Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your quote of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your quote of the day
    Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 13:40
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." ~ H. D. Thoreau
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 15:27
"It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you."

Lady Bird Johnson

Edited by morticia - 07-Mar-2007 at 15:28
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 16:23
"Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can have. Its much sexier than any body part."
--Aimee Mullins, Oprah Magazine, May 2004
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:28
"Nice shot "
--- Larry Bird NBA Finals 1985 Lakers- Celtics, Match 3

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:37
Arnie says with a big grin on his face and Austrian accent "It's as satisfying to me as, uh, coming is, you know? As, ah, having sex with a woman and coming. And so can you believe how much I am in heaven? I am like, uh, getting the feeling of coming in a gym, I'm getting the feeling of coming at home, I'm getting the feeling of coming backstage when I pump up, when I pose in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling, so I am coming day and night. I mean, it's terrific. Right? So you know, I am in heaven."

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Pumping Iron 1977
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 21:41
Don't blame me I voted Labor

-bumper sticker sitting on my kitchen bench from back in the days when my parents were active Labor party members.
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 22:37
Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war. -Earnest Hemingway
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 03:05

"Bad News : Oil is running out ,Good News : Oil is running out."

-Hermann Scheer,Le Monde Diplomatique
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 01:04

We tend to assume that power, like nature, abhors a vacuum. In the history of world politics, it seems, someone is always bidding for hegemony. Today it is the United States; a century ago it was Britain. Before that, it was the French, the Spaniards and so on. The 19th-century German historian Leopold von Ranke, doyen of the study of statecraft, portrayed modern European history as an incessant struggle for mastery, in which a balance of power was possible only through recurrent conflict.

Power, in other words, is not a natural monopoly; the struggle for mastery is both perennial and universal. The "unipolarity" identified by commentators following the Soviet collapse cannot last much longer, for the simple reason that history hates a hyperpower. Sooner or later, challengers will arise, and back we must go to a multipolar, multipower world.

But what if this view is wrong? What if the world is heading for a period when there is no hegemon? What if, instead of a balance of power, there is an absence of power? Such a situation is not unknown in history. Though the chroniclers of the past have long been preoccupied with the achievements of great powers--whether civilizations, empires or nation states--they have not wholly overlooked eras when power has receded. Unfortunately, the world's experience with power vacuums is hardly encouraging. Anyone who dislikes U.S. hegemony should bear in mind that, instead of a multipolar world of competing great powers, a world with no hegemon at all may be the real alternative to it. This could turn out to mean a new Dark Age of waning empires and religious fanaticism; of endemic rapine in the world's no-go zones; of economic stagnation and a retreat by civilization into a few fortified enclaves.

The End of Power
Wall Street Editorial

By Niall Feguson

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 20:11
Racist British Imperialists: Olef Caroe and later Dr. C.J. Wills, Persia as it is: 1887:

"AND IN TRUTH THE PERSIAN IS NO-FINE WEATHER SOLDIER; NOR IS HE A MERE FIGHTING MACHINE. HARDY AND OF POWERFUL PHYSIQUE, HE IS AT THE SAME TIME VERY INTELLIGENT, AMENABLE TO TIGHT DISCIPLINE, SOBER, BRAVE AND READY TO UNQUESTIONABLY FOLLOW HIS OFFICERS IF HE CAN TRUST THEM"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 16:53

i have recently watched the film 'The History Boys', and while the movie is one long volume of memorable and interesting quotes, two stick out for me and i apologise for the profanity but i thought the expression was valid in the context used..Embarrassed

.."History is just women following behind.....with a bucket"...

..."History is just one f*****g thing after another".....

..i thought they were interesting perspectives...
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 21:31

"Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the magical man - from Happyland! In a gum-drop house on Lollypop Lane! ... Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic."

- Homer Simpson

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 21:40

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

- Mark Twain

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 01:38
Quite a funny one raised by a classmate of mine today (he shall remain anonymous):
"Subjectivity is right! Nothing is objective! Full stop."
Smile
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 21:42
"Superpowers behave like two heavily armed blind men feeling their way around a room, each believing himself in mortal peril from the other whom he assumes to have perfect vision... Of course, over a time even two armed blind men can do enormous damage to each other, not to speak of the room."

Henry Kissinger, The White House Years pg.522

Quoted from 'War and Society in the Roman World'
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 17:25
For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes. But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere.

"Blessed are the merciful" in a courtroom? "Blessed are the peacemakers" in the Pentagon? Give me a break!

It so happens that idealism enough for anyone is not made of perfumed pink clouds. It is the law! It is the US Constitution.

But I myself feel that our country, for whose Constitution I fought in a just war, might as well have been invaded by Martians and body snatchers. Sometimes I wish it had been. What has happened instead is that it was taken over by means of the sleaziest, low-comedy, Keystone Cops-style coup d'tat imaginable.

Kurt Vonnegut, second world war veteran - http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13659.htm
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 06:39
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 07:09
"Get away from me, you creep"

A particularly charming girl's response to an 'approach' from one of my mates on the dance floor last night
Sorgina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sorgina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:28
I have nothing but respect for you, and not much of that.
Groucho Marx
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 10:07
The killing of a man is not the defence of a doctrine, it is the killing of a man.

Sebastian Castellio, on the burning at the stake for heresy of Michel Servet by Calvin.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>