Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Battles! -> Post Your Favourite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Battles! -> Post Your Favourite
    Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 17:02
the irony of it all, everybody forgets about the battle of persian gates, the bravery of those men and their sacrifice, is it a bias towards Greek images of bravery or is it something else.  what is the consensus for this battle, 100 to 700 persians against 30k of Alex's troops?

my vote goes to the battle of carrhae by the way
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 17:12
Never heard of that one. Interesting story.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 19:05
Only a few people have, I find it striking. A few historians agree that the Persians numbered up to 91,000. This is rubbish. The Battle of the Persian Gate was to buy time for Darius to field another army and stop Alexander. The Great King would have left Ariobarzan with a hand full of warriors, hoping that the terrian should stop Alexander's massive army.

-EDIT- I was pondering on whether I should create an article on the Battle for the AE Magazine.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 25-Mar-2008 at 19:22
What is the officer problem?
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 02:06
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

Only a few people have, I find it striking. A few historians agree that the Persians numbered up to 91,000. This is rubbish. The Battle of the Persian Gate was to buy time for Darius to field another army and stop Alexander. The Great King would have left Ariobarzan with a hand full of warriors, hoping that the terrian should stop Alexander's massive army.

-EDIT- I was pondering on whether I should create an article on the Battle for the AE Magazine.

you should, Ariobarzan was stopping for a month, a man considered by many as the greatest general in the world, to say the least, the man had balls and was wise enough to fight with guerrilla tactics. I think this is one of the first times this strategy was used though I am uncertain.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 09:21
Feel free to write up an article on the battle Darius, we'd love it. PM me if you like.

- Knights -
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 01:11
Originally posted by JUliusAugustus

Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

you should, Ariobarzan was stopping for a month, a man considered by many as the greatest general in the world, to say the least, the man had balls and was wise enough to fight with guerrilla tactics. I think this is one of the first times this strategy was used though I am uncertain.

Cyrus the Great (590 or 576 BC - 529 or 530BC) excelled at such unconventional warfare as well.
What is the officer problem?
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 08:15

In addition to the Battle Of The Thracian Triballian, and the Battle Of Pandosia, i think it would also be fair to mention the Battle Of Grunwald, the decisive battle of the Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War, which took place on July 15, 1410. It is considered by many to be one of the greatest battles in Medieval history.

The battle showcased the combined armies of the kingdoms of Poland and Lithuanian, led by Wladyslaw II, of Poland and Vytautas The Great, of Lithuania vs. the Knights of the Teutonic Order. The war started becuase the inhabitants of Samogitia rebelled for the second time in 1409, against their extremely powerful overlords the Teutonic Knights. Both Poland and Lithuania announced their support for the rebels, which gave the Knights, being subject to the Pope, a reason to declare war. The Knights invaded Poland but were repulsed. The Lithuanians and Poles then used this time to make preperations to remove the Teutonic threat once and for all. Vytautas proceeded to gather an army from all 18 of his territories, merged them with Polish forces, and marched towards the heavily defended Teutonic headquaters at Marienburg Castle.

No one will ever know exactly how many soldiers were fielded. Historians estimate that the allies fielded 16,000-18,000 Polish calvary, and 6,000-8,000 Lithuanian light calvary, with the Teutonic Knights fielding 13,000-15,000 heavy calvary, as opposed to sources who outragiously claim that both sides fielded close to 3 million men each.

The battle is said to have ended with 8,000 Teuton soldiers killed, and 14,000 taken captive. The leadership of the Knights also being wiped out.

One thing is for certain. Vytautas The Great, and Wladislaw II crushed the Teutonic Order in such a manner, that the Knights, would never again be able to gain enough strength, to threaten Lithuania, Poland, or anyone else.

