Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are people of Taiwan Chinese?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are people of Taiwan Chinese?
    Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 14:26
I know some people of Taiwan would be upset to hear this... but are not people of Taiwan really Chinese, technically speaking? They are, after all, originally from China. The only thing that separates them is political ideaologies... right?

Join us.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 20:33
Well Taiwan's official name is "The Republic of China", so yes, they're chinese.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 03:26
I heard that they were chinese but not han-chineseConfused
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 03:46

Maybe the Chinese are Taiwanese.....

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 17:26
Taiwanese are Chinese ,yes.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 21:33
the aboriginal tribes are not Chinese, but they make up a very small percentage of the population.

The rest are Han chinese with most of them Min (hokkian?)speakers, like what is spoken in south Fujian across the tawain straights and the rest are  mandarin speakers that fled the mainland after losing the civil war with the communists. Not to forget the hakka which also live there in significant numbers.

Edited by Leonidas - 25-Jan-2007 at 21:36
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 22:54
True that. Thanks for info.

Join us.
Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 18:10

What about the Japanese are the chineses to?

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 19:05

Could be. The first known civilization in Far East were Chinese. It's possible that Chinese migrated to Korea and Japan... but I am not sure.

Join us.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 10:07
From what I understand, the Japanese are descended from the Koreans, who migrated to the Japanese Islands. Japanese and Korean are in a different language family than Chinese, so if they're related, it's from long ago. I do know that the Japanese alphabet is taken from chinese.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 07:35
no man.You are all wrong.They are all Turkic Big%20smile
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
 Post Reply Post Reply