Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The order of first- and surname

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The order of first- and surname
    Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 10:03
I wonder what is the reason that most of the languages (except of hungarian and maybe japanese) are using the first name before the family name?

My personal opinion about this is, that it is a little bit unlogical. The order of f. and s. names has to be changed in (f. e.) telephon books, it takes longer to introduce ourself (f.e. "Bond. James Bond."LOL) etc.

But in the geographical names the situation is similar to the jap. and hungarian case. In a different case it would be silly and funny to hear: for exemple America North, Britain Greath, Deutschland Sd etc.

So, what is Your opinion?

If there is a similar topic, delete this, please.

Tar Szernd

Edited by Tar Szernd - 03-Mar-2007 at 10:05
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 18:55
I like the First Name first, since I would call a person "James", not "Smith." I think the order is fine. I have read that in some countries (such as China), the order is reversed.

Post Reply Post Reply