Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The German army hairstyle in WW2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest View Drop Down
  Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The German army hairstyle in WW2
    Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 07:27
Is it true that the german soldiers were not allowed to have a crewcut(very short hair) in World War 2? If so, why?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 09:49
I think most of them had a very short hair, no?
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 03:39
I've heard the fashion was to leave the hair a bit longer at the front and brush it backwards from the forehead, and have it shorn up high in the neck, but I have no idea if there were specific rules about hair.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 04:10
They all had comb overs.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 15:11
All the hair I've seen in pictures is long, shaved on the back and sides. I don't think the Wehrmacht had strict haircut regulations. I photos from russia, the germans' hair looks dirty, greasy and unkept
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 02:18
If you are fighting in the front, the last thing your commander is going to check is the length of your hair and your personal hygiene, especially in an environment of harsh winter and lack of water.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 05:27
I think German hairstyle and army uniforms must have been  so cool that wherever they invaded, they did not find difficulties of finding girlfriends in the invaded countries easily...Many women in the invaded countries had a crush on them.(especially French and Ukrainians)LOL
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 06:09
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I've heard the fashion was to leave the hair a bit longer at the frontand brush it backwards from the forehead, and have it shorn up high in the neck, but I have no ideaif there were specific rules about hair.
I think you got that right, i had seen a German propaganda pic of an U2 boat with a German commander, he had the exact hairstyle you did described.

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

I think German hairstyle and army uniforms must have been  so cool that wherever they invaded, they did not find difficulties of finding girlfriends in the invaded countries easily...Many women in the invaded countries had a crush on them.(especially French and Ukrainians)LOL

Tall, blond, blue-eyed, young, in immaculate uniforms, and with the air and the confidence of an unbeatable juggernaut. sh*t, I don't know if i would've been able to resist them myselfShockedEmbarrassed

Edited by konstantinius - 17-Jan-2007 at 19:08
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 04:05
Sorry to bust your bubble, but not every German is tall, blond and blue eyed, has mister H himself aptly shows. In fact when I stayed in Berlin I noticed how much shorter and darkerhaired the people there are than over here... 

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 09:01
Aelfgifu, you are Dutch, aren't you?Wink

Anyway, one interesting thing I heard from the grandfather of a friend of mine (he was in the Bulgarian army) about German soldiers in WWII was even in the extreme cold days they went out with their underwear and washed their faces with cold water. Maybe it was a show on "how strong a German soldier was" 
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 09:39
Perhaps it had to do with the hitlerjugend indoctrination these boys received before joining the army. Washing with icewater in the snow would fit their ideas quite nicely, I imagine...

Yes I'm Dutch, so yes, I would find people rather short and darkhaired anywhere but here...if that is what your point was... We Dutch girls dream of Norwegians and Swedes...Wink

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 13:03
Oh my.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 13:05
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

We Dutch girls dream of Norwegians and Swedes...Wink

I thought it was on the other way. Like northern girls dream of southern men, like Spanish or Italian. I am almost sure that Latvian girls prefer hot blooded southerners instead of cold northerners.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 14:17
Well, that depends on the dream, doesn't it? We have the Norse Hero Dream and the Greek God Dream...LOL

However, size matters, and at an average 1.75m for the Dutch girls, the search for tall enough men gets harder the further away you get... (Exeptions welomed of course, we could always go to Kenia, the Dark Warrior Dream...)

Edited by Aelfgifu - 18-Jan-2007 at 14:23

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 15:12
Let's not lose track completely and forget the German Nazi Officer Dream now.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 15:43
Yes, you are right. So, let's combine them: Ralph Fiennes as Nazi in Schindler's list, with the haircut and the nice eyes.Tongue

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 16:02
Absolutely. Though, as a male, his appeal to me is somewhat limited. On the other hand you don't see many female Nazi officers, so I guess I'll just have to settle for some fantasies about Helga from "Allo Allo".
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 16:15
Exept for Allison Doody of course...

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 16:19
Yeah, she looks like she could teach me some...discipline.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>