Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iran's Defence industry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iran's Defence industry
    Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:22
Alvand class patrol vessels.

Designations:
DE-71 Alvand
DE-72 Alborz
DE-73 Sabalan
DE-74 Sahand

Armaments:
4 missile launchers.
1 Mk 8 114 mm cannon.
1 twin 20 mm gun.
3 mortar launchers (81 mm).
2 torpedo tubes.
2 machine-guns.

Basically, these are Vosper Mk 5 types.

DE-71 Alvand:

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by Knights

Good thread going here Hellios - with fabulous photos as well.

The Iranian built Saeqeh, which means thunderbolt in Persian.

Thanks for the video!

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:18
Originally posted by Hellios

This looks like some kind of coastal defence weapon:

What is it?

The size and fin configuration make it look alot like a silkworm. That would be my guess.

Edited by Hellios - 07-Feb-2007 at 15:14
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 15:02
Originally posted by Gundamor

How exactly are they keeping the F-14's flying?

American companies have been selling F-14 parts to Iran for decades (until recently) so Iran has probably been stocking up enough to last years, or maybe the parts can be reverse engineered, don't know...

I've read analysts say Iran probably can only get 7 in the air yet a few years ago American E-3's spotted 14 flying around.

Do you know how many do they have total?

I imagine they can fit the Moskit SS-N-22 Sunburn's (they probably have them though its not confirmed) on them which is the most lethal anti ship missile in the world today. Even the U.S. navy has no defense for it.

The F-14 also fits some serious long-range air-to-air & air-to-ground missiles & the aircraft is capable of huge bursts of speed to get into range, launch, retreat.

Edited by Hellios - 08-Feb-2007 at 22:11
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 15:27
If you mean the last Tomcat I would say Aim 54 Phoenix missile. Probably modified or upgraded by the IRIAF. It was one of the reasons the F-14 remained in service in the USN for so long as its quite a large missile. I've seen videos of the IRIAF firing MIM 23 hawks from F-14 as well but it looks more like a Phoenix.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 08:48
Such a beautiful plane:

Edited by Hellios - 10-Feb-2007 at 19:14
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 12:26
Would these planes have a chance against lets say a F-15C Strike Eagle or is even that too advanced for them?
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 12:43
Damn, F-14s are my favorite fighters, too bad Iran has 'em. Anyways, F-14s, at least the US ones, were able to engage 6 targets up to 90 miles away, but I doubt the Iranian versions are as up to date as the US ones. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 18:57
Adalwolf, the types of F-14a sold to Iran were more advanced than those int he US inventory. The Iranian planes can also engage 6 targets and also the missiles (Phoenix) outrange anything in the present US air to air inventory.

Vulkan, do you mean in a dog-fight? I am not sure, but like I said, the F-14 will be able to fire from a farther range and also they are very agile planes. 

Edited by Hellios - 08-Feb-2007 at 22:14
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:53
What?! Who the hell sold them more advanced F-14s?!? Tha't smacks of treason! 
     Edward Abbey
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 22:45
damnit kid read your history, before the Iranian revolution and the rise of the Mullahs the Iranian Shah Reza Pahlavi was an ally of the US(Heck the initial post-revolutionary government was open to working with the US).  The US sold the F-14s to what was at the time an ally of the US.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 23:32
Originally posted by Zagros

Adalwolf, the types of F-14a sold to Iran were more advanced than those int he US inventory. The Iranian planes can also engage 6 targets and also the missiles (Phoenix) outrange anything in the present US air to air inventory.

Vulkan, do you mean in a dog-fight? I am not sure, but like I said, the F-14 will be able to fire from a farther range and also they are very agile planes. 

Yes Zagros I checked it out and it turns out that F-14 is classified as a Fourth Generation fighter aircraft along with original F-15, F-16 and F-18. However these aircraft have been upgraded many times since then while the F-14 is only in service with Iranian armed forces being discontinued here in the US and replaced by the variants of F-18.
I guess increased range might help it a little against these planes and might even against their derivatives but I don't think it would stand a chance with newer planes like the Eurofighter, let alone the F-22 raptor.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 05:15
Originally posted by vulkan02

Yes Zagros I checked it out and it turns out that F-14 is classified as a Fourth Generation fighter aircraft along with original F-15, F-16 and F-18. However these aircraft have been upgraded many times since then while the F-14 is only in service with Iranian armed forces being discontinued here in the US and replaced by the variants of F-18.
I guess increased range might help it a little against these planes and might even against their derivatives but I don't think it would stand a chance with newer planes like the Eurofighter, let alone the F-22 raptor.
I was of the opion the later model F15 should be able to take one out. The F14 is a very good dog fighter, but its old 4th gen and im not to sure about the phoenix missiles effectiveness in this scenario apart from range.

"The AIM-54 was primarily designed for long-range fleet defense against incoming bomber streams, a threat which has dimished nowadays. Although it can theoretically also be used against low-flying high-speed anti-ship missiles, there are more effective weapons for this role"Link

I read (long ago) the Iranians use F14's to co-ordinate other fighters because their radars were very powerful and i would imagine too valuable to risk at the front.

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Feb-2007 at 05:17
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 09:02
Zagros,

I didn't know that Iran has Flankers...

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 11:40
Vulkan, last I heard the engines and radar on the F-14s were being upgraded with new Russian technology (phased array radar?), this was in 2005, so I don't know!

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 14:16
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 11:52
Originally posted by Laelius

damnit kid read your history, before the Iranian revolution and the rise of the Mullahs the Iranian Shah Reza Pahlavi was an ally of the US(Heck the initial post-revolutionary government was open to working with the US).  The US sold the F-14s to what was at the time an ally of the US.

I know we sold them to the Shah, but that was in the 70s or something, and to my knowledge we didn't send them any upgrades are spare parts, so I thought the Iranian F-14s basically just sat in their hangers!
     Edward Abbey
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 12:53
Originally posted by Adalwolf

I know we sold them to the Shah, but that was in the 70s or something, and to my knowledge we didn't send them any upgrades are spare parts, so I thought the Iranian F-14s basically just sat in their hangers!

Yes US stopped all sales after that of parts and everything. Iranians, like Zagros said, upgraded the radar and modified the plans so it fires RD russian missiles instead of US' AIM. Who knows they might have even changed the tracking system to that of the MIG-29 and made the plane more effective.

The F-14 might be just as good as the latest of planes when your talking about ranged and weapon capability. Im really doubtful though, that its speed and agility can match that of the latest fighters.

Edited by vulkan02 - 09-Feb-2007 at 12:53
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 13:15

80 of them to be exact. I'm assuming they canabalized some to fix others. Does anyone know how many are functional today? (unless it's already mentioned earlier in the thread Embarrassed)
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 13:17
Airborne tanker:

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 13:18
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 13:20
Azarakhsh: 

Edited by Hellios - 09-Feb-2007 at 13:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>