Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Was Ancient Greek Religion originally Mono-theist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Ancient Greek Religion originally Mono-theist?
    Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 19:20
you can count me in for celebrating a Dionysian festival, honoring the god of wine and lust in physical ways, and I'm not even Greek! 
elenos
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 23:31
Originally posted by Athanasios

If i'm correct , Plato Aristotle and Socrates mentioned one real God and they are considered by Greek Orthodox church as a kind of saints(i'm not pretty sure but i can still remember a wall painting of Fotis Kontoglou when those three were depicted as typical Greek orthodox saints). Socrates Aristoteles and Plato in order to "fight" the Gods of the Athenean democratic society , the mythological ones ,manufactured the god of metaphysics and ideology, that was connected with the theories of philosophers and the sovereigns of oligarchy.Thus, the god of metaphysics is absolutely spiritual, is impersonal, a being that in his has a group of abstract ideas.

good post. i was also under the impression that the neo-platonist believed in the one god. a philosophical god in the the ancient world impersonal, passive, Good, but alien and therefore more convincingly infinite than the Abrahamic god. The monad of the Pythagoreans may be a part of this line of belief.
Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 02:49
Originally posted by Bulldog

Actually you'll find most religions began as Monothiest, later it turned to polythiesm to explain the immense power of the creater God in way's more easier for us to comprehend. For example Hinduism was initially Monothiest and to some still is.

In general I would agree. Going back at least as far as the middle bronze age, the religions of tribes and city states in the near east revolved around single individual patron gods. These tutelary deities usually functioned as the creator of the universe, founder of the town, and the sustainers of fertility. In fact in pre-dynastic Egypt the word to settlement translated literally as "abode of the god".  Syncretistic polytheism only arose systematically out of the need to accommodate the conquered peoples(and their gods) of large multi-cultural empires.

I think though, the closest the ancient Greeks ever came to monotheism was Hesiod's Theogony. The earliest "greeks" the Mycenaeans, principally worshiped their tutelary mother goddess Potnia (Our lady of Mycenae, of  Athens, of Knossos, etc.) but also dozens of lesser gods and goddesses, including some of the classical ones...  

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 16:27
Patron deities are NOT monotheism. If you're talking about the gods of city-states in Mesopotamia, they certainly did not view the patron city gods as creators of the universe etc; there was a pantheon that existed over and above the patron of each city. The chief god of the pantheon - El - was the patron of no city.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2014 at 03:00
Monotheistic,Good comes as male&female,it depends of characteristic&feature you need!It looks like omnipotent Good which it is still!Big smile

Edited by medenaywe - 23-Dec-2014 at 05:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12