Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A shameful day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A shameful day
    Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 10:19
A horrible incident has just occurred in Istanbul. Hrant Dink, Turkey's most prominent Armenian journalist and a bridge between the two sides, has been assassinated in Istanbul. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

I hope the perpetrators will be brought to justice, and tried most severely. This was a shameful act, and the entire Turkish nation is responsible for its occurance. The rhetoric by some hate groups such as the grey wolves was completely out of control, and they should have been reined in before such incidents occurred. I am so totally ashamed for this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6279241.stm

Edited by bg_turk - 19-Jan-2007 at 10:21
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 11:20
DeadAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryOuchCry

I'm very very very angry, sad and disappointed but we will not leave this country to those f**kin fascists!!!!!!AngryAngryAngryAngry 
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 11:44

I hate fascists, other extremists and blind haters.

Let's hope that his murderers face justice.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 12:00
The shots fired at this man were shots fired at the honor and dignity of the Turkish nation, and ironically those shots were most likely fired by those who earlier accused him of insulting "Turkishness".

It appears that the shooter was a teenager (very similar to the incident with the priest in Trabzon).

From behind the scenes there are others who pull the strings particularly high ranking members of the gray wolves. There are very powerful conspirators within the military as well who are doing everything to halt Turkish progress towards EU membership.

The teenager who physically committed the murder will face justice, but I fear it will be merely a show trial, and the real conspirators will remain untouched, with their objectives reached. The damage on Turkey's reputation this murder has caused is irreparable.

Hrant Dink will now be remembered as a man who died for his ideas in the face of denial by the Turkish state.

Edited by bg_turk - 19-Jan-2007 at 12:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 12:04
It can only damage the causes of those who assassinated him. Or perhaps more correctly, it can only damage the cause of the poor sap they recruited.

Edited by Zaitsev - 19-Jan-2007 at 12:04
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 12:54
Sad news.

Turkish state is partly responsible.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 13:01
Originally posted by bg_turk

The shots fired at this man were shots fired at the honor and dignity of the Turkish nation, and ironically those shots were most likely fired by those who earlier accused him of insulting "Turkishness".

It appears that the shooter was a teenager (very similar to the incident with the priest in Trabzon).

From behind the scenes there are others who pull the strings particularly high ranking members of the gray wolves. There are very powerful conspirators within the military as well who are doing everything to halt Turkish progress towards EU membership.

The teenager who physically committed the murder will face justice, but I fear it will be merely a show trial, and the real conspirators will remain untouched, with their objectives reached. The damage on Turkey's reputation this murder has caused is irreparable.

Hrant Dink will now be remembered as a man who died for his ideas in the face of denial by the Turkish state.

The murder of Hrant Dink pisses me off to no end. A chance to challenge the status quo and move forward is now another step back.

Teenagers and children are regularly used by the mob to do the dirty deeds in numerous crimes around the country. And the police sit there with their hands in their pockets counting the change. Corruption and crime is an issue that only a strong willed government can take a hard look at.

Edited by Seko - 19-Jan-2007 at 13:02
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 13:10
Good that our friends from Turkey are pissed-off about this assassination. Don't let your anger die out, but instead use it to make a change of heart in the whole society.

Let this man's death not be forgotten in a few days, instead let this be an opportunity for change and improvement.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 13:37
A leftist group publicly protested the assassination. We won't forget this incident.
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 14:00
Originally posted by bg_turk

I knew nothing of these events until now.
I`ve found this page with info about the event in Trabzon:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,411043,00.html
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 14:48
 A sad news. Lets see who did this. Than attack them.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 16:10

It's a proffessional execution, it was planned and carried out by certain agencies and could have been done for a number of reasons. These buttons are pressed by hidden face's, Dink and the kid that did this are expendible for these people. He wasn't liked by Armenian groups either and this will probobly put another bolt in the EU process maybe it will end it.

p.s Bg_Turk, this has nothing to do with "Grey Wolves" or any Ulkucu group, they've been sucessfull at turning away from violence, resisting provocations and not responding to the recent surge in Terrorist attacks this has been a great move and they should be commended for it.

