Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternate Explanations for the Universe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternate Explanations for the Universe
    Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:28
Personally I've become more and more distasteful of the ways scientists claim some theories as facts, when this doesn't allow for alternate theories.

This has led me to an interesting website that tries to explain a universe that doesn't involve the big bang, rather this website claims a belief in an infinite universe that needs no beginning or end. It also explains in detail the physics involved in such a world.

I cannot post all of it, because of space issues, but here are the links and some of the articles.

Basically summarised, the current paradigm of representing matter as discrete 'particles' that generate 'fields' in 'space-time', while useful, is only an approximation of reality, and it causes numerous problems because of this. (This is well known, and explains the academic foundations of our postmodern culture of no absolute truths).
To correct these errors it is necessary to reject the 'particle' conception of matter (as Einstein did, see below) and describe matter in terms of Spherical Standing Waves in Space that cause the particle effect at their Wave-Center.

Effectively we are combining the Absolute Space assumed by Newton (1678) with the spherically spatially extended structure of matter as assumed by Albert Einstein in his Theory of Relativity (1905 - 1916) and the scalar wave properties of matter discovered by Schrodinger and de Broglie (foundations of Quantum Theory, 1928).
Two further points are important here to correctly understand these central concepts of the Wave Structure of Matter.

Firstly, Newton's Absolute Space was considered a 'background' reference frame for the motion (and acceleration) of matter 'particles'. Thus in Newton's Space matter did not affect Space (matter was somehow separate as 'particles'). Einstein rejected the 'particle' conception of matter and tried to unite matter and Space (and time, gravity) as one thing, by representing matter as continuous spherical fields. So in Einstein's relativity matter does affect Space, as matter and space are united (i.e. matter is spherically spatially extended and represented as a spherical field).
The Wave Structure of Matter agrees with Einstein, Matter and Space are one and the same thing (there are no 'particles'), and thus matter does affect space and its properties. The central difference is we are describing matter in terms of Spherical Waves in Continuous Space, rather than Einstein's (failed) field theory of matter as Continuous Spherical Fields in Space-Time.

Secondly, and this is mainly to physicists, it is important to recognise that there are two very different types of waves used in physics, the vector electromagnetic waves developed by Maxwell, which describe both a quantity and direction of force, and the Scalar waves of Quantum Theory, which are described by a Wave Amplitude only. The Wave Structure of Matter, which describes matter as Spherical Waves in a physically real Space, requires the use of the Scalar Waves from Quantum Theory (as Physicists would know, there are no spherical solutions for vector electromagnetic waves - which is why Richard Feynman had such problems!)

The Wave Structure of Matter is explained in more detail in the short summary to physics below. And while I do realise that new knowledge is generally confusing to begin (a limitation of the human mind that affects us all), I can assure you, that once understood, the Wave Structure of Matter is surprisingly simple, and very obvious and sensible...........

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/

Einstein's General Relativity requires a finite spherical universe (it cannot be infinite because of Mach's Principle, with which Einstein strongly agreed, that the mass of a body is finite, is determined by all other matter in the universe, thus all other matter in universe must be finite).
Two problems;
a) What surrounds this finite spherical universe? (Einstein used his spherical ellipsoidal geometry of General Relativity to propose curved space - if you travel in any one direction you will curve around and eventually return to your starting point - subtle, clever, weird, wrong).
b) What stops finite spherical universe gravitationally collapsing (thus Einstein's Cosmological / Antigravity Constant).

2. Two discoveries, one theoretical, one empirical sent Cosmology down the path of the Big Bang Theory for the creation of our universe.
a) Friedman used Einstein's equations to show that an expanding universe was possible by the equations, and solved the problem of the collapsing universe and thus removed the need for Einstein's Cosmological constant. Einstein was reluctant - believing in a static (non-expanding universe).
b) Then Hubble famously showed the relationship between distance and redshift. If Doppler shift caused this redshift then it meant stars / galaxies were moving apart.
Einstein, swayed by this argument, changed his mind - thus his comment 'My biggest blunder' referring to the Cosmological Constant.

As we shall explain though, this is not the correct solution, in fact Einstein's 'cosmological constant is largely correct, but it is not caused by anti-gravity within the universe, but by the gravitational forces of matter outside our finite spherical universe within an infinite space.
Further (and this will be explained in detail below, and thus will make more sense if you persevere!)

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmology-albert-einstein-universe-astrophysics.htm

The only test of scientific truth is how well a theory corresponds to the world we observe. Does it predict things that we can then see? Or do our observations of nature show things that a theory says are impossible? No matter how well liked a theory may be, if observation contradicts it, then it must be rejected. For science to be useful, it must provide an increasingly true and deep description of nature, not a prescription of what nature must be.