Sergeant113 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sergeant113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 07:56
i propose a famous battle of  Bach Dang river. This was the battle in which Vietnamese dynasty of Tran defeated a superior army of the Mongolian( Yuan dynasty).
In 1287, Prince Toghan led an army of 300,000 soldiers back into Dai Viet (a Vietnamese nation) in a second attempt to conquer the country despite their humiliation in their previous attempt.This army was supposely several times larger than the Vietnamese petty army. After a year of fighting, for many reasons, the mongols tried to retreat back home on the large battle vessels, awaiting for another plan for invasion. General Tran Quoc Tuan recalled the tactics that had saved the country once before. He instructed his soldiers to plant wooden stakes into the Bach Dang river, just as had been done 350 years ago against a Han invading force. The purpose of this tactic was to lure the enemy's ships into the trap when the tides went down, wrecking and trapping the ships before the Vietnamese smaller boats sallied out to counter attack.In the end, The Mongolian army and its 400 battle ships were destroyed whereas the Vietnamese force sustained few casulties. Prince Toghan was killed and Kublai Khan( Yuan emperor) gave up his dream of conquest.
This was an amazing feat since no other country at that time could withstand, let alone defeat an mongol army that large.(the Mamluke never fought an army that large at Battle of Wadi al-Khazandar).Cool
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 08:46
i vote for Battle of Tusculum. Battle of Tusculum is between Holy Roman Empire(German) and italy city state. The Holy Roman Empire had 500 knights and 800 mercenaries and Italy city state had 30000 armed men. Result: Italy city state soldier been kill and capture about 14000 men and the Holy Roman Empire sustanied few casulties.(if you want more detail about the battle ,please tell me)Big%20smile

Edited by gothic knight14 - 20-Apr-2008 at 08:52
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2008 at 23:18
Well, it wasn't a big battle but the Battle of Trenton's impact on the course of history is much larger than those with greater numbers. The Revolutoin looked like it was over, but Washington devised a complicated plan to attack Trenton and capture the Hessian garrison. Out of the 4 groups to cross the Delaware River, only 1 was able to achive their objective, and that was Washington's. He personally led the charge into Trenton, and then had the cannon put on the high ground at the head of the town. When the Hessians when charging up the hill, they were mowed down by the cannon. After about an hour Washington had the Hessians surrounded and over 1,000 of the 1,500 Hessians were killed, wounded or captured.
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Celtic Mercenary View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Celtic Mercenary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 03:40
The greatest battle is in a battle itself between about 5 battles which are...

1. Charge of the Light Brigade
2.Paschendale
3.Gettysburg
4.Battle of Arsuf
5.Battle of Dublin
War has made one good thing: books
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Celtic Mercenary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 03:48
These battles are very famous and very tragic and if you don't know them, read about them, you learn of the men who died for their country and beliefs as they make there way through the blood soaked fields, knowing they will most likely perish
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Celtic Mercenary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2008 at 03:53
Originally posted by Celtic Mercenary

The greatest battle is in a battle itself between about 5 battles which are...

1. Charge of the Light Brigade
2.Paschendale
3.Gettysburg
4.Battle of Arsuf
5.Battle of Dublin
"No mockeries for them now, nor prayers nor bells
Kochanoglu View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kochanoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 15:14

my favourite is yarmuk battle(636). legendary islam command halid bin velid and 30.000 muslim against byzantine command  heraclius and 240.000 byzantines.and the victory of muslim army.

Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 21:46
I love the Battle of Iwo Jima (well not in the sense that it was good or anything), but how both the Japanese and Americans expressed their bravery is truely amazing.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 22:46
my favorite battles are: fall of constantinople, battle of nagashino, battle of sekigahara, battle of hastings, battle of gaugamela, battle of kursk, battle of crésy, every battle where the czech army destroy the deutsch army(for example battle of chlumec)

hate battles: battle on the morava field(very tragical for my nation), siege of viena
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 00:19
I vote for The Chaco War, battles in it are really obscure so i can't name any specifics but almost all of them involve trench warfare in hellish swamp jungle climate with bloody human wave assaults achieving no gain. With political infighting happening during the whole time. Sound pretty friggen interesting if you ask me.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
warwolf1969 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote warwolf1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2010 at 06:10
Leuthen for me.  A better version of Austerliz.  Frederick was out numbered by almost 3-1 and managed to defeat the Austrian's totally.
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2012 at 14:33
Battle of Nagashino.

Easily my favorite battle to read about.
MegasAlexandros View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MegasAlexandros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2014 at 09:03
Well I love all of Alexander's battles but if I only had to choose one it would be the battle of Hydaspes. He was facing an enemy that used totally alien tactics to him in a hostile environment at night in torrential rain and mud and still won the battle. He achieved this through using his superior military genius that no one at the time could match. Even the mighty Indian war elephants were defeated by Alexander's excellent Macedonian army who had never even seen them before. That just shows the level of tactical adaptability Alexander had. In all this would have to be my favourite Alexander battle and one of my favourite ever battles.
"Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters." Alexander the Great
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>