Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AE Magazine - February 2007 Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AE Magazine - February 2007 Edition
    Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 09:23

Romania and the Soviet Union 1965-1989
Among the Eastern European states which were under the sway of the Soviet Union during the Cold War, Romania was quite unique. Romania`s independent foreign policy which enabled it for a while to maintain friendly relations with the Soviet Union, the United States, China and most of the 3rd World all at once, made Ceausescu appear as somewhat of a maverick, at least to western eyes. (Decebal)

Khrushchev's Placement of Missiles in Cuba
The 13 days of the Cuban Missile Crisis stands as the most ominous period of the Cold War conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union. The world appeared to be on the edge of a nuclear abyss that that threatened to engulf the two superpowers. (Act of Oblivion)

The Effects of the Hussites
Jan Hus was a religious reformer in Bohemia in the early 1400s. It seems surprising, then, that from the movement formed from his death, that radical changes in military science would take place. These new ideas came mainly from Jan Zizka[1], one of the most brilliant defensive military minds the world has ever seen. Yet very few know of him, or the revolution he led. Later, the remnants of the movement would spark the Thirty Years War. (Timotheus)

Why some social groups benefited more than others from industrialization in 19th century Europe?
The industrial revolution, a period of transition and innovation, inevitably brought with it changes. Life for both rich and poor was changed forever. A way of life in Europe was passing away, when the lord of the manor, independent farmers, servants and workers that had previously lived independently in a vertically integrated society were replaced by a city based society of segregated social classes. (Wilpuri)

The Rise and Fall of Parchment
By the time scribes were copying their first works onto parchment in Europe, animal skins had been used as a writing material for thousands of years. (Reginmund)

The Republic of Novgorod
The Republic of Novgorod was situated around the city of Novgorod and nearby territories. The main areas of the Republic were around the Lake Ilmen. Later on, when the power of Novgorod grew, she joined areas that were far north, behind the lakes of Onega and Beloje. (Rider)

History of the Native Americans
The people presently known as the "Native Americans" emigrated from Asia some 13,000 years ago and settled in every corner of the vast continent now called "America". Still, they were never isolated. The first verified contact between Europeans and Indians, however, took place in the year 1000 A.D. when Vikings landed in Newfoundland. (Hope)

Famous Battles: The Battle of the Standard
Henry I of England died heirless in Normandy on 1 December 1135. Twice before his death Henry had extracted an oath from his leading barons and clergy that they should respect the rights of his daughter Mathildawidow of emperor Henry V and presently wife of Count Geoffrey of Anjouto the succession of the English throne. (Konstatinius)

This Month In History: February 2007
The 19th century Apache Wars were reputably among the bloodiest confrontations seen between the Native North American Indians and the United States military. Thomas More; lawyer, scholar, and a Lord Chancellor of England, was born in London. On February 15th, 1989, the government of the Soviet Union announced that the last of its troops had left Afghanistan. On February 27th, 1933, the seat of the German parliament in Berlin went up in flames. (Act of Oblivion)

Secret Societies: The Assassins
At the height of their power the Assassins held sway from Anatolia to Bombay and could bring down princes and Shahs alike. The Assassins were the most feared secret organisation of them all. Founded by Hassan I Sabbah in the 11th century, they were fanatical followers of Ismailis Islam which taught all actions were morally ambivalent, they originally formed in Cairo but when Hassan fell out with the Ismails sect leaders they headed for Persia and in 1090 captured the fortress Alamut. (Paul)

Films: Braveheart
The 1995 movie Braveheart, directed by the famous Mel Gibson, is a movie about the First Scottish War of Independence. It has won many awards, but what is not known by many of its worldwide fans is its inaccuracy on so many points. (Emperor Barbarossa)

Books: In the Heart of the Sea
In the Heart of the Sea relates the story of the ill-fated voyage of the whaleship Essex and the tragic survival story of its crew. On November the 20th 1820, an 84 foot whale sunk the 238 ton whaleship nearly 3,000 miles off the coast of South America. The crew than floundered about the endless expanse of the Pacific for 93 days in leaky whaleboats with little food and water. (Kilroy)

Historic texts: The Finnsburg Fragment
The Finnsburg Episode is part of Beowulf, the Anglo-Saxon epic poem. The Fragment is supposedly just a small part of the real piece that told us the story of what happened at Finnsburg. (Rider)

Books: Emperor, The Gates Of Rome
The story is the tale of two young romans coming of age on an estate out side Rome with the back drop of the chaos of the Marius and Sulla years. Learning the things a roman gentleman will need to know. (Dawn)

Photography: Cities of the Old Kingdom of Maya
A photo journey through the ancient Central American civilization. (Rider)

This Month's Picture Quiz:
Can you name this island?

Answer to last month's Picture Quiz:
Falcata, Spartha, kilij, Scottish Broadsword, Cut & Thrust
Broadsword, Zweihnder, Chinese Broadsword, Dha.

Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)

If there is to be peace in the world,
There must be peace in the nations.

If there is to be peace in the nations,
There must be peace in the cities.

If there is to be peace in the cities,
There must be peace between neighbors.

If there is to be peace between neighbors,
There must be peace in the home.

If there is to be peace in the home,
There must be peace in the heart.

Editorial

Welcome to the new revamped AE Magazine, a whopping 15 articles long. Apart form having the most content ever, the magazine has attracted the largest number of contributers too.

AE Magazine is no-longer simply a historical journal and we hope the greater diversity of content will attract contributions from those who want to contribute but feel they are not up to writing a full blown historical essay.

The Editors would like to thank all who contributed and would like to hear from any wouldbe writers, columnists, reviewers, artists and photographer.

Historical Photo of the Month
click to enlarge

London's Magnificent Albert Memorial, built in 1872 in Kensington Gardens.
 Photographed by Paul

Historic Website of the Month

Judging by the military forum, AE's full of armchair generals. Why not find out if you're as good as you think at the BBC's.

Battlefield Academy

AE Magazine, February Edition

Editors:
Rider
Emp. Barbarossa
Imperator Invictus
Morticia
Act of Oblivion
Dawn
Kilroy
Hugoestr
Paul

Contributing Writers: Wilpuri
Konstantinius
Reginmund
Decebal
Hope
Timotheus

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 09:46
Great work Paul and the gang. I'll have some fun reading material for this evening.Smile
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 20:46
WOW!!! So many articles in this issue!!!    

Paul, that's an awesome shot of Albert Memorial! I'm impressed!!

...and I love the image shown of Lao Tzu..he's just as I had imagined!

Congratulations on a great job to all who contributed in any way, shape or form!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 20:48
Superb!Clap
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 09:53
Thanks everyone.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 15:59
Perfect workClap
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 19:05
This is quite an extensive one this month, I applaud you all for the sheer volume of the work.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 21:42
Lovely.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 22:33
well done

is the island Sakhalin?
I am a free donkey!
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 02:29
Island: Korea
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 23:48
This was a great Magazine I particularly liked Timotheus article on the Hussites and Rider's photographs of Mayan cities of the "old kingdom" but it was great work all roundClap
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 10:24
I havent read it all so far but it looks good.  I would like to make one comment though. 
In the Wallace article, much of which was spot on i might add, its claimed that william wallace is of norman descent.  I havent heard this before.  I agree that by dressing him up in a kilt etc it gives a false image of Wallace but its generally agreed that Wallace was of Cymbric descent. 
Either from Wales or of Brythonic Strathclyde descent. 

Althoug his mothers identity is not proven it could of been Malcom Wallaces second wife Margaret de Crauford which sounds Norman, however the discovery of the William Wallaces seal in 1999 shows him to be the son of Alan Wallace and not Malcolm Wallace.

Edited by AyKurt - 11-Feb-2007 at 10:24
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 11:10
I read the article about the Native Americans and I find it good. However, there was a concept I didn't like it:

"Still, they were never isolated. "

Nope. Native Americans were isolated. The only contacts with people of the Old Word recorded and recognized by archaeologists are:

(1) The settlements of the Inuits that crossed the bering strait and settled from Alaska to Easter Canada, jumping into Greeland by the time of the Vikings.

(2) The landing of the Vikings in Newfoundland.

These are the only contact know. All the other thousands of stories that pseudo-historians like very much are false:

1- Martians never visited the Americans.
2- West Africans never sailed to the Americas.
3- Chineses fleet never arrived.
4- Polynesians got stuck in Easter Island 3.000 km from the continent
5- The lost tribes of Israel was not found in the Americas to form the mormon church.
6- Amerindians didn't have white God with norse faces.
7- Indians (of India) never reached the Americas nor they have maize.

All of that is pseudo-science. So the hypothesis that:

Is not true. From the practical point of view, native americans were isolated. That's what fascinating about them. They developed their own civilizations in parallel to the rest of the world.

Pinguin

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 06:08
You are getting better and betterClap
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 06:44
Originally posted by Majkes

You are getting better and betterClap

That is our point...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 06:45
Originally posted by pinguin

I read the article about the Native Americans and I find it good. However, there was a concept I didn't like it:

Nope. Native Americans were isolated.

Now, the question is: "Isolated from who?"

They weren't isolated from different tribes of themselves, plus they could move up and down the continent. I wouldn't say a civilization is isolated when it is not in contact with Europe...
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:45
Decebel

Do you have the references for your article?
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:53
Fab read, big thanks to everyone concerned.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 20:55
Nice article. Clap Superb

Join us.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:11

Pinguin: I am aware that the phrase was not very well written and the meaning was not as clear as it should have been.

Firstly, the Inuits and the Vikings are what we know about, and regarding pseudo history, that's a different discussion. However, when I say never isolated, Rider has found the core of my intention.

The different tribes traded with each other and travelled thousands of miles for trading purposes, or slave hunting for that matter. For instance, the Tlingit nation, located on the Pacific coast, and trade routes that connected them with inland tribes.

Also, other tribes elsewhere on the continent did have contact with each other in one way or another and therefore the different tribes were never isolated (which would have caused an extensive inbreed by the way).

Therefore I still claim that they were not isolated, but I apologize for the clumsy way of expression. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>