Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran's Defence industry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran's Defence industry
    Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 13:30
Originally posted by Hellios

Panha-2091:

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 13:32
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 13:43
Originally posted by Cryptic

The F-4 Phantom has got to be one of the best designed weapons in modern history.
Multi roled aircraft (n) -  See F-4 Phantom!!

Cryptic, Iranian F-4 Phantoms:

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 14:06
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 14:11
Navy helicopter:

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 14:22

Looks Russian:

Are these Antonovs?

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 14:25
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 14:28
C-130:

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 14:55
I have no idea, is that the only engine it has? Or is that just the angle?

Edited by Zagros - 09-Feb-2007 at 14:56
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 14:55

Iran-140:

Iran-140:

I read Iran makes AWACS aircraft based on their Iran-140 but I haven't seen any photos of real ones yet.
A company called HESA claims to be doing it.

More info here:

I'll look for photos of real Iranian AWACS (if there are any) & post them.

Edited by Hellios - 05-Mar-2007 at 22:26
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by Zagros

I have no idea, is that the only engine it has? Or is that just the angle?

Edited by Hellios - 10-Feb-2007 at 06:59
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 21:00
I have seen one of those behemoths... When I flew from Tehran to the hallowed soil of Kermanshah, one of those beasts with Russian markings was parked about 200m away. Thos eplanes are a lot bigger in real life than what they look in those pics.

Those G-3s, they are not suitable for Iran, give me an AK anyday! I have heard vets speak of how they used to jam if they weren't cleaned more than regularly.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 19:04

Alvand class patrol vessels.

Designations:
DE-71 Alvand
DE-72 Alborz
DE-73 Sabalan
DE-74 Sahand

Armaments:
4 missile launchers.
1 Mk 8 114 mm cannon.
1 twin 20 mm gun.
3 mortar launchers (81 mm).
2 torpedo tubes.
2 machine-guns.

Basically, these are Vosper Mk 5 types.

DE-71 Alvand:

Below is another Alvand class patrol vessel (on the left).
The bigger ship (421) looks like a support vessel.

DE-73 Sabalan (left):

DE-71 Alvand (right) with 2 Kilo class subs + 1 B7H landing hovercraft:

Edited by Hellios - 10-Feb-2007 at 19:06
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 15:48
Iranian navy commandos:

Edited by Hellios - 13-Feb-2007 at 16:24
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 16:23

I didn't notice (before) that this patrol boat has a rear gun also, close to the missiles.

The front gun is a Russian AK-630.
The AK-630 "ship artillery system" can defend against air & surface threats.

Same gun on Russian exports like this Zubr:

The missiles (on the Iranian patrol boat below) are probably Kowsars.

Edited by Hellios - 13-Feb-2007 at 16:24
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 17:04
How is it operated? looks very cool.

Those frogmen were used very effectively in the Ira-Iraq war preparing the spear heads for multi-dimensional assaults on the Iraqi side post 1982.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 17:23
The missile boats are probably carrying C-802 missiles. Originally from China though I've read that Iran can make their own version of it. The Kowsar I dont believe has sea launching abilities as of yet at least.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 23:41

How is it operated?

It's controlled by an electronic targeting system that works with (separate) fire-control & optical (or radar) tracking modules.  This makes it able to hit incoming missiles, aircraft, naval units, plus direct and/or indirect shelling of coastal targets.  I'm surprised to see this gun an a small patrol boat because it's usually seen on bigger & more valuable units.

The gun's console:

The gun's inner workings:

You read Russian? Smile

Edited by Hellios - 13-Feb-2007 at 23:43
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 12:14
Nice. What's the hit rate on missiles?
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 17:59

What's the hit rate on missiles?

I don't have those stats on the AK-630 gun, sorry.
For missile defence, some Russians claim it's as effective as the Phalanx gun, but I doubt it. Smile
For use against surface threats, it's much better than the Phalanx gun.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 18:08
Well, the Phallanx is at least proven in live combat. When the US decided to attack Iran after they hit a sea mine in the Persian Gulf an Iranian warship fired a harpoon at a US ship which was taken out by the phallanx.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 17:44
These 2 clips are not new, but still interesting...

