Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seen any movies recently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>
Author
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seen any movies recently?
    Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:04
The new X-files movie is decent, not great, just decent.
The Happening is a loser movie with a loser  message and M. Night Shyamalan needs to get back to what he is good at, suspenseful movies, not movies full of gratuitous violence for the sake of gratuitous violence. Besides, the gratuitous violence thing was overdone in the 70's and 80's and has continued on ever since as if that is enough to carry a storyline.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:37
I saw the Dark Knight. Amazing, I was never a big fan of Heath Ledger after seeing the movie my opinion has changed drastically. His rendition of the Joker was awesome and in my eyes superior to that of Jack Nicholson. Everybody should go see this movie.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:45
Originally posted by Parnell

I liked Apocalypto. Most modern films on history tend to gloss over the fact that nations which suffered under Imperialism tended to be pretty bad themselves (Braveheart and Scotland for example, the Scots did a lot of pretty dishonourable things, also Kingdom Of Heaven seems to overlook a lot of pretty nasty Arab activities) Apocolypto accurately portrayed the native Mayans for the angry murderous men they were! A nation that ritually sacrified people against their will by tearing out their hearts to show them to the victim before they die deserves a good pawning...

Ummmmmm... sorry to rain on your parade Parnell... but Gargoyle must inform you that the film Apocalypto is NOT a historically accurate portrayal of the Ancient Maya... especially during the time of the Spanish arrival...

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 23:11
Originally posted by King John

I saw the Dark Knight. Amazing, I was never a big fan of Heath Ledger after seeing the movie my opinion has changed drastically. His rendition of the Joker was awesome and in my eyes superior to that of Jack Nicholson. Everybody should go see this movie.

I agree. Heath Ledger, so far having been unnoticed in my lists of good actors, blows one away. Increadible. Although I would be hesitant in calling him better than Jack Nicholson. I would settle for calling them impossible to compare due to complete and utter different interpretation of the role by the actors, and utter and complete different intention of the type of movie by the directors. They are different, and both are amazing.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 00:07
Whats moviemaking is all about:

I just watched Sergio Leone's "Once upon a time in the West" again after 35 years.
Still as brilliant as the first time.

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 01:29
Originally posted by Northman

Whats moviemaking is all about:

I just watched Sergio Leone's "Once upon a time in the West" again after 35 years.
Still as brilliant as the first time.

I agree 100%.  Great movie, great music.  It's really hard to pick out Ennio Morricone's best work but 'Once upon a Time in the West' is right up there with 'Cinema Paradiso'.  What's so great about those Spagetti Western is that American audience saw them as their own legendary stories of the Wild West but the Italian film makers made them as the stories of their own experience through the World Wars, revolutions, modernization and the village life, just packaged in cowboy hats and revolvers.  Makes me think about the universality of the human experiences in changing and chaotic time.
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 07:39
Recently saw Indiana Jones and Mummy III. 

I really enjoyed Indy, first I've been old enough to see in theatres.  I thought the time period, and aliens would not work at all going in.  It worked pretty well for me.  I loved the humor in it, it was an experience (surreal is the best word to use) to see him older, fighting russians instead of nazis and such. Definitely sunk in times have changed in real life (20 years since Last Crusade came out) and in the story.  Cate Blanchett was great, also better than I expected, I liked the Mutt character a good deal.  Definitely worth seeing multiple times. 

Mummy III wasn't as good as the first two in my estimation, but then I didn't expect it to be.  Also different timeframe and such for this one versus the first two.  Some of the story elements seemed out there:   Jet Li's character having command of the elements, immortal witch's etc.  Though some worked better than anticipated; the abominable snowmen and how Jet Li's character came to be the "mummy".  (it was a huge relief to see he wasn't an actual mummy, but terra cotta)  It was entertaining, though I'm not sure worth seeing again. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 05:46
recently saw.. hellboy mov.. tht was last mth... it's ok
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 09:46
The Forbidden Kingdom, I believe. 
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 17:35
I have recently watched the most expensive Asian Movie  "Red Cliff" and liked it a lot. Thumbs%20Up

Σαυρομάτης
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 19:26
Today i saw the new X-files - it was sooooo boring!LIke a latino soup opera.Bought the concept and the film itself were a huge dissapointment.I couldn't wait for it to finish...Even Hellboy was more interresting.Do NOT watch it! LOL
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 21:41
Indiana Jones- not bad!!
I loved the people eating ants in it- lol
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 22:00
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I have recently watched the most expensive Asian Movie  "Red Cliff" and liked it a lot. Thumbs%20Up

I saw this a few weeks ago. Worst part about it was we have to wait until part 2 comes out early next year. So far it is sticking with more of historical look on things instead of the Romance of the three kingdoms view on the event. If you've ever watched the epic 84 part Chinese mini series you would know what a mean.

I liked it and will certainly watch the second part.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 06:22
I just saw Wanted, I thought it was entertaining.  Gory, but fun. 

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 10:13
Just saw the second and third Shrek movies.  They were fun, the second one was on par with the first, the third slightly below the first two.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 10:48
Saw The Dark Knight.

Wish I hadn't.

I trust they're right that suffering is good for the soul.

Edited by gcle2003 - 03-Sep-2008 at 10:49
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 13:16
Bablyon AD was a let down realy
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 17:20
Shaun The Sheep - Shape Up with Shaun

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 17:40
I saw Get Smart's Bruce and Loylld, funny but incredibly stupidLOL

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 17:52
Naruto Shippuuden the movie.. it's ok.. prefer the series...yupp..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 35>