Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

national heroes treated TOO justly!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: national heroes treated TOO justly!
    Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 18:11

Hmmm...some several posts here have convinced me that Lincoln is not as bad as I thought he was   Keep up!

Grrr..
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 23:59
Gustav Eriksson Wasa of Sweden - a machiavellian genious but a real sh*thead
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 00:27
You can never praise a machiavellian genius too much.
Member of IAEA
Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 10:46
Originally posted by Tobodai

name soem people whos personality cult and reputation as heros are either not deserved or over inflated.  heres some

Andrew jackson-just plain terrible, didnt actually do any bit of good for anyone, even his major victory was after then end of a war

Mustapha Kemal- I know Ill get flack from this one, but lets face it it, he was a facist dicatator who is now worshipped like a demigod.

That's pretty insulting Ataturk is not "now worshipped like a demigod". What would you know, have you ever lived in Turkey?

Nobody puts Ataturk and God in the same sentence.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 18:58

well you have opinions on things outside of your country to dont you?  Hypocrite.  I actually idealize Ataturk myself because hes a secularist, but he is practically worshipped, its a personality cult worthy of Ramses II, though it wont hold up as well.  You can see it right now in how easily you are offended.

As for other things

Temujin: The south was already moving to secede and was begining the process during the Buchanan presidency, before Lincoln took office.

Demon: JFK did not send Apollo to the moon, he merely stated rather abstractly that the US should send soemthing to the moon, it was in Nixons presidency that a moon landing was first effected. 

I do have to agree JFK is one of the most overated presidents of ALL TIME, lets see almost blew up the world, didnt do anything for civil rights YET somehow gets credit for doing something, set us ont eh course to Vietnam expansion under Johnson, could say he was a berliner in german...thats abvout it, in my opinion JFK isnt just overrated, hes BAD.

And no Benjamin Franklin was not a British spy, his son was, and even then not really a spy, more like the actual governor of New Jersry.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Faran View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Faran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 19:40

Khomeyni, for obvious reasons

Alexander the Great, because his extremely aggrandized, evil, contemptuous, concieted, cold personality is all too rarely mentionned.

Napoleon, who was also a terrible murderer but loved for the power he gave to France.

George W. Bush, because more than 0 people voted for him.

Henry Ford, racist, though a good business man

Woodrow Wilson, racist, though he was still a good president

The founders of McDonalds (McDonald brothers and Kroc) for obvious reasons.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 21:24
Originally posted by Faran

Napoleon, who was also a terrible murderer but loved for the power he gave to France.

who did he murder?

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 02:00

name soem people whos personality cult and reputation as heros are either not deserved or over inflated.  heres some

Mustapha Kemal- I know Ill get flack from this one, but lets face it it, he was a facist dicatator who is now worshipped like a demigod.

Tobodai ,

It seems like you are very effected from what I have written about Swedish social problems such as " it can not be declared tsunami victims because their houses can be plundered". Face it. You have severe problems in Sweden and instead of dealing with other nation's problem, try to solve your problems. 

Mustafa Kemal is the national hero of Turkey and mine and almost all Turkish forumers here.

I do not care what you think about him and I think (I am sure) you do not have enough information about him too. I am not expecting that you think about Mustafa Kemal as we did since I am a Turk and you are a Swedish. But you have to know to respect other's believes and values.

You are saying that he was a fascist. I advise you to start to learn what fascism is. While Turkey trying to save Jews of fascist Germany even Nazis were on the border of Turkey, Sweden was in cooperation with Hitler. As a Turk I am very happy about not having such a shame as you did.  

Edited by Alparslan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 04:10
Since when is Tobodai a Swede?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 05:50

i think he is Ethiopian or originaly from Ethiopia and live in the USA

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 10:38
Originally posted by demon

Andrew jackson-just plain terrible, didnt actually do any bit of good for anyone, even his major victory was after then end of a war

But he saved america in the battle of new orleans.

Surely an exaggeration? The first British assault on New Orleans was driven off, but before there was time for another everybody discovered the war was already over.

The battle was essentially meaningless.

Moreover the British weren't trying to reconquer the US in the war of 1812. If the battle had been won by the British it wouldn't have made much difference to anything. With the end of the Napoleonic wars the whole conflict lost any siginificance.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 10:42

I do have to agree JFK is one of the most overated presidents of ALL TIME, lets see almost blew up the world, didnt do anything for civil rights YET somehow gets credit for doing something, set us ont eh course to Vietnam expansion under Johnson, could say he was a berliner in german...

Actually he couldn't. Partly because he actually said that there could be no prouder boast than to say 'I am a Berliner', and din't claim to be one.

And partly because 'Ich bin ein Berliner' is German for 'I am a doughnut'. German for 'I am a Berliner' is 'Ich bin Berliner'.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 10:56

Originally posted by Temujin

techincally it was the Russians that declared war first in WW1...

Against whom? The war with Finland started on November 30 1939. The treaties imposed on the Baltic states weren't declarations of war, and anyway happened after the invasion of Poland by Germany. 

It's tricky, because what counts as a 'declaration or war'? The Chinese and Japanese had been fighting for four years before a formal declaration of war in 1941 after Pearl Harbour. Did Hitler declare war on Poland?

You may be right, but I'd like to hear the argument.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 11:47
my argument is that you got the wrong war, i said WW1, that pretty much excludes events takign place in 1939.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 14:43
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Faran

who did he murder?

4 m poeple

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 14:44
4 what?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 14:49
He means 4 million people

*checks*

It's more like 3 million: http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wars19c.htm#Napoleonic
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 15:28
actually it was only 1 million people that died during the Napoleonic wars, and of course they were not murdered by Napoleon. you can maybe blame royalist europe, but not France. the only one he murdered was the Duc d'Enghien.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 16:17

hmmm, because I defended Sweden in an unrelated thread I am now Swedish, though since Im not really I guess I dont have to live with that shame now do I?  Even if I did beleive in collective guilt, which I do not, nothing on the European continent could be attributed to me in "shame factor"

As for Napoleon:  It mattered not what he was trying to do, he failed, and in his failure he took million sof common soldiers from all over into the grave with him, they died for nothing but his mad ambition that failed in the end.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 16:53

I love Napoleon, if any country is asailed by enemies, they should pray to God for a Napoleon to save them. 

I'm visiting his tomb while I'm in Paris next month and plan to take a lot pictures of myself and the Great Bonaparte.

Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>