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 23:59
As usual i'll post mainly on the missiles.

Generally, the designations can be a bit confused, as the same names get used on different systems. We can tell roughly what these missiles capabilities are, by looking up the Chinese original but it would be impossible to know what the Iranians have enhanced or changed or verify what the Chinese stated/reported capabilities.

Kowsar (C_801) YJ-8

The Medium fange 'Kowsar' anti ship missile which is and Iranian version/copy/import ??? of the chinese C-801 (YJ-8) which gets compared to a exocet.

"Iran tested the Kowsar "medium-range missile," which the Iranians said is impervious to electronic jamming. The Kowsar bears a strong resemblance to the Chinese-designed C-801 anti-ship missile, which is itself similar to the French Exocet missile. It is unclear what anti-jamming capabilities the Iranians were referring to; perhaps they have developed a version of the C-801 that uses passive guidance to track its target."Source

More about the C-801 from sino defense

"The YJ-8 features a slim cylinder body with round nose, trapezoid wings and stubby fins near the end of the body. The nose section consists of a mono-pulse, high-frequency (possibly J-band) terminal guidance radar seeker with a 165kg semi-armour-piercing warhead behind it. The instrument compartment containing the guidance command processor, vertical gyro, radio altimeter and its antenna, is located in front of the rocket motor. The terminal guidance radar with mono-pulse system possesses high anti-jamming capabilities. The high precision radio altimeter allows the missile to have minimum-altitude flight above the sea. It uses a semi-armour-piercing anti-personnel blast warhead which relies on the missile's kinetic energy to pierce the deck of a ship, penetrate into and explode in the ship's interior. During final design flight tests, one missile sank a target ship of 10,000t displacement" Sino Defence

Noor (C-802) YJ-82

The 'Noor' missile which is longer ranged and based of the chinese C-802 (YJ-82) , this is very similar to the US harpoon

YJ-82 (C-802)

The YJ-82 (C-802) was derived from the YJ-8 with extended range. The YJ-82 is externally similar to the YJ-8, and has the same solid-propellant rocket booster and guidance system. The most distinctive difference on the YJ-82 is that it employs a turbojet with paraffin-based fuel to replace the original solid rocket engine. This caused the fuselage to be extended to accommodate the extra fuel. The max range of the missile has also been extended to 120km, comparing to 40km range of YJ-8 and 80km range of YJ-81.

The YJ-82 has only developed shore-to-ship variant launched from land-based vehicles. The missile received no order from the PLA. Following the 1991 Gulf War, Iran purchased about 60 land-launched C-802 missiles, which were deployed in coastal batteries on Qeshm Island." Sino Defence

Chinese stated capabilities, Iran's should be close to this.

SPECIFICATIONS

Length: (YJ-8) 5.814m; (YJ-82) 6.392m
Diameter: 0.36m
Wingspan: (YJ-8) 1.18m; (YJ-82) 1.22m
Launch weight: 815kg
Warhead: 165 kg time-delayed semi-armour-piercing high-explosive
Propulsion: (YJ-8) One solid rocket engine, one solid booster; (YJ-82) One turbojet engine, one solid booster
Max speed: Mach 0.9
Max range: (YJ-8) 42km; (YJ-81) 80km; (YJ-82) 120km; YJ-83 (150~200km)
Flight Altitude: 20~30m (flight); 5~7m (attacking)
Guidance Mode: Inertial and terminal active radar
Single-Shot Hit Probability: 75%

Further enhancments?

"In early 2000 it was reported that North Korea and Iran were jointly developing an advanced version of the C-802 cruise missile. These missiles initially acquired by Iran were not equipped with advanced systems, and the missiles acquired by Iran were rather outdated. Iran turned to North Korea for missile system technology, and the two countries are jointly developing an upgraded version with improved accuracy. ["N. Korea, Iran Jointly Develop Missile: Report" Korea Times February 17, 2000]"
Source

Edited by Hellios - 05-Mar-2007 at 22:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>