In the past four years crucial observations have flatly contradicted the assumptions and predictions of the Big Bang. Because the Big Bang supposedly occurred only about twenty billion years ago, nothing in the cosmos can be older than this. Yet in 1986 astronomers discovered that galaxies compose huge agglomerations a billion light-years across; such mammoth clustering of matter must have taken a hundred billion years to form. Just as early geological theory, which sought to compress the earth's history into a biblical few thousand years crumbled when confronted with the aeons needed to build up a mountain range, so the concept of a Big Bang is undetermined by the existence of these vast and ancient superclusters of galaxies.
These enormous ribbons of matter, whose reality was confirmed during 1990, also refute a basic premise of the Big Bang - that the universe was, at its origin, perfectly smooth and homogeneous. Theorists admit that they can see no way to get from the perfect universe of the Big Bang to the clumpy, imperfect universe of today.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Cosmology-Big-Bang-Theory.htm

If we abide by the rules of Science, which aims to unite a posteriori / empirical evidence from our Senses with a priori reason / logic from Principles, it is clear that we can now describe Matter (Reality) more simply in terms of Spherical Standing Waves in Space (rather than discrete particles and forces / fields in space and time).
And as Wittgenstein rightly observed, Philosophical problems arise when language goes on holiday.
The purpose of this website is to explain and solve these previous philosophical problems that arose because of the wrong metaphysical foundations of our language (currently founded on four separate things - Matter as 'Particles' generating 'Forces / Fields' in 'Space' and 'Time').
Very briefly summarised;
To unite these four separate things we must describe Reality from One Thing. The Metaphysics of Space and Motion and the Wave Structure of Matter is founded on One Principle which describes One Substance, Space, and its Properties as a Wave-Medium. Matter Exists as Spherical Standing Waves in Space.
The discrete 'particle' effect of matter is formed by the Wave-Center of the Spherical Standing Waves. (See Diagrams below.)
Time
is caused by wave Motion (as spherical wave motions of Space which cause matter's activity and the phenomena of time).
Forces / Fields result from wave interactions of the Spherical In and Out Waves with other matter in the universe which change the location of the Wave-Center (and which we 'see' as a 'force accelerating a particle'.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmos-space-time-matter-motion.htm

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:32
Other areas of the site of interest to the topic.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmology-wsm-summary-infinite-space.htm

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmology-equation-of-cosmos.htm

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmology-hubble-redshift-with-distance.htm

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmic-microwave-background-radiation.htm

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/cosmos-second-law-thermodynamics-time.htm

I'd be interested, if someone actually takes the time to read all (or at least most) of these articles to discuss the ideas contained within them. Perhaps by posting the specific quote from the site you agree/disagree with?

I know when I find stuff like this on the internet it gets the old hamster running inside my head, and was just wondering if this site is utter crap or has a point.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 07:21
What stands out as puzzling was the continual emphasis of the word 'spherical' and references to 'spherical fields' plus the suggestion that GR requires a 'spherical' universe. It begins to sound a bit like a mantra, which is worrying.

Otherwise from the extracts quoted it seemed to be reasonably sensible but not terribly surprising. If I get time I'll probably look at it closer.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 07:40

What stands out as puzzling was the continual emphasis of the word 'spherical' and references to 'spherical fields' plus the suggestion that GR requires a 'spherical' universe. It begins to sound a bit like a mantra, which is worrying.

Yea....it appears to me that the creators of the site are the kinds of people that believe in something akin to a divine prescense of the universe itself. So mantra might be an appropriate term. Spiritual beliefs aside, the particle-wave theory seems interesting. (Although the way it's explained, in my head anyway, is that everything that will ever happen has all ready happened and that in our sense of time we are just in the process of catching up, or something like that, it gets a bit confusing.)

I know its a lot of material to go over, (it took me a couple of days to read it), so I just hope that this thread doesn't get buried before any meaningful conversation starts.

Segestan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Segestan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:41

<<<<<....The only test of scientific truth is how well a theory corresponds to the world we observe. Does it predict things that we can then see? Or do our observations of nature show things that a theory says are impossible? No matter how well liked a theory may be, if observation contradicts it, then it must be rejected. For science to be useful, it must provide an increasingly true and deep description of nature, not a prescription of what nature must be.....>>>>

This is a logical analysis; however it over looks the conscious nature of living as man or beast, and this logical view is the very reason that the secrets of the universe will never be revealed to the living, at least not within the present designs of the finites drama. To live , of this life , the finite life; is to be born free, that is to become born -within- and -out of-  the everlasting confines of the universal constant , that is to say, those who live are temporally removed , individually , through the birth as body and soul, out of, from the cosmic hive , aka ...the universal constant, this is the spiritual truth, regardless of observation logic. The spiritual Truth ,  is the truth of origin, the truth of origin and the constant condition of origin, is the very reason scientist cannot see the actual workings of nature, it  having a pattern that seems to explain it all. To explain matter is to also attempt to explain the consciousness of certain parts, and all of the doings or acts of consciousness , all done through the compilation of that matter. No two beings are exactly alike , not man nor beast. Scientist only reason parts of the workings of the universe. They attempt the explanation of that which only the eye of the finite is allowed to see, feel, and smell. An incomplete formula.

regards,

Fate is Our Fortune
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 18:44
Even with scientific achievements that men gathered for over thousands of years... we are still clueless regarding the wonder of the nature that could only be described divine. For instance, light cannot move in complete vaccum... and yet we see light in the universe. So, is there such thing as vaccum... or is there something that we simply failed to find... as usual.

