Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Molon Labe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Molon Labe
    Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 18:07
Question;

What's the meaning behind the expression "MOLON LABE"?  All I know is it's an historic ancient Spartan expression.

Thanks.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 18:20
i'll let a greek speaker take a better shot, but here is mine; it means something like this 'come and take/get them' which was the defiant response to the enemy asking for their weapons (to stand down and concede). The spartans i think gave that response in thermpolyae.

Edited by Leonidas - 14-Feb-2007 at 18:21
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 19:01
True Leo.
Molon lav (gr Μολών λαβέ) is the response that King Leonidas gave to Xerxes, when the latter asked the Spartans to surrender their arms. It means "come to take them" or "come and get them".
Molon, from emolon, from vlosko (verb). It is not used in modern greek.
Lav, from lamvano which means take/get.
A true laconic response! Just to verbs, appropriately put together, were more than enough to show the spirit and mentality of the Spartans!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 12:22
Just a small clarification.The word Λαβέ (lave) is the second face (me,you,he,she,it,we,you,they)  in the imperative form of λαμβάνω (lamvanw).
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:40
Dear dimali, ex lubruni, amanti, kroni, etc.  Now you've put Italy as your country in profile settings.

Originally posted by dimali

i want to say that in my country the expression molon labe is used when we want to say that "we are brave and strong people'
it is called a region in my country like laberia and people are called lab (i dont want to claim anything) but we use often this phase for these peoples...... 

You've been banned repeatedly by other mods.  IP address, writing style, etc.
Also, provoking in Greek threads again.  Your 5 other posts quarantined.

Edited by Hellios - 16-Mar-2007 at 19:58
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:00
And I as expected what Liburni said is a lie. I just asked an Albanian about it LOL

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:43

In Greek the Molon Labe  pronounce  as Molon Lave (Mo-lone Lah-veh). "Μολών" (omikron - omega) is the participle of the past simple tense of the Ancient Greek verb "βλώσκω" (vlosko) = go, come, proceed.

Edited by akritas - 17-Mar-2007 at 08:45
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 13:44
Originally posted by Flipper

And I as expected what Liburni said is a lie. I just asked an Albanian about it LOL

True!
Prej heshtjes...!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 14:01

Originally posted by Arbr Z

True!

I knew it was a lie right away.  There's no such place there.  Just another failed attempt to insult his neighbors.
If you see him again, send 1 of the mods a PM.  Thanks guys & good job keeping your cool.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 14:08
Originally posted by Hellios

Originally posted by Arbr Z

True!

I knew it was a lie right away.  There's no such place there.  Just another failed attempt to insult his neighbors.
If you see him again, send 1 of the mods a PM.  Thanks guys & good job keeping your cool.

The place actually exists - Labri (Country of the Labs). Lab - Labi - Labe are the inhabitants of that region. But it has nothing to do, no logical relation with Molon Lave, which has a known meaning and there is no need to make hypotheses...In albanian Molon Lave would be translated as Eja Merre - Ejani Merreni - Ec e Merre etc, so as you see...I agree speculative people should be bannedClap
Prej heshtjes...!
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 14:15
I mean Italy.  He said "my country" while using Italy in his profile & there was no mention of Albania in that post.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 14:25
Arbr Z,

You have such a beautiful & historic country & people.
Too bad that fellow was just going around insulting his neighbors instead of posting about his beautiful & historic country.

rex362 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rex362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2016 at 14:44
MOLON LAVE

IN SIMPLE ALBANIAN A 4 YEAR OLD COULD UNDERSTAND

MO LON LE VI  (gheg)  /ME LEN LE VI  (tosk) ------>  SAME THING / SAME MEANING

JUST SIMPLE PELASGIAN WORDS THAT ALBANIANS USE TO THIS DAY
KEEP IT SIMPLE AND USE COMMON SENSE TO MUCH CRITICAL THINKING WILL WARP YOUR MINDS

CASE CLOSE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

Edited by rex362 - 03-Sep-2016 at 15:04
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2016 at 15:13
"Molon labe (Greekμολὼν λαβέ molṑn labé), meaning "come and take [them]", is a classical expression of defiance. According toHerodotus, when the Persian armies demanded that the Greeks surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae, KingLeonidas I responded with this phrase."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 03-Sep-2016 at 15:25
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2016 at 20:36
Originally posted by rex362

MOLON LAVE

IN SIMPLE ALBANIAN A 4 YEAR OLD COULD UNDERSTAND

MO LON LE VI  (gheg)  /ME LEN LE VI  (tosk) ------>  SAME THING / SAME MEANING

JUST SIMPLE PELASGIAN WORDS THAT ALBANIANS USE TO THIS DAY
KEEP IT SIMPLE AND USE COMMON SENSE TO MUCH CRITICAL THINKING WILL WARP YOUR MINDS

CASE CLOSE AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

You do realize this thread is 9 years old.
all the folks involved before you have been gone for years.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply