Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paris of Troy, was he a brave or coward?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paris of Troy, was he a brave or coward?
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:42
I watched the movie "Troy' long time ago. In the movie, Paris brought Helen of Sparta and made her his wife. This angered the Spartans and with Agamemnon's ambition for Troy... eventually caused the Trojan War. When the King of Sparta challenged a duel to Paris, he gladly accepts. However, Paris was beaten badly... and clanged to his brother, Hector, to protect him. Though Spartan King urged Paris to finish the duel, Hector could not ignore Paris' pled and finished the duel for Paris by killing the King of Sparta. I know that may not have necessary happened, but was Paris a coward? Or was he just forgotten hero who was overshadowed and discredited due to the Greek invaders?

Join us.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:21
Paris, by endangering his whole nation for the sake of his little infatuation, is a selfish little brat, in my opinion.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 01:11
Helen was far behind?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 01:28
Helen's behaviour was also very bad. Though I consider Paris' to be worse, because as a guest he was violating the goodwill of his host. 
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 06:54

Inciting war and killing thousands of people for the sake of one woman is romantic beyond reason, I can't help but applaud it. Clap

That being said, it's doubtful whether this war was actually waged for the sake of Helen, it sounds like another one of history's many weak pretenses for justifying conquest.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:03
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Helen's behaviour was also very bad. Though I consider Paris' to be worse, because as a guest he was violating the goodwill of his host. 

i could not add anything else

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by Reginmund

Inciting war and killing thousands of people for the sake of one woman is romantic beyond reason, I can't help but applaud it. Clap

That being said, it's doubtful whether this war was actually waged for the sake of Helen, it sounds like another one of history's many weak pretenses for justifying conquest.

I agree. Althougn I still believe that Paris should have had some self-control... I can't help to note that compared to other conflicts due to hatred, greed and other selfish reasons... I suppose fighing for love makes sense above all others...Embarrassed

Join us.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 16:48
     He should only have taken her if a war with Sparta and its allies would be of any benefit to Troy. He didn't think about it from the perspective of the state, in fact he didn't think about it from any perspective other than his own. That was his downfall.

Originally posted by pekau

I suppose fighing for love makes sense above all others...Embarrassed

Yes but when the risks of such a love involve all-out war, the only love you should have is for your country and the well-being of its inhabitants. Paris acted like a child, not a prince, and he was serving himself at the expense of the state, when he should have been doing the exact opposite.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 07-Feb-2007 at 16:49
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 02:47

I know that may not have necessary happened, but was Paris a coward? Or was he just forgotten hero who was overshadowed and discredited due to the Greek invaders?

Historically, he may well have been some local hero who was incorporated into the Iliad to became the archetypical bad guy. He portrays all kinds of qualities a classical Greek would despise: he is driven by carnal desire; he disrespects Menelaos, whose guest he was, by stealing his wife; he is overcome by fear when he has to fight Menelaos. The opposite goes for his brother Hector, who is portrayed in a sympathetic way, being a sensible and brave man, and more than a match for most Greek warriors throughout.

By the way, in the Iliad Paris was rescued by Aphrodite and Menelaos wasn't killed at all. The moviemakers just made that up. I deplore the way the gods were written out of the story, it makes the movie a very mediocre one.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:56
Originally posted by Lepidodendron

I know that may not have necessary happened, but was Paris a coward? Or was he just forgotten hero who was overshadowed and discredited due to the Greek invaders?

Historically, he may well have been some local hero who was incorporated into the Iliad to became the archetypical bad guy. He portrays all kinds of qualities a classical Greek would despise: he is driven by carnal desire; he disrespects Menelaos, whose guest he was, by stealing his wife; he is overcome by fear when he has to fight Menelaos. The opposite goes for his brother Hector, who is portrayed in a sympathetic way, being a sensible and brave man, and more than a match for most Greek warriors throughout.

By the way, in the Iliad Paris was rescued by Aphrodite and Menelaos wasn't killed at all. The moviemakers just made that up. I deplore the way the gods were written out of the story, it makes the movie a very mediocre one.

Damn the Hollywood... I wondered about that when Meneloas was killed in the movie, since in "Odyssey", the tale talks about the grand meeting with Meneloas in Sparta with Helen... now freed from the spell of the Goddess.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

He should only have taken her if a war with Sparta and its allies would be of any benefit to Troy. He didn't think about it from the perspective of the state, in fact he didn't think about it from any perspective other than his own. That was his downfall.

I suppose fighing for love makes sense above all others...Embarrassed

Yes but when the risks of such a love involve all-out war, the only love you should have is for your country and the well-being of its inhabitants. Paris acted like a child, not a prince, and he was serving himself at the expense of the state, when he should have been doing the exact opposite.

Very true. It's a sad thing that love was the reason for thousands of death. Of course, Trojan War was more than just Helen...

Join us.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 07:52
US attacked Iraq becouse Saddam and Laura Bush were caught in the same bed.how unlucky.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 00:34

I used to think that Helen was just a whore myself, but(if you go with the original story) she is said to have had a child with Menelaus, even though she never loved him or enjoyed being his Queen, and that she actually fell in love with Paris. Now, if she was truely the most beautiful woman alive, i seriously doubt that any King would have been willing to lose possession of "that" under any circumstances.

Paris...i think was still being a tad bit "selfish", in that he..as a Prince of a Kingdom, put his peoples lives in "jeopardy"(if you will), by stealing the Queen of A Ruler of another Kingdom. A member of a nation's ruling family, is supposed to have the "well-being" of his people in mind at all times. He is supposed to be strong enough to keep is own personal desires "in check", secondary to his nation.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 00:49
Originally posted by Penelope

I used to think that Helen was just a whore myself, but(if you go with the original story) she is said to have had a child with Menelaus, even though she never loved him or enjoyed being his Queen, and that she actually fell in love with Paris. Now, if she was truely the most beautiful woman alive, i seriously doubt that any King would have been willing to lose possession of "that" under any circumstances.

Paris...i think was still being a tad bit "selfish", in that he..as a Prince of a Kingdom, put his peoples lives in "jeopardy"(if you will), by stealing the Queen of A Ruler of another Kingdom. A member of a nation's ruling family, is supposed to have the "well-being" of his people in mind at all times. He is supposed to be strong enough to keep is own personal desires "in check", secondary to his nation.

Ah, the youth are so misunderstood... (Just kiddingLOL)

I think so as well. But I think fighting for love is better than other less noble reasons, such as wealth and power. At least love is sincere... corruption for power, glory and wealth just looks ugly.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 00:55
According to Odysseus by Homer, Telemachus (Son of Odysseus) talked to Menelaus and Helen... and Helen claimed that she fell for the spell of Aphrodite and she regretted her "kidnapping" by Paris, prince of Troy.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply