Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ROMANTIC MOVEMENT is good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is the ROMANTIC MOVEMENT good or bad?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [33.33%]
10 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROMANTIC MOVEMENT is good or bad?
    Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 03:44

ROMANTIC MOVEMENT

Changes in society, beginning in the 18th century and continuing into our own time, underlie the romantic movement. It starts as a reaction against the intellectualism of the Enlightenment, against the rigidity of social structures protecting privilege, and against the materialism of an age which, in the first stirring of the Industrial Revolution, already shows signs of making workers the slaves of machinery and of creating squalid urban environments.

Unlike classicism or the baroque, romanticism has no definable standards. Indeed rejection of rules is almost a touchstone of the romantic temperament.
As a result a mood which pervades much of western life during the past two centuries is hard to define except in terms of opposites. The romantic temperament responds to emotion rather than reason, is excited by mystery rather than persuaded by clarity, listens more intently to the individual conscience than to the demands of society, and prefers rebellion to acceptance.

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 04:12
Eeehm. I'm a bit confused. How can a cultural movement be good or bad? It just is. You can like it or not, but it has no moral value in itself...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 07:57
Hmm during this periode West europe gave birth to some of its best poets ever.Thumbs%20Up

But on the down side opium HousesThumbs%20Down

A romantic is someone who isn't happy about here and now.(there nothing more than a bunch of dreamers) who prefere to run from there problems instead of solving it.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 04:47
Not necessarily. A romantic can also be someone who cares about beauty both in nature and mankind, a person who can enjoy the moment for itself.

The Romantic movement in the nineteent century caused an increase in historical interest, especially the Middle ages, which is good imo. But the renewed interest in history caused a surge of Nationalism that led to a lot of wars, which is bad imo...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 12:09
I thought the wars started during the realism periode who was reaction to romantism
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 16:59
Romantisicm was a great movement.I like dreamers!Wink
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 04:33
Dream on then...LOL

What I meant was that the romantic movement was in many ways one of the main factors in the emergence of Nationalism throughout the European nations. And although this Nationalism had several good effects, it also had the nasty effect of making WWI and especially WWII more than wars over economics or land, but wars over Nationality and 'pure' blood...

Take this strange 'Germanic' feeling Hitler used: People would replay 'Germanic rituals' to return to their roots...
Like this:

Really strange...Confused 

Edited by Aelfgifu - 24-Jan-2007 at 04:50

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 21:11
Depends. Too much would just make people look like they are on drugs, but some of the romantism is necessary otherwise they would just commit sucide...

Join us.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 14:22
A good balance of both reason and feeling create a well-balanced person. Afterall, no one should be a strictly logical 'robot,' but no one should be a strictly emotional lunatic either.

I can see why a new Romantic 'movement' could start today. I myself get very frustrated with the materialistic nihilism of our age. Afterall, there's more to life than bank statements and flashy commodity goods.

The Romantics (such as William Blake, William Wordsworth, John Keats, Lord Byron, Sam Coleridge, Percy Shelley, etc) rejected the materialistic culture and industrial revolution of the late 18th/early 19th centuries because it constricted the emotional, 'classical' side of man's nature, they believed. Humans have feelings, and they weren't afraid to acknowledge it. Their poetry tended to focus on the self, the natural world, and ideals like love (where do you think we get our word 'romance' from? when not in terms of romance languages, of course, like french, italian, etc). The world we live in today isn't much different, and the post-modernists have us all convinced that we ought to put our faith in society, progress and technology... but, again, humans have feelings as well as credit cards, and the forner need serious exercise. I'd like to see another movement, personally.
Did I mention I'm an English major? Cool

Edited by Brian J Checco - 29-Mar-2007 at 16:58
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by pekau

Depends. Too much would just make people look like they are on drugs, but some of the romantism is necessary otherwise they would just commit sucide...

A true romantic wouldn't have the slightest concern about what he/she looks like to others.  That's pretty much the gist of romanticism--getting what you want out of life without being held back by how others are thinking of you, or conforming to someone else's ideals.Star
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 09:33
bah just stopped a course on this subject because of extreme boredom! hehe not my thing but love some of the poetry.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 20:18
I see it as a positive ideology or movement, romanticism brought back humanity into the intellectual world, where rigid and statistical reason with lack of emotion dominated, the romantics did not necessarily discredit reason, but saw potential in humanity's pure emotion, emotion and passion became the sources of art and literature.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 19:33
I think this is a cool topic - and art from the Romantic period can be posted here.
I'll start with Eugene Delacroix /1798-1863/:
"Orphan at the Cemetery"

"Greece on the Ruins of Missolongi" /it's a allegory of the defeat on Greece by Turkey in 1826/.

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2012 at 22:50
More Delacroix:
"Liberty Leading the People"
http://emptyeasel.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/libertyleadingthepeoplebyeugenedelacroix.jpg

"Combat of Giaour and Hassan"
http://www.uh.edu/engines/romanticism/giaour-hassan.jpg

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 22:07
Derlacroix:
"The Death of Sardanapal" 1827
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/sardanapal.jpg

"The Massacre at Chios" 1824
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/delacroix/chios.jpg

"The Bark of Dante" 1822.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 23:23
Delacroix:
"Medea"
http://www.chinaoilpaintinggallery.com/oilpainting/Eugene-Delacroix/Medea.jpg

"Trajan's Justice"
http://www.canvasreplicas.com/images/Justice%20of%20Trajan%20Eugene%20Delacroix.jpg

"Cleopatra and the Peasant"
http://www.unc.edu/courses/2005spring/engl/012/051/gtimmons/Images/delacroix-lg.jpg

Edited by Don Quixote - 04-Apr-2012 at 23:26
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2012 at 01:44
Delacroix:
"Odalisque Reclining on a Divan" 1827-28
http://www.friendsofart.net/static/images/art2/eugene-delacroix-odalisque-reclining-on-a-divan-1.jpg

"Ophelia"
http://whatafy.com/storage//2011/12/10/the-painter-eugene-delacroix/Delacroix-Ophelia.jpg

"Women of Algiers"
http://www.shafe.co.uk/crystal/images/lshafe/Delacroix_Women_of_Algiers.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply