Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Battles! -> Post Your Favourite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
alexandruu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Battles! -> Post Your Favourite
    Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 07:19
Hello

I was thinking about structuring the info about the great battles of history through this post.

My idea is that each of us could very briefly describe his favorite battle, and, at the end of each week, the other forumers will choose one single battle to be presented in full detail. After that, the writer will receive grades, concerning his literary style, variety of information, and novelty of his approach.

Ex:

Contantinius briefly presents the battle of Manzikert,
Cezar - the battle of Tapae,
I briefly present the battle of Thermopylae

After a week, most of the forumers choose Tapae, and Cezar starts writing a most-appealing scenario about that military encounter, his story getting various grades from the readers.

What say you ? 
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 10:28
I present the Battle of La Matanza de Acentejo-1494, the greatest defeat of the spaniards in their oversea expansion LOL
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 20:00
I present the Battle Of The Standard, fought on 22 August 1138, between an invading Scottish army under the leadership of King David I and a conglomeration of Anglo-Norman forces under Thurstan, Archibishop of York. Not a large or particularly famous battle, but one I'm well familiar with since I've researched it for table-top, miniature wargaming purposes.   
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 20:32
Time ago alexandruu there were a post similar to this (in fact, hundreds althought less originals), where each forumer provide with good info about their favourite battle. Of course, all the great battles was presented. Demons what i'm saying! The new generations have the right of open this type of post, like others do before us LOL

But excuse me if i presented a less known event, isn't a joke but a trully interest.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 23:09
I present the Battle of Ilipa. Over 50,000 Carthaginians and Allies under Hasdrubal Gisgo up against about 45,000 Romans and Spanish under Publius Scipio (Africanus). A definitive victory would all but end Scipio's campaign in Iberia and greatly further the Carthaginian standing in the 2nd Punic War. Scipio wins an absolutely outstanding victory, baffling Hasdrubal before the forces had even engaged. 
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 00:21
Can we also include sieges?
last_janissary View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote last_janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 06:58
Conquest of İstanbul...
http://www.ilkerozer.net

Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 15:53
Originally posted by Penelope

Can we also include sieges?
Of course; if it is your favorite battle.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 09:06
Have we determined when 'the end of the week' is? i.e. When are we going to decide on who elaborates on their chosen battle? So far, my choice for the battle to be presented in more detail would have to be The Battle of the Standard presented by Konstantinius. 
Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 12:59
Originally posted by Knights

Have we determined when 'the end of the week' is? i.e. When are we going to decide on who elaborates on their chosen battle? So far, my choice for the battle to be presented in more detail would have to be The Battle of the Standard presented by Konstantinius. 

Well, I guess it would be best to set our time according to the first post - Ikki's, on the 6th of January.

So, let the battles pouring in until the 11th of January, and we'll decide which one will be thouroughly described until the 13th; the winner will post his story on the 13th or 14th. 

By the way, if I'll get to write a storym, I'm going to tell you about the battle of Vaslui - 1475 - where at least 100.000 Ottomans faced 50.000 Moldavians at the most.
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 02:26
I present the Battle of Sekigahara, where Tokugawa Ieyasu decisively defeated Ishida Mitsunari in the struggle for conquest of Japan.
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 08:33
Gentlemen, please make your choice.

I choose the battle of Illipa, to be story-told by Knights.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 11:33
My vote for the Battle of Standard presented by Konstantinous.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 12:11
I vote for the Battle of Standard.

I would present the Battle of Kalka where a Mongol force defeated a gathered force from all Rus states (at least from most).
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 14:29
Sorry, but you may know my point of view.

The most important battle ever, was the battle at the fields of the stupidity.
Where the truth, sincerity, respect were fighting against the honor, religion, arragonce and ignorance. the first named obviously lost this fight.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 17:30
oh ulrich you know that you are fighting a very hard war
Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 13:17
All right, gentlemen,  the winner is...

Konstantinius !,

with the battle of Standard.

Konstantinius, please write a detailed story about the battle, and we will give grades after that.

Can't wait ! Clap
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:17
Roger that. Report to be posted by end of this weekend (sorry, school started today, situation a little chaotic). Question: should I post on this thread, under "Medieval Europe", or on a separate thread under "Military History". Cheers, thanks for the honors. 

Edited by konstantinius - 17-Jan-2007 at 19:19
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 11:13

hmmm for those of us that are a little *coughs* new to the battle please give a bit of background to it?|

people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by AlbinoAlien

hmmm for those of us that are a little *coughs* new to the battle please give a bit of background to it?|

We'll be waiting for Konstantinius's post regarding the battle. I think it belongs on the Medieval History forum. We'll talk about it there, and then go back to the Military History page for the next battle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>