Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Assimilation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assimilation
    Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 15:59
Can anyone explain to me what assimilation means?
the definitions i find theyre not that good
and if u can give me a link of the long term causes of the world war 1 that are pretty explainable. thanks
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 19:45
What do you mean, your definitions are bad. You told me earlier that you are from Canada. Surely it would not be a huge issue for you, for your nation provides among the best sources in the world..... I am sure the ones you find in the dictionary would be good enough for normal schoolwork.... unless there are some more complex instructions that was given...

Again, I am sure that you can find links by few minutes of surfing. Since I was doing history assignment, I can give you a wiki source which is logical... but I would not use them for reference just in case. But it will give you some ideas...

Have fun working. Remember, do some homework before asking us questions like that. We debate and discuss ideas, not to give you answer keys for your school assignment.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 19:54

Assimilation is when a people mixes genetically and culturally into another group, lossing theirs original identity.

Assimilation existed, for example, when the French  hunters married Native women in Quebec and theirs children spoke only French and followed only French culture.

Assimilation does not happens when a group is kept apart from the mainstream. The typical case are the appartheid in South Africa, and also most Black people in the United States. They were kept appart from the mainstream and not allowed to fuse into it genetically and culturally.

In Brazil, the same Black people are integrated to the society because they share both genetics and culture with the rest of the population. Therefore, they are assimilated.

Pinguin

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 00:00
Originally posted by pinguin

Assimilation is when a people mixes genetically and culturally into another group, lossing theirs original identity.

Assimilation existed, for example, when the French  hunters married Native women in Quebec and theirs children spoke only French and followed only French culture.

Assimilation does not happens when a group is kept apart from the mainstream. The typical case are the appartheid in South Africa, and also most Black people in the United States. They were kept appart from the mainstream and not allowed to fuse into it genetically and culturally.

In Brazil, the same Black people are integrated to the society because they share both genetics and culture with the rest of the population. Therefore, they are assimilated.

Pinguin

Black people are white if you compare them with blacks from africa

I all posible ways
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2007 at 10:50
Multi-culturalism would be my preferred option. The whole like it or lump it approach to assimilation is an outdated cultural imperialist approach to immigration and has no place in our society. Our western society prides itself on the belief that people are free to live their lives free from anothers persecution, so long as that lifestyle doesn't directly harm another persons life. I don't know why the same people who uphold these principles want to enforce their own moral code on immigrants who enter the country seeking a better life.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
 Post Reply Post Reply