Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Descendants of the Prophet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Descendants of the Prophet?
    Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by omshanti

Interesting opinions here. I guess it is understandable that most of them are not really the descendants of Mohammad, because there are unbelievable amount of seyeds (sayyids) out there (millions?). After all Mohammad or his grand children must not have been like genghiz-khan who left millions of descendants all over the place, have they?

I knew some Seyed people in Iran who were not happy at all about being seyeds because they hated to be stereotyped as mullahs or be expected to act like religious islamic people in public. Some of them were able to change their names or take off the seyed part from their names during the chaos of the revolution. The ones that could not take advantage of the chaotic revolutionary times were not able to change it because the islamic government does not alow it.

Is it possible for a seyed person to convert to another religion in middle eastern countries? I was just wondering because their names already indicate a strong islamic background. It would be really strange to see a christian or jewish or zoroastrian person with a seyed name.

This whole topic is making me interested in the origins of people's family names in general.

Omshanti, you bring up a good point. Today there is a good percentage of people in Asia, who carry the Genghis Khan gene.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 17:06
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Also, Hashemite family, current royalty of Jordan, former royalty of Iraq and family of former Sherif Hussein of Mecca, claims to be descendants of the prophet, however their lineage is coming from uncle of prophet, Abbas.

Hi,

The hashemites of Jordan, and those of Iraq previously, are the descendants of the Sharif Aun-Al-Rafiq Al-Qutadi, are the descendants of Al-Hassan Ibn Ali Ibn Abi Talib, not Al-Abbas. There is only one family in the arab world that claims descent to the abbasids, that is the Ba-Wazir family, although they have nothing to ascertain that claim, and their name implies Hadhrami descent.
marocain View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote marocain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:26
This issue can be treated in a genetic point of view:

http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2025&page=1&pp=10
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by omshanti

Originally posted by malizai_

I would think that his descendants would be concentrated around southern Iraqi cities of kufah, Najaf, and hijaz, and maybe some areas of Jordan.

Can you please explain why they would be concentrated in to those cities and areas? I was just wondering because I have absolutely no knowledge about the history of Mohammad or Islam. Did those areas have a big role in the development of Islam?

Reading back the above, why i have included Najaf in the above i have no idea. Might have been the news effect from the ongoing war in Iraq. I was making an educated guess and lack any conclusive proof.

In response to your question:

Kufah was a city settled by Umar-bin-Khataab(2nd Caliph) where he sent some 6000 of the best among his people, the most versed in Islamic tradition. Raised from around Hejaz, it would make sense to believe that some were relations of Mohammed.

Hejaz was the homeland of the prophet pertaining to makkah and medina. It would make sense to believe that some may have stayed behind.

Jordan because that is where members of the Hashemite tribe (tribe of mohammed, named after his grandfather) exiled when the Saudi's took over Saudi Arabia.

The one thing i seem to have left out is Damascus. After Karbala the Ummayads had shifted the survivors of the Ahl-bayt to Damascus. What happened next, i don't know.

I have extended the meaning of descendants to incorporate his immediate relatives or those who share his blood line or kin.

@Zagros

Syeds are incomparable with Brahmans.
gilaki View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gilaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2013 at 19:56
hello

i am new here, and I am a shia from persian and french origins

I studied a lot the shia history and I know well the common sayings of iranians about sadat, which are most of the time wrong.

first of all, the term sayyid means in arabic, master, but it can also be used as mister.

the plural is sadat.
For shia muslims a sayyid is a descendant of the Prophet Muhammad(saw) through his daughter Fatima(as) and his cousin Ali(as) only. And a sayyid is normally only a descendant of Imam Al-Hussain(as) , who is their son. The descendants of Imam Al-Hassan(as), who is their first son and the 2nd shia Imam, are normal called ashraf (sing: sharif). But nowadays, we call both sadat

The reason why they are that much sadat in the world and why they are located like this is simple, we just need to study the history.

Most of Sadat in Iran are now Hassanis, husseinis and for the big majority musawis.

Imam Musa Al-Kazhim(as), our 7th imam, had between 30 and 60 kids (scholars are not sure of the number). His first son, Imam Al-Ridha(as) was forced by the abbasid caliph Al-Ma'mun to migrate to Khurasan from Madinah.
After few years the Imam being in Khurasan, his siblings, who all stayed in Madinah, decided to come to join him.
They decided to go forming two groups. Al-Ma'mun knew they wanted to come to join their brother and it would have had given strenght to shia faith, and spread even more the message. So as all abbasid caliphs did to the Ahlulbayt(as), he decided to oppress and kill them.
Al-Ma'mun's men were sent to destroy those two groups of siblings and family of the Prophet(saw).

The groups were attacked near the actual city of Qum in Iran. Some members of the family were killed, others could hide, but most of them could escape and hide in other cities.
Thats why now, you can find many shrines of what we call in persian "emamzadeh", which means descendant of Imam (their siblings or offsprings) in all Iran and that explains also why, most of those emamzadeh were siblings of Ali ibn Musa Al-Ridha(as). You can find two of his brothers for example in the city of Shiraz, his famous sister(as) in Qum, another sister in Rasht. Most of them far from each other. And thats also the reason why most of iranian sadat, are musawis. They are descendants of those siblings who escaped.

You can find sadat in Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwayt, Pakistan, Afghanistan etc.
In all countries mentionned above, you can find more sadat of a certain "tendency".

For example, many naqawis (from Imam Al-Naqi(as)) and Taqawis ( from Imam Al-Taqi(as)) in Pakistan but very few in other countries.

They are other people who are related to the Prophet Muhammad(saw), as for example, descendants of his cousins etc, but we dont call them sadat.

In shia faith, only sadat clerics can wear a black turban, others have to wear a white one. A sayyid has more duties according to the faith than regular people.

Also another thing to mention, someone can be called a sayyid only if his father, paternal grand-father, parternal great grand-father etc were sayyid. You have this title only through your dad lineage.
If your mother is a sayyidah but you father is not a sayyid, then you are called a mir or a mirza.

I believe that 90% of iranian people have sayyid blood, as most of people have one sayyid in their lineage.

If you ask some iranian people, they will tell you that a seyed (persian word for sayyid) were descendant of arabs who married persian women during the conquest of arabs in Persia, which is totally wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12