Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team Sports - The new opium of the people

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team Sports - The new opium of the people
    Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 14:58
Ok im starting this topic regarding the phenomenal growth in team sports in the past century and present time. The sport industry today is a multi-billion dollar business, spanning all continents but especially in the west and more recently in the east as well.

I understand that before our age people also liked to watch sports. However it was nowhere as widely watched as sports franchises today such as football(soccer), NFL, AFL, rubgy, etc. Even as early as the 1930's my grandfather who was a goalkeeper of a local team and then in the national team had to pay for everything from cleats to flights in neighboring countries.

The point of this thread is to isolate the initial cause that has caused this explosion in sports. Is it because the individuals self-worth is so low and they need to be part of something greater that is a "winner" to feel more important? Could this be applied when people choose a political candidate as well, making our democratic process a simple choice of picking the candidate who is most likely to win rather than the one supporting your views?

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Aleksandr01 View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Aleksandr01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 18:29
Sporting and athletic competitions were always popular. Nowadays there is more media with which people can broadcast themselves with. More people have televisions or radios or home computers, so it is easy for more people to watch the same sporting event. Back in the day, people still participated in sports just as much, but only small communities could gather and view one sporting event as opposed to the whole world nowadays. So in other words, it was the spark in technology that has allowed sporting to become much more popular.
What you said about a person's individual self-worth may also have some relevance as nowadays depression and anxiety is much more common than it used to be, so people may want to use sports as a sort of 'stress-reliever'.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 17:10
Right but when you say "back in the day" how far in history are you going? I don't see sports being very popular prior to the 19th century for one major reason. People didn't nearly have the time to watch or participate in them as they have today. Most were actually preoccupied with the survival business of ensuring they had food on the table the next winter.

Meanwhile today a person doesn't even have to like the sport to be fan of it. A friend of mine is an example of this. He watches American Football which is a great sport but he doesn't even like it. I ask him why does he watch it and he answers not because he likes the sport but because its so popular and the stadiums "are always full". Also of course most people are more likely to support teams that have a long history of winning against other teams in any sport.

Edited by vulkan02 - 01-Jan-2007 at 17:13
Tigerlily View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tigerlily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 14:02
The metaphor "new opium of people" got me startled.  Indeed, I agree with this term.  Team supporting has gone out of control and lost its initial meaning.  Today, supporting rival sports teams may well be a reason for making ennemies.  Sad to say, but in my country I observe both educated and non-educated people who are addicted to team supporting in a dangerous way.  In big derby matches of soccer, many young people, even children get killed because of the tension and chaos among the spectators.  They believe that their team is something to die for and stadiums scare me as if they were a battlefield. 
This is more than just "relieving stress."  In my opinion, people should relax by actually participating in team sports or individual sports.  Not by only watching it and fighting over it.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 21:48
Welcome to AE forum Tigerlily. Its not only about the violence of sports that I write here of. The explosion of sports seems like testimony to me also of the unusual age in which we live in. 50000-60000 seater stadiums costing millions of dollars, popping up like mushrooms everywhere in the world to feed this growing thirst for watching team sport competitions.

Now thats not to say I don't watch sport but its just something that has left me pondering off this last week. Has the worth of the individual been so diminished that we absolutely needs sports to increase it?
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 14:01
Oh yes, this is the modern Colosseum, only not as violent and far less interesting.

Bread and circus, it's the same story all over again.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 20:58
The modern sports industry represents billions in $$$. I'm disgusted with it. The multi-million contracts offered to young kids just out of high school, the doping scandals, the arrogance and sheer ego-tripping of these young athletes who have acquired cult status in the media... I'd much rather return to the Colisseum days as Reginmud suggests above.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 16:24
Can't tell you how i love drugs........

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 17:33
Originally posted by Reginmund

Oh yes, this is the modern Colosseum, only not as violent and far less interesting.

Hopefully it will only get more extreme with time until when the day arrives that UFC fighters will fight with nailguns and chainsaws.
the_glitch View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote the_glitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:07
Opium is correct.Some people will always refer to their team as "us", and refer to a fan of different team as "you guys".This leads to many insane conversation like "we beat you guys so badly yesterday".Given that a team would not exist with out money from the fans, but some people act like they are actually playing on the team.
I know your not writting about the violence, but it's a horrible thing that people riot(when the team wins or loses) and beat up somebody just because they supported the "wrong" team.
Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:14
Ive always found it interesting that crowds in soccer matches are always more volatile than those watching Rugby or AFL. A friend of mine had a theory that because soccer is such a slow and non-violent sort of a game the punters have to go nuts to keep the adrenaline pumping, whereas because rugby is already a fairly nasty game the crowds are so much more relaxed. Of course if this was true then cricket would end in genocide every match.
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 21:15
Originally posted by Reginmund

Exactly..

There is no modern world... It has always been a continuation of anciency
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 21:17
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Can't tell you how i love drugs........

Dont worry, last year I happened to know how Borussia Dortmund numbled you to a large extentLOL
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Post Reply Post Reply