok , my mistake....Geek sorry. I just wanted to mention the subject of his ethnicity... Sorry that i didn't read my post a second time...

Greek trading was very strong during the era of Ottoman domination and it's still very strong untill today in the eastern Mediterannean, that means that it was easy for a Ggreek trader to reach destinations such as Genoa and Venice many times in his life. Especially for those who migrated to Italy... Anyway, if you ever visit Chios, you will be in able to visit Colombus familie's house .

What do you mean with: "Not mentioning that at the end of the 15th century the Mediterranean was stuffed with Greeks runing away from the Turks." ?Disapprove

Do you mean the massacre of Chios in 1822 when nearly a hundrend thousand people were slaughtered?Because i think it has nothing to do with Colombus ethnicity ...( ethnicity has no sense in those ages. Venetian , Genoese or whatever...)

Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:52
Pretty sure he was Spanish.
Crusader3943
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 19:14
Originally posted by Crusader3943

Pretty sure he was Spanish.

I don't know... He came to aid Spain after his failure to convince the Portuguese king about the new passage to India... If he was Spanish, why wouldn't he visit Spanish king first?

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 21:04

Why? Because he was a pirate. He has to find the right time or be hung Wink

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:54

Why? Because he was a pirate. He has to find the right time or be hung Wink

LOL LOL LOL

Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 12:28
Actually, I just found out that Columbus was born in Genoa, which would make him Italian.
Crusader3943
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 14:27
Originally posted by Crusader3943

Actually, I just found out that Columbus was born in Genoa, which would make him Italian.

We're not talking about that Columbus. LOL
Nisiotis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Nisiotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 20:29
Hello people.
I must say that i always believed that Colombus was Italian.Reading that he could be Greek, i searched and found these.

The argument supporting this theory ( Colombus was Greek ) states that Chios was under Genoese control.Colombus called himself "Columbus de Terra Rubra" ( Columbus of the Red Earth ), because of the red earth  of  southern  Chios where the  mastic tree  grows. There is  also  a  village  (  Pirgi ) where to this  day  many  of  its  inhabitants  carry  the surname  Columbus.Columbus historian, Manuel Rosa, writes that Colon has greek meaning...en griego quiere decir miembro ( Kolon=member ).He also kept his journal in Latin, and a "secret" journal in Greek.Columbus made markings of Greek words on hte margins of his favorite book,Imago Mundi.

SOURCES
http://columbus.vanderkrogt.net/some_background_information_on_Columbus.html
http://grecoreport.com/christopher_columbus.html

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 20:42

Columbus Greek?

You are wrong. Columbus was Amerindian. He arrived to Spain in a 30 tons balsa raft a couple of years before meting Queen Isabella who, as you know, was of Jewish ancestry. Columbus say Isabella he was a descendent of the Forgotten Tribe of Israel, so convinced the Queen fast enough.

Jesus! I am pretty sure if I publish the above I could make money.

I won't continue. This Columbus wake up my fantasy LOL

Pinguin

Nisiotis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Nisiotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 20:47
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 02:00
I believe Colombus was 100% Italian. That is my opinion
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 06:01
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I believe Colombus was 100% Italian. That is my opinion

That would be quite a feat... I don't believe many Italians are 100% Italian... LOL 
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 06:30
We can solve this easily by changing the ethnicities a bit. Since we a talking about Italian, a nationality that didn't exist in the 15th century. I think it is an entirely fair thing to do.

Columbus was a Frank! (European)

(So he had better not be a Roman (greek) )
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 21:37
undoubtly, he behaved like a Frank , as Napoleon did 3 centuries laterWink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>