I guess mankind's knowledge to the universe is still limited. Theory of Relatively, Quantum Theorem, Einstein's linear equation, Maxwell's Wave Theory, etc. I often find it suprising how science and religion, supposedly the two great nemesis, have so much in common. I think in the end, our effort to increase our knowledge is like quest of Godhood... wanting to know all that's happening in the universe. Could we say that science is the path of Godhood then, quite frankly, is science not sacred and divine, as the religious people sees the divine beliefs?

Sleepy... I am not making any points here...

I guess what I am trying to say is that when science = religion would be the ultimate knowledge that men would possess. The truth will be revealed in the end, and I'll be waiting for such moment in afterlife.

Join us.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 19:11

Some years back, I read about a theory which states, that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

I tend to think this has already happened.

~ Northman

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 21:14
Originally posted by Northman

Some years back, I read about a theory which states, that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

I tend to think this has already happened.

~ Northman

Indeed. Someone once said that more discoveries and answers would create more confusions and questions...

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 08:00
We should never forget that science doesn't search for the final truth but for models that REPRESENT what the know TODAY about reality.

Models are created, tested, changed and discarted.

Most models of reality that physics have today will be obsolete in the future, like the ether, the flogist or the Lammarckian evolution theory are now.

Occam razor is still working discarting fantasies and, who know, perhaps black holes or quantum mechanics could be sent to the garbagge can in the near future. No theory has the future assured LOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 06-Feb-2007 at 08:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 08:53
Jee, you guys are all really clever
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 14:53

Most models of reality that physics have today will be obsolete in the future, like the ether, the flogist or the Lammarckian evolution theory are now.

That's the problem though pinguin, modern science is trampling any alternative theories because of two reasons.

1. Scientists have all staked their claims on the traditional theories and thus are too far involved in it to say they are wrong.

2. These same scientists justify their own position by rejecting articles in their journals that are contrary to their own thoughts. Thus hindering the scientific process and contradicting the entire point of scientific journals.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:14
Originally posted by JanusRook

Originally posted by pinguin

That's the problem though pinguin, modern science is trampling any alternative theories because of two reasons.

1. Scientists have all staked their claims on the traditional theories and thus are too far involved in it to say they are wrong.

2. These same scientists justify their own position by rejecting articles in their journals that are contrary to their own thoughts. Thus hindering the scientific process and contradicting the entire point of scientific journals.

I thought Pinquin's post was good. I don't think your objections are justified in the majority of cases.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by JanusRook

I just don't agree. No matter how much inertia the scientific establishment has, when an idea is really good, and it can be proven, no scientist can stopped it. It does not matter if they can publish of not in the best magazines. Any really brilliant conception shine by itself.

I do believe most of current theories are quite mediocre so far.

The only problem is that really good theories take a time to appear. But they'll do.

Pinguin

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:43

I just don't agree. No matter how much inertia the scientific establishment has, when an idea is really good, and it can be proven, no scientist can stopped it. It does not matter if they can publish of not in the best magazines. Any really brilliant conception shine by itself.

I agree but when you are dealing with theories that are essentially "unprovable" except in mathematical equations. Such as the creation of the universe, scientists can debate  it till the end of time and right now the big bang scientists can always just say, well ours is proven because we say so...and you can't tell me many scientists don't treat the Big Bang like fact.

I think that really good theories take so much time to appear because they can't get their message out so that they can be revised, researched and taught by other scientists. A good theory doesn't mean squat if it doesn't have a prestigious name behind it, such as what Einstein went through when he first published his theories of relativity.

glce (and I guess Pinguin as well) I too thought pinguin's post was good, I just don't fully agree with it, again I wasn't attacking pinguin or anything like that.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 17:01
I agree with you.

At least I don't believe much in the wormholes theories, parallel universes,  or in the Sagan's concept that the universe is full of life. The problem is how to prove it right or wrong? So far there are not theoretical or practicals ways to force a proof (if anyone in here invents one way, the Nobel is waiting for you). So those things are just part of speculative science, nothing else. Scientists use them to call our attention or look for financial aid. The true is they don't have a clue, so far.

The public, in general, tends to believe the truth is what a famous scientist speaks. No, that's not the truth. The only approximation to the reality we have are models that have been proven against evidence.

We know that Special Relativity works, and that times goes slower when a vehicule move fast, because it has been measured by athomic clocks on airplanes. We know General relativity works because curved light rays have been photographed during solar eclipses.

Nobody has ever seen a wormhole, gone to a parallel dimension, or meet an E.T. that looks like a frog LOL. Outside the TV set, of course.

Pinguin

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:17
If the Universe is one big sack of cold stuff, I am guessing we are living in one giant Igloo.
 Post Reply Post Reply