Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how do other races get dark?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do other races get dark?
    Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 01:35
I was wondering is the reason why some races who started off with really light skin able to get their skinned darkend, is it because they have some black african in their genes?

People like Puerto ricans, and all hispanics, Cambodians, Filipinos, some middle east people...Are all able to get their skin to be dark is it because they have black African blood?

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 03:26
No it's because geneticly they're quite darker than lets say european people but if theu live in the west like the east coast of the US or europe they don't get as much sun so they get paler but if they go to sunny areas or tan. They get dark realy quickly because there skinn can get darker a couple of shades unlikely to some people of West-european descent who clearly push it and get orange(thats realy funny if you have ever seen one LOL.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 06:58
Excellent answer. I am pretty sure that you are correct.Clap

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 06:59

Getting sunburn is nearly impossible if you have black skin.

Join us.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 07:07
Europeans can't tan their skin darker? Depends on what you mean by "dark" of course, but I live in Scandinavia and there are many here with skin tanned to the extent that it looks brown (I've only seen one or two people with the orange effect xi tujue mentions), either through artificial tanning or simply being outdoors, and yet I doubt we have many africans in our genes.

The only ones who can't get their skin dark seems to be the redheads. Apart from them, everyone can tan.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 07:11
Yes, almost everyone can tan. I am merely pointing out that Africans and other people living in similar condition became black because of their adaptation to the vast of sunlight. Asians are brownish because we have a moderate climate. Europe, suffice to say, do not get a lot of sunlight but some Europeans are not completely white, especailly for folks in Med. sea.

Join us.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 08:52
It's probably not that they have African blood (well except in the sense that everyone does ;) ) but their skin is dark for the same *reason* as africans-- living in a tropical area for thousands of years. 

Or the opposite you could say "What makes some people have light skin?" -- Moving out of a tropical area and living with weak northern sun for a few millenia ;)
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 09:31
Originally posted by Reginmund

Europeans can't tan their skin darker? Depends on what you mean by "dark" of course, 

Yes your right but im talking about dark as shades of like caramel, brown, dark brown, and even black...Sorry i should have stated that earlier...
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 09:33
THANX EVERYONE FOR ANSWERING! YOU ALL ARE GREAT!Big%20smile
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 12:01
I'm not a redhead, but my dad is, and I don't tan well at all. I just get red for a few hours and then go back to my normal, 'white', color. Wink
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 12:05
Originally posted by Adalwolf

I'm not a redhead, but my dad is, and I don't tan well at all. I just get red for a few hours and then go back to my normal, 'white', color. Wink

Your dad can't get a tan he only gets frekles. am I right?

whats the deal with asian people. For instance japanese women are verry light skinned but alot of men are quite darker. and those farmers in all of asia are quite dark
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 12:22
Originally posted by xi_tujue

[QUOTE=Adalwolf]I'm not a redhead, but my dad is, and I don't tan well at all. I just get red for a few hours and then go back to my normal, 'white', color. Wink

Your dad can't get a tan he only gets frekles. am I right?

Well, my dad has frekles, but I don't know if he gets them from going out in the the sun. He just gets red, like I do, after spending time in the sun.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 12:43
Well there is only one skin colour in humans. The darkness/fairness of the skin depends on the amount of melanin pigment. The more melanin you have the darker your skin will be. For example, in leopards, you may know of the 'Black Leopards' or 'Panthers' - they are simply normal leopards with larger amounts of melanin. Melanin acts as a sunscreen in a way - Giraffe's tongues are purple (lots of melanin) and therefore act as a 'sunscreen' for the giraffe tongue which is poking out (for feeding) for a lot of the day. An adverse effect can occur too, where lack of melanin pigmentation production causes fairness. If you want more detailed/scientific information let me know - that's just a basic overview.

- Knights -
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 12:45

whats the deal with asian people. For instance japanese women are verry light skinned but alot of men are quite darker. and those farmers in all of asia are quite dark

Exactly! How are they able to get dark like that? Because i know some asians that cant.....

Edited by AfrikaJamaika - 26-Jan-2007 at 12:46
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 13:05
Originally posted by AfrikaJamaika

Exactly! How are they able to get dark like that? Because i know some asians that cant.....

I realy don't know (I would give you the awnser if I knew)
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 15:03

I realy don't know (I would give you the awnser if I knew)

The light skin of some of these asian women has to do with fashion. In many Asian countries it is a beauty ideal to have light skin, so the women will stay out of the sun and use creams and potions to stay light, whereas the men dont care as much and go out in the sun. Farmers I think are darker skinned all over the world because they are out in the open air so much more than others.

I am very fair and I tan badly, but if I stay out in the open in summer long enough, even one as light as me will eventually become tanned (I just never bother about it as it takes too much time and is bad for your skin anyway.) But my father and brother, who are blond as well, will tan in just a few days without trouble...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by Adalwolf

I'm not a redhead, but my dad is, and I don't tan well at all.

I am in a similar situation. My grandmother was a redhead, and she could not go out in the sun very often, because she would freckle. However, I think because I am half-Italian (from the Southern boot of Italy), even though I am paler than anyone in my family, the body hair protects the skin a little bit. Anyways, I would agree with the thesis that the sun has made the peoples of Africa darker. This has always been my theory.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 21:11
Getting sunburn is nearly impossible if you have black skin.

Popular misconception. The worst case of sunburn i've ever seen was on a black American who went skying in Austria in a t-shirt with no sunblock.
Incidently, in some countries, people with darker skin have a lower chance of surviving skin cancer, because they assume 'only white people can get it', when they notice the early symptoms, dismiss it untill its too late.

Everyone burns, just some quicker than others, and the same inevitably applies to skin cancer.
Arrrgh!!"
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 22:23

Well, many Asian women were to stay at home doing housework while men went outside to farm, work, fight and so on. For instance, women with small feet were very popular in China because with small feet, women can't walk for a long time...hence making easier for men to restrict women's role in society. Men's dominance over women, whether it was justified or not, was quite common in Far East and... well, practically almost everywhere in the world...Ouch

Join us.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 14:01

Well this is obvious; the amount of sunlight they're exposed to. That being said, I can't say Japanese men are any darker than the women, at least not that I have noticed among the Japanese I've met. As a curious side-note I could mention that one of the palest boys I've ever met was a an Asian (not sure from where) I played Magic: The Gathering with, his skin was pure porcelain.

Personally I must confess to some vanity when it comes to tanning. I really don't like being pale, and I think most people look healthier with some colour.

Edited by Reginmund - 27-Jan-2007 at 14:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>