Edited by Bulldog - 19-Jan-2007 at 16:26
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 17:10
This is a shameful day for my country.I am so sorry.

He was a brave man who describes himself a "Turkish citizen" first, both fighting against our laws and the diaspora.

I think this is not an amateur-nationalist attack.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by bulldog

He wasn't liked by Armenian groups either

What the hell? What is this bs? do you have anything to support your claims? stop shooting out of your a**

Once again you have proven yourself to be one of those idiots who tries justify horrible things done in their country...even when no one is blaming the country and those residing in it.

Edited by mamikon - 19-Jan-2007 at 19:01
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 18:59

Its not bs, its a reality.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 19:00
I am glad to see that the turks have identified with him as a fellow national rather than see him as an ethnic Armenian. It is sad ofcourse, but worse might now be used for politics, and that is not fair on the Turkish nation. These kind of things can not be prevented though.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 19:21
Hrant Dink whas a good and brave man, may he rest in Peace.

however i think there are some big boys behind this incident.

And lastly, no one can blame Turkish people or Turks for this horrible incident!

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 19:54
my guess its the extreme parts of the so called 'deep state', but we can all just guess.

My hope is boosted by the reports of these protests conducted by the good citizens of turkey who understand this was an attack on them, being silent is the worse thing to do right now.

BBC

Fury in Turkey at editor's murder
Crowds%20gather%20in%20Istanbul%20to%20protest%20at%20Hrant%20Dinks%20murder
Dink's murder has provoked widespread shock in Turkey
Thousands of people have rallied in Istanbul to protest at the murder of a prominent Turkish-Armenian journalist, Hrant Dink, outside his office.

"We are all Armenians, we are all Hrant Dink," the crowd chanted.

Dink frequently wrote about one of the most sensitive issues in Turkey - the mass killing of Armenians during the final days of the Ottoman empire.

His views, seen as treachery by some nationalists, led to a conviction in 2005 for insulting Turkish identity.

"A bullet has been fired at democracy and freedom of expression," Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told a hastily convened news conference as news of Dink's murder spread.

The attack on Dink was an attack on Turkey and on Turkish unity and stability, Mr Erdogan said, adding that the "dark hands" behind the killing would be brought to justice.

The murder is likely to increase political tensions in Turkey, where politicians have been courting the nationalist vote ahead of presidential and parliamentary elections later this year, correspondents say.

Police said Dink, 53, was shot at least twice. Turkey's NTV television showed pictures of a white sheet covering the journalist's body in front of the newspaper building's entrance.

Late on Friday, Turkish media quoted Istanbul's governor as saying three people were in custody in connection with the killing.

Prominent voice

Journalists and politicians in Turkey expressed outrage at the killing, which many described as a political assassination, while the US, EU, Armenia, and several human rights groups also voiced shock and condemnation.

A crowd of several thousand people marched towards the office of Agos, the bilingual Turkish and Armenian weekly newspaper Dink edited, on Friday night.

Many carried red carnations and photographs of Dink with the inscription "My dear brother" in Turkish, Armenian and English.

The mood was not sombre but angry, the BBC's Sarah Rainsford reports from Istanbul, with many demanding justice. There was also a protest by several hundred people in Ankara.

Dink was one of Turkey's most prominent Armenian voices and despite threats on his life, he refused to stay silent.

"I will not leave this country. If I go I would feel I was leaving alone the people struggling for democracy...It would be a betrayal of them," he told Reuters news agency last July.

Edited by Leonidas - 19-Jan-2007 at 20:00
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 23:42
Originally posted by Leonidas

"I will not leave this country. If I go I would feel I was leaving alone the people struggling for democracy...It would be a betrayal of them," he told Reuters news agency last July.

http://videogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/Video.aspx?s=5&vid=472
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 00:12
Several thousand of people gathered to protest the assassination:

Edited by bg_turk - 20-Jan-2007 at 00:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>