Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Subhash Chandra Bose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subhash Chandra Bose
    Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 11:48
I must admit, it was the first time i ever heard about Subhash Chandra Bose, when i saw a tv-documentation about him, this week.
Much to my surprise i heard ,he lived in Germany during the WWII for a year.
Saw, how he held a speech at some German industrialists, in quite good German.
Does anybody of our Asian Friends knows more about him ?

TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 14:55
So Bose made it to Iceland. Nice, so he should. I think he's much more of an influence on the subcontinent's independence than Gandhii, who is very very grossly overrated. Bose's philosophy was that the subcontinent could only be free through violent struggle, Gandhi was the opposite. Funny how it was Gandhi that got the laurels of it all, and Bose got nothing till recently. I can recommend a film if you're interested in Bose, called the Forgotten Hero. Here's a quick summary of his main movements though. He was under house arrest quite a bit in the subcontinent (I have an affliction for saying India now). He got the help of some people from Pakistan who helped him escape across the border and allowed him to travel to Germany (I believe he also tried Russia). He then went to Burma, I think then onto the Imphal capaigns. It's thought that he speeded up the independence of the subcontinent. In my opinion, Gandhi prolonged it.  
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 02:54

TeldeInduz, why you confuse with your pre-determined bias, when somebody asks information on Bose in general?

He is asking about a person of time, so clarify him, instead of bringing India-Pakistan, sub-continent and so on.

Bose has contributed definitely for India, whether you accept or otherwise. The question is how a leader behaved in his times to be remembered by others later.

He too tried his best with Jinnah to avoid partition, but everybody knows the history.

Coming to Ulrich von Hutten's querry, I request Hutten to go through some websites on Bose to have discussion specifically, as we in Tamilnadu know more about him, as he had a friend Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar and others.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 05:10
How's it "pre-determined" bias? It's an opinion, but how's it biased? Wasnt Bose a Hindu from Bengal, a complete opposite of anything Pakistani?

Originally posted by M.Nachiapan

Bose has contributed definitely for India, whether you accept or otherwise

I'm actually saying Bose contributed to subcontinent independence, if you could understand what I said. 

I don't think Bose made any comment on whether he wanted the subcontinent partitioned, unless you can prove otherwise.

M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:06
There has been correspondence between Jinnah and Bose.

Kindly go through and come for discussion.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:12
You say, "I'm actually saying Bose contributed to subcontinent independence, if you could understand what I said". 

Then, you add, "I don't think Bose made any comment on whether he wanted the subcontinent partitioned, unless you can prove otherwise".

Bose never fought for a "divided India". 
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:20
Originally posted by T.SELVAM

You say, "I'm actually saying Bose contributed to subcontinent independence, if you could understand what I said". 

Then, you add, "I don't think Bose made any comment on whether he wanted the subcontinent partitioned, unless you can prove otherwise".

So? What's up with that?

Bose never fought for a "divided India". 

So give me the reference where he was so against a divided subcontinent. I don't think he cared so much about that, he was more concerned with independence.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 12-Feb-2007 at 06:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:28
As I am online, I could get some details immediately:

Bose-Jinnah Correspondence
To Jinnah, 14 May 1938
To Jinnah, 15 May 1938
From Jinnah, 16 May 1938
From Jinnah, 6 June 1938
To Jinnah, 21 June 1938
To Jinnah, 27 June 1938
To Jinnah, 25 July 1938
From Jinnah, 2 August 1938
To Jinnah, 16 August 1938
To Jinnah, 2 October 1938
From Jinnah, 9 October 1938
To Jinnah, 16 December 1938

You can also try.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:31
Image:Subhash%20Chandra%20Bose%20and%20Jinnah.jpg
See Bose and Jinnah sitting and discussing together.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:36
lol, I dont get your point.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:46
You commented, "I don't think Bose made any comment on whether he wanted the subcontinent partitioned, unless you can prove otherwise". Now, you pretend, as if you do not know or understand, even after giving the details of correspondence.

I will give onme more evidence:

Bose worked best to have united Bengal and worked hard with Muslim League, but Jinnah did not agree with, though, he agreed for such proposition, if Congress agreed! That is why, Jinnah is generally considered as "communalist".

And you know, Bengalis wanted together, inspite of religion. That is why, West Pakistan lost East Pakistan!

Now, the partitioned Pakistan even after 1947, the West Pakistan becomes "Pakistan".
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:58

How does Bose meeting with Jinnah prove that he wanted a united subcontinent?

General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 07:15
And you know, Bengalis wanted together, inspite of religion. That is why, West Pakistan lost East Pakistan!

Bengalis did not "want together". They voted for the Muslim League in 1946 to seperate from West Bengal and form part of Pakistan. Their first concern was to break away from the subcontinent, then after this had been achieved they wanted to get independence from Pakistan.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 12-Feb-2007 at 07:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 07:19
Maulana Azad told the Viceroy on April 8 that partition would "spell disaster for the Mussulmans". But Nehru and Patel were set on it. Gandhi, however, began campaigning against partition after his return to Delhi on May 24, driving Mountbatten to denounce him repeatedly in private as "a dangerous Trotskyist", a Wrecker. He found the change hard to understand.

Gandhi, as well as Nehru and Patel, rejected the Sarat Bose-Suhrawardy pact / scheme on a united Bengal as a sovereign state. It would have buried the two-nation theory at the very birth of Pakistan. Jinnah told Mountbatten on April 6, 1947, that a united Bengal was acceptable to him.

Gandhi, however, demanded for the minorities in united Bengal safeguards, which he would not concede to the minorities in a united India. (vide the writer's essay on the united Bengal plan in The Partition in Retrospect edited by Amrik Singh; pages 246-258.)

So, Mr. TeldeInduz, can you give any supporting evidence for your claimthat "Bengalis did not "want together". , so that I can also go through and understand. 
 Post Reply Post Reply