Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XIV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XIV
    Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:16

The scores are up - well done everyone and congrats to Decebal.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:18
Nice final sprint from rider.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:21
Guys we are not accually done yet  round two should have question#17 in it. it is possible for either knights or rider still to win. 
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:28
Bonus points for question authorship has been assigned as follows:

Decebal: .88 bonus (16/18)
Timotheus: .55 bonus (10/18)
Ulrich: .33

This quiz is still not done because question 17 is unanswered, which means that it advances into round two. A correct answer to question 17 is worth two points. Round two will be ready in about half an hour.

(I think in the future it might be helpful to announce which participants have sent int questions so that bonus points do not come unexpected. However, Decebal has had his questions in the quiz for many times now, so I hope people have been used to that.)

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 27-Jan-2007 at 14:15
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:36
well done DecebalClap again you are the only one to have a higher score then the Knights-Praetor team at the end of the first round, but hopefully this time not at the end of the bonus round.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:39
I think if you do list who has questions in it really defeats the purpose of not naning the autors to begin with.  In reality I personnally guessed that 18 was decebals and also guessed that none where riders many -probably 11,12,13 are poirots and you wrote the lower ones. If I had a list i may have matched them exact.   now my guesses may be way off but it all doesn't make alot of differance.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:49
That's interesting that you thought question 18 was Decebal's. The no author name certainly adds a new twist to the TQ in a way. One of the reasons we limited the number of guest questions to 1 this time was to minimize the situation in which the numbers before the bonus points could "fool" you but of course the scores are usually pretty close that less than 1 point will make difference.  So in the future, the possibility that bonus points may unexpectedly turn a game should probably be emphasized, even if no other detail is given.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 27-Jan-2007 at 13:49
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by gcle2003

Nice final sprint from rider.

Indeed - a good sportsman Clap - and not to forget the young Aussie-team Clap 
(great minds think alike) LOL

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:53
Answers to round one question have been posted in the front topic of this thread! Wink Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about the questions or the scoring.

So did you guess the authors correctly!? Tongue

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 27-Jan-2007 at 13:54
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 13:59
boy I hate it when i dance around the correct answers but can't seem to put it all together.

So did you guess the authors correctly!? Tongue
pretty close
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 14:08
Round Two is up.

Round two will last exactly 24 hours from the time of this post.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 14:23
Ironic that question 12 should have been Dostoievski, since I'd been led astray by thinking about him for question 16. Only through reading Crime and Punishment do I know the hero's name was Raskolnikov and the Raskolniki (the 'Old Believers') were a group of Russian orthodox heretics[1] in the 17th century, whose leader, my candidate Archpriest Avvakum Petrov, was first exiled by the Tsar Alexis, his one-time friend and patron, before being executed, and whose followers dispersed to small communities in various places, notably in Canada where I think they still exist.

It's difficult to think of anyone fitting the question better.

But not in a million years am I going to get the Asian questions.

[1] Not of course from their point of view
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 14:38
The Asian questions were kind of cool.... atleast it was fun to search the map... although I fogrot my Times Atlas and therefore had to search a capital near a large lake... although it showed like four lakes... lol..

And I must congratulate the mastermind that created Question 5. It is such a stupid question, damned, I misread it totally for the first times... and therefore thought of places like Athens and such.

And Questions from 10 onwards made me always think of Poland for some reason... don't know why... perhaps because most of the factors could fit in on a Polish answer???

Now, I am however disappointed that my question wasn't in (although I understand why it wasn't) and I am sure that none of you had guessed it...

Doesn't round 2 give you two points? That should make you, Dawn, possible for victory too, doesn't it?
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 14:38
Yeah some of the questions are pretty difficult.

For question 19, the best approach was probably to look at empire trends and work backward from there. I was thinking that most people would think of instable regions such as Central Asia given that the question reflects empires rising and falling. Apparently, the Seljuks don't' come to the minds of many when associated with "large empire."

I guess Decebal can tell us how the got number 20. Wink

The apparent difficulty of number 5 was not expected (as you can tell we placed at only number 5, which should be easy). I guess not a lot of FC Barcelona (aka. "Bara" ) fans here.

The Chaplin/Hitler question was the most amusing to me. Kudos to Poirot for coming up with such as creative question. Same with number 5.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 27-Jan-2007 at 14:41
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 14:45
About the 5th, I originally understood that the city we were looking for was founded by the clan and that it was the ancient maritime power. I know that this is the last thing one can expect, but wording is quite important....

The Chaplin question was most definetly made by Poirot, I knew when the answer was right. But again, in the beginning, English mislead me in a totally wrong way.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 15:07
Originally posted by rider

The Asian questions were kind of cool.... atleast it was fun to search the map... although I fogrot my Times Atlas and therefore had to search a capital near a large lake... although it showed like four lakes... lol..

I got focussed on Cuzco and Lake Titicaca, as a result of which I know more about Incas than I ever did before. That's the payoff, I guess. Also I now know the Phrygian capital was by a lake and burnt down by the Cimmerians, which is not something I expect to get much use out of.
(PS no-one I could find as a result even remotely fit the question.)

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 15:52
#5 was a total head-smacker, as well as #6...but the rest I don't think I could have gotten. Congratulations to Decebal, Knights, and Praetor for catching Bohuslav of Svamberk. Next time, before I throw in a bit of obscure Hussite trivia, I'll remember to update my paper to include that information first. (note to self to send said paper to rider.)

I've reached a dead end on question 17. Figured out the approximate time and place, but that's all. I didn't quite reach my goal of 12 points, but it was a great time anyway.

Let me know how many of you are smacking your heads over Lady Hamilton.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 16:23
Great job everyone!  Hope you have enjoyed the Total Quiz.
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 16:30
Very good quiz. I actually was really close on question 19, at least in the general area. I was looking more at the Gok-Turk though. I think they key for narrowing it down was the fact that the formation of the new empire (with followers which travelled long distances - nomads), destabilized another empire. Very representaitve of steppe empires.

Anyway, question 20 - The key hint was that the empire had lost half of its area but still survived for a lifetime plus a few decades, and the upstart empire. This narrowed it down to Rome (Western Empire and the Huns), Byzantium in the 12th century (a few decades before 1204) and China (during the Song and Jin eras). A closer examination showed that only Jin China was a perfect match, and then it was a matter of finding out who was influential in the government and was related to the commanders of the Jin army for the battle of Fei River (which was also in the hint)...

Congratulations to all and let's see what happens in round 2.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 17:06
That's interesting how you thought of the Song-Jin Era, because the Jin Dynasty in question 20 is not the Jin Dynasty of the Song-Jin Era, but an earlier Jin Dynasty (the "Eastern Jin").
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>