Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Astronomy - get started!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astronomy - get started!
    Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 14:04
I have had an interest for astronomy for many years and used various computer programs to support this interest.

One of the best programs out there, if not THE best, "Stellarium" is a virtual real time observatory which can satisfy and impress everyone - from the nosy beginner to the enthusiast and professional.
You can chose to watch as you would see it with the naked eye, a binicular or a telescope.
You can observe in present real time, move forward or back in time - try to see if you can find the Bethlehem star.  

I wont go into more details, its very comprehensive but very easy to use.
Here is a few (downsized) screenshots - and if you like what you see, it can be downloaded here for FREE.

Towards the horizon with a view to the Milkyway:

Orion in all his splendor (constellation lines ON):

Watch Saturn and its moons slide gently across the nightsky:

Or make a travel to the Andromeda galaxy - 2,2 million lightyears out:

~ Northman

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 14:14
Thank you Northman. I'm downloading it right now. I have actually been looking for a good (free)  program like this...Big%20smile
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 14:27
Originally posted by Goban

Thank you Northman. I'm downloading it right now. I have actually been looking for a good (free)  program like this...Big%20smile

Great - let us hear what you think when you've had a chance.

To begin with, you only need to use the mouse, arrow keys and Page Up/Page Down (zoom keys).

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 16:51
It works great, thank you. I have been farting around on it since I downloaded it.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 17:56
I'll take a look at this when I get home. But on the topic of Astronomy, can you see the comet in the Northern Hemisphere? Probably not I assume, we have been able to see it the last few nights here just after sunset, it's very specky, and won't come back for 3.1 million years.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 18:45
Damn, I missed it. Oh well, I'm a patient man.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 18:52
Originally posted by Reginmund

Damn, I missed it. Oh well, I'm a patient man.

What did you miss? - its a quick download Smile

Omar - no we cant see the comet up here.

Edited by Northman - 21-Jan-2007 at 18:53
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 08:11
Originally posted by Northman

"Stellarium" is a virtual real time observatory

Well, i have "Stellarium" from long time ago, but with no idea that it is a real time observatory. I just missed that.

Edited by The Chargemaster - 22-Jan-2007 at 08:16
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

"Stellarium" is a virtual real time observatory

Well, i have "Stellarium" from long time ago, but with no idea that it is a real time observatory. I just missed that.

Oh yes it is - also the older versions.
That is one of the reasons why its a great educational tool.
If you spot something on the nightsky, wondering what it is, you can start the program and get the exact same view of the nightsky on your computerscreen that you had outside a minute before.

The other way around - look up an object on the screen you fins interesting. Go outside to spot it on the sky, using known objects you saw as guides for finding it.

Did you know you can chose to stand on the moon (or any planet) and watch the sky from there?

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 15:29
Northman, how do you change the planet perspective? I've searched through the options and can't find it.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 15:59
Originally posted by Goban

Northman, how do you change the planet perspective? I've searched through the options and can't find it.

Press the "M" key

- then you have 8 basic settings you can change using the arrow keys.
UP/DOWN = browse 1-8 plus undergroups (like moons of planets)
LEFT/RIGHT = chose/unchose option

To select location, go to option 1.4 and browse objects. 

ENTER = chose what you have selected.

Press M to remove the menu again.

Enjoy!

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 01:24
Thank you Nortman, it's a great program!

try to see if you can find the Bethlehem star

Is there a way that you can go back on time fast?

Did you know you can chose to stand on the moon (or any planet) and watch the sky from there?
How can I do this?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 04:46
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Is there a way that you can go back on time fast?

Use the arrow-buttons in the right bottom corner - click repeatedly to increase speed (back or forward in time)

How can I do this? (change location to another place in the solar system)

Read my answer to Goban (the M key)

Edited by Northman - 23-Jan-2007 at 04:49
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 04:59
Well, Northman, you really challenge my curiousity, and i installed Stellarium again.

If you spot something on the nightsky, wondering what it is, you can start the program and get the exact same view of the nightsky on your computerscreen that you had outside a minute before.

Oh, it`s just delightful!
I am living in Rousse and in Stellarium(by using the Options window) there is not observatory for Rousse.
And because of that firstly i used the observatory in Bucharest(the capital of Romania) - which is only at 60-70 kilommeters northern from Rousse.
Then i tried the "M" button, but i didn`t know what are the exact latitude & longitude for Rousse. So i used Google Earth to see them.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 05:21
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

How can I do this?(to stand on the moon and watch the sky from there)

Well, when you start Stellarium for first time, or if you still did`nt changed anything with the options of the "M" button`s menu:

1. Start Stellarium
2. Press "M" button to open the menu;
3. Press Right Arrow (once);
4. Press Down Arrow three times; (you will see "Solar System Body: Earth" now)
5. Press Right Arrow again;
6. Press Down Arrow again; (now you will see "Solar System Body: Earth: Moon")
7. Press Enter to apply your choice;
8. Press "M" button to close the menu.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 05:46
By the way does anybody here know about some other astronomy-programs?
I can add another intersting program: Celestia
Celestia is real-time 3D space simulation which lets you travel through our solar system and to over 100000 stars in our neighborhood, nearly a hundred solar system, objects, and a complete catalog of...

The homepage of Celestia is http://www.shatters.net/celestia/.
It`s freeware.
And here are some addons for Celestia: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Also, for more software of that sort you can check here: http://www.softpedia.org/progSearch
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 06:10
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

By the way does anybody here know about some other astronomy-programs?
I can add another intersting program: Celestia
Celestia is real-time 3D space simulation which lets you travel through our solar system and to over 100000 stars in our neighborhood, nearly a hundred solar system, objects, and a complete catalog of...

The homepage of Celestia is http://www.shatters.net/celestia/.
It`s freeware.
And here are some addons for Celestia: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Also, for more software of that sort you can check here: http://www.softpedia.org/progSearch

Yes - I have that program as well and its very impressive - but dont get lost - once you're outside the solar system, you will really find out that most of the universe is empty - space.

I use it mostly for imaging, taking screenshots etc.  

Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 09:37
once you're outside the solar system, you will really find out that most of the universe is empty - space.

That`s right, yes.
I think - the reason is that the knowledge of the humanity about the space is still too limited.
The scientists know only(or mainly) about the visible things - the visible stars, some commets, and too small number other "things". So, thank you "Hubble".

Edited by The Chargemaster - 23-Jan-2007 at 09:38
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 20:24
Thanks Notrh and Charge.
I just found a new interest - astronomy! (actually I always found it interesting, but I didn't know that such programs exist for free)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 20:51
RULES! North. Thanks. AMAZZING!!

This is just great.

EDIT: I'd give you a cookie if I had one.- LOL

Edited by rider - 15-Feb-2008 at 20:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>