Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your quote of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your quote of the day
    Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 14:42

Guys, this thread was meant more for things you happen to read day to day, for example, from current affairs rather than historical quotations!

Edited by Zagros - 22-Jan-2007 at 14:43
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 08:38
OK, sorry Zagros ...
Well than, my quote for the day is:

"Don't get mad, get sadistic!"

- Playstation 2 game 'Destroy All Humans!'

Edited by Knights - 23-Jan-2007 at 08:39
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 14:35
I'm feeling very 'feminist' today, so here it goes:

"We are human beings first, with minor differences from men that apply largely to the act of reproduction. We share the dreams, capabilities, and weaknesses of all human beings, but our occasional pregnancies and other visible differences have been used even more pervasively, if less brutally, than radical differences have been to mark us for an elaborate division of labor that may once have been practical but has since become cruel and false."
                         - Gloria Steinem

otherwise known as one of the most influential American feminists!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 15:59
"Animals are humans too!" Said my professor todayLOL
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 20:46
yaba daba doooooo!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:07
"Life, if you're fat, is a minefield- you have to pick your way, otherwise you blow up"
Miriam Margolyes
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 20:40
"In the villages men knew better. There they remembered the threnes that had been composed when news came that the city had fallen, punished by God for its luxury, its pride and its apostasy, but fighting a heroic battle to the end. They remembered that dreadful Tuesday, a day that all true Greeks still know to be of ill omen; but their spirits tingled and their courage rose as they told of the last Christian Emperor standing in the breach, abandoned by his Western allies, holding the infidel at bay till their numbers overpowered him and he died, with the Empire as his winding-sheet."

Runciman, The Fall of Constantinople
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 01:14
I found an old quote I'd written down from my economics teacher and thought it kinda counts...

"And then we have the Africans, but we don't care about them because they're all poor."
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 19:28
Don't worry about suicide bombers, one day or another they will be gone~ Royal Canadian Air Farce-political comedy show-taking about the war on terrorism.    
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 01:18

"It goes without saying that the North Germans can't assimilate our folk-lore. Do you know anything more ridiculous than a Berliner in leather shorts? A Scotsman can be recieved in London, in the best society, dressed in his national costume - but anyone in Berlin who put on a Tyrol costume would give the impression that he was going to Carnival. It was with great reluctance that I had definately to give up wearing leather shorts. It was too much of a complication for me to have to change my clothes several times a day, like a mannequin, to adapt myself to the psychology of my visitors. In such dress, I couldn't have been taken seriously by Germans from north of Coburg. Throughout my youth, even in winter, I never wore anything else.

I first of all adopted the kind of costume that goes with riding-boots, then I fell back on the bourgeois pair of trousers. Indeed, as soon as one gives up the most comfortable clothes, why should one take to the most uncomfortable in exchange? But it's rather sad to see the old costumes gradually dying out.

I suggested to Himmler that he might dress two or three guards units in leather shorts. Obviously they would have to be handsome chaps, and not necessarily all from the South. I can quite well imagine a soldier with a Hamburg accent displaying sunburnt knees.

Apart from all that, leather shorts have an advantage that one's not afraid of getting them dirty. On the contrary. they're ennobled by stains, like a Stradivarious by age. In Germany nowadays all the young men are wearing leather shorts.

There are two things that I find charming when worn by young people - short trousers and skiing trousers. To think that there are idiots who wanted to make them wear boots! The habit of skiing can never be too much encouraged - because of Russia."

- Adolf Hitler..... on the evening of 17th February 1942.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 12:47
"As much as idiot a white person can be ,the more stupid a black man seems to him."

Andre Gide,1927
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
DocStaph View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DocStaph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 15:03
It is better to progress in life then to decay
Pregnancy is a Death Sentence to an Afghan Woman!
DocStaph View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DocStaph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 15:10
Flowers are the supreme example of natures reproductive exuberance, ensuring the persistence of life against an onslaught of destructive forces, constantly evolving pathogens, and unpredictable environmental changes, Dr. Burger says.
Pregnancy is a Death Sentence to an Afghan Woman!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 06:54
FIFA president Sepp Blatter:

"I would like to apologize to our football fans in Australia
The Socceroos should have gone into the quarter-finals in place of Italy. They were up to beat Italy."

I can now at least respect FIFA a little.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 08:34
"I'm the Gaffer. The buck stops with me."

Steve Staunton, Ireland's charismatic soccer manager.
 Despite the fact that he is anything but the "gaffer", and by all accounts not only has the buck not stopped with him, it has gone right past him on numerous occasions.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:08
I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

Alice Roosevelt Longworth
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:37
As we still live in a society where the politics of fear gives governments powers and keeps us feeling edgy at night, I think this historical quote is even more relevent today and could be in any newspaper. A chilling thought!

" I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 13:39
"You may go if you wish. But remember this: walk away now and you walk away from your crafts, your skills, your vocations; leaving the next generation with nothing but recycled, digitally-sampled techno-grooves, quasi-synth rhythms, pseudo-songs of violence-laden gangsta-rap, acid pop, and simpering, saccharine, soulless slush. Depart now and you forever separate yourselves from the vital American legacies of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed, Memphis Slim, Blind Boy Fuller, Louis Jordon, Little Walter, Big Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson I and II, Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson, Elvis Presley, Lieber and Stoller, and Robert K. Weiss."

Elwood Blues
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 12:14
Originally posted by Sined

" I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

That has been said so much that its become a buzz term.

"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 08:11

"Decent people... Vote Ulster Unionist"

This was the Ulster Unionist Party slogan for the last General election. I always get a kick out of it.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>