Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Naming of the Steppe Nomads forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Naming of the Steppe Nomads forum
    Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 17:49
Glancing through the Steppe Nomads and Central Asia forum I noticed how many threads arent limited to just Central Asia.  In fact the scope of the forum seems to extend beyond just Central Asia to the whole of Inner Eurasia. 
Would it not be more appropriate to rename the forum to Steppe Nomads and Inner Eurasia?

Also the forum would also seem to include not just Steppe nomads but also other indigenous peoples such as forest dwelling Reindeer herders and other non steppe nomads.  So what about just the Inner Eurasia forum?

The primary focus of the forum is obviously steppe nomads so Steppe Nomads And Inner Eurasia would fit well.

Maybe this question has been raised before, however i would like to know what the thoughts of other members as well as the admins and moderators are.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:14
I agree with AyKurt.
I might be wrong but I think that the 2 threads opened by Nick about Scythians and Sarmatians were moved to this sub-forum from somwhere else (general world history?). Those two threads were not about Central Asia at all. Also a while ago the ''mongoloid peoples'' thread was moved but the ''question on race'' thread is still there. Who decides those things?

Edited by omshanti - 10-Feb-2007 at 00:20
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 16:35
Good points raised. I'll mention this to the mods for further review.

The Question on race thread was posted prior to the opening of the Ethnic history forum. It wasn't moved, though it very well would fit in with the subforum, since it is a sticky thread. Overall, moderators have the pleasant task of moving threads that appear to fit into the appropriate areas.

Edited by Seko - 10-Feb-2007 at 16:54
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 21:26
Forgive me for being off-topic. I have some suggestions regarding moving threads.

Seko, the ''Mongoloid peoples'' thread was first moved to the Ethnic history forum and later to the anthropology forum. This is the reason I was wondering why the ''question on race'' thread does not receive the same treatment when it is about the politically incorrect issue of race too.
Anyway now I know that it's a sticky thread and that is why it was not moved. Thank you for answering.

In my opinion within the threads that are moved, there are some that can fit in several sub-forums, in which case regarding which sub-forum is more appropriate for which thread completely depends on the personal opinion/taste and the national bias of the moderator who moves them. The intention of the original starter of the thread as to by whom he/she wanted his/her thread to be read must be taken in to consideration too. For those reasons I would suggest that when a moderator moves a thread it is better that he/she posts a short note in the thread stating where and why it is moved.

Edited by omshanti - 13-Feb-2007 at 02:48
 Post Reply Post Reply