Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Persian music & poetry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Persian music & poetry
    Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 00:17
Mohammad Reza Shajarian...

- Live Part 5/6: missing
- Live Part 6/6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAoyu5vL2bw (my fave) Smile 

Edited by Hellios - 27-Dec-2006 at 18:04
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 06:04
I love the kamanche and tonbak, that's his son playing on the tonbak and also singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnoVTr2RyBw&mode=related&search=

That is Nazeri from his concert in Tabriz.

Edited by Zagros - 26-Dec-2006 at 06:27
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 08:58
Googoosh -   

Googoosh - She was so hot! Look at those seductive eyes! Such a good dancer too.

Shame she married a mullah and came to her senses 20 years too late. lol.

Edited by Zagros - 26-Dec-2006 at 09:17
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 10:07

Shakila - Classic Persian with Ney

Kamkars in Persian, the female vocalist on the left, Mryam Ebrahimpour, is my dad's cousin's cousin!

Edited by Zagros - 26-Dec-2006 at 10:22
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 11:29
Shajarian is great, i have seen him live in a concert in Hamburg.

Edited by Maziar - 26-Dec-2006 at 11:29
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 11:37
More Googoosh, Hellios, you have ruined my day with this thread, all I have been doing is surfing youtube.

Talagh (divorce) - one of my faves.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 12:16
Me 2 LOLLOL
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 12:35
So you know Arash, don't you? I am very sure, if he lived in Iran his music won't be so pupolar. But europeans love him, he was 3 weeks in the top ten of Germany. Could you believe it? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29Omh8XgVI

shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 12:37
I am a big fan of Shajarian, Persian music is very technical, and to enjoy that a musical knowledge is necessary.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Zagros

Hellios, you have ruined my day with this thread, all I have been doing is surfing youtube.

It's been Persian music day here too.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 18:44

Googoosh - She was so hot! Look at those seductive eyes! Such a good dancer too. 

Spectacular.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 19:34
The 12 main Persian music instruments:

01. Barbat: a very important instrument in the course of the history of Persian music. The ud seems to be of Iranian origin and is the barbat of the pre-Islamic era. It was taken by the Arabs and with its Arabic name, ud, was introduced into Europe to become the famous Lute, so popular during the renaissance. Is a short necked with pear-shaped body and is played with plectrum. It normally has five courses of two strings tuned mainly in fourths, without frets.

02. Daf: a frame drum with a row of small circular metal hoops fastened to the inside of its rim, the hoops will rattle when the membrane of the drum is struck.

03. Gheichak: a bowed spike fiddle. The instrument has four metal strings and a range of about two and half octaves. Shaped like the Indian sarinda.

(image missing)

04. Narmeh-Nay: mostly used in the west or south-west part of Caspian Sea. Turks, Azeris, Armenians, Kurds, were in love with the Narmeh-Nay. The Kurds called it narmeh-nay, the Turks named it mey, it is also referred to as balaban in Azerbaijan, and doodook in Armenia. There is an instrument much similar to Narmeh-nay yet much shorter in size exists in China called guan. Narmeh-nay has limited capacity and is used to play native melodies, which range into one octave and several notes, and never reaches a second octave.

(image missing)

05. Nay: dates back to the age of the pyramids. Ney is a vertical reed pipe with six finger holes in front and one in the back. It is made of a seven-segment section of reed. Ney is common throughout the Near east, although the Iranian technique is probably the most versatile, using both the low breathy register and the sharp higher register (held between the teeth). Ney has a range of about two and half octaves.

06. Santur: a trapezoid shape dulcimer with eighteen courses of four strings and bridges to provide three octaves, from which the Hungarian cimbalom and the Chinese yang-chin are thought to be derived. It is played by two delicate wooden hammers.

07. Setar: a long necked lute type instrument related to the ancient tanbur. It has four strings and a small half-pear shaped sound box. It is played with the strumming action of the right index finger nail. The Setar has moveable frets and a range of two octaves and a 5th.

08. Sorna: of the wind family, with a reed for generating the voice and a tubular body with finger-holes like in a flute. The body is of a progressively opening type. It is the same instrument more or less as sunay in china, shenay in India, zorna in Greece, zurla in Yugoslavia, bombarde in France, zokra in Tunis, ghaytah or raita in Morocco mizmar in Egypt, and zamr in Lebanon and Iraq.

09. Tanbur: an ancient, three stringed lute that was already present in the 3rd century at the court of the Sasanids in Iran. Eventually, the tanbur was destined to be used by the Ahl-e Haqq as a sacred instrument. Its pear-shaped body is normally carved out of one piece of mulberry wood. It has fourteen frets.

10. Tar: a plucked stringed instrument with a double-bellied body. Made of mulberry wood carved in two sections. Tar has six strings, but four of the strings are tuned in pairs. It has eighteen frets per octave unequally spaced to make possible performance of all modes and is played with a small metallic plectrum.

11. Tonbak: the chief percussion instrument, it is carved of single block of wood. Its body is hollow, open at the lower end and covered with goat skin in the wide upper end. It is held horizontally and played with both hands. The elaborated finger technique consists of various rolling and snapping styles, which allow for great variety of sounds.

12. Kamanche: a bowed instrument, which has a round and deep sound box. The body consists of a wooden hemisphere covered with thin sheepskin membrane. It has four strings and a range of about three octaves. The Kamanche is held in a vertical position, when played.

Edited by Hellios - 26-Dec-2006 at 19:39
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 19:47
Well done. Tar means string in Persian, se-tar, gui-tar ;)
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 18:06
Topic changed from "Persian music" to "Persian music & poetry" as I'll be adding Persian poetry.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 18:29
Just came across this beauty by Niyaz.

Tigers here once roamed:

Edited by Zagros - 27-Dec-2006 at 18:31
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 23:50

Just came across this beauty by Niyaz

Wow, what an incredible blend of Persian & Indian music!  Modernized so well, and good use of traditional instruments.  Apparently, "their lyrics draw from poets such as Rumi, and other classic poetry sung in Urdu also." 

Edited by Hellios - 28-Dec-2006 at 12:10
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 00:07
Originally posted by Hellios

Topic changed from "Persian music" to "Persian music & poetry" as I'll be adding Persian poetry. 

Khayyam, Persian poet, mathematician, astronomer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khayyam

Listen to Khayyam poetry:

Only first 30 seconds on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ijlbRnEbRI
Quatrain from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEF3Eobsm_M 

Edited by Hellios - 31-Dec-2006 at 03:24
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 08:12
Originally posted by Hellios

Just came across this beauty by Niyaz.

Wow, what an incredibleblend of Persian & Indian music! Modernized so well, and good use of traditional instruments. Apparently, "their lyrics draw frompoetssuch asRumi, and other classic poetry sung in Urdu."

That song's in Persian.

omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 09:14
Here is a link to possibly the greatest Flamenco singer. May seem off-topic but I find the voice-tone and the style of singing reminds me of Persian singers. Compare it with the Shajarian clips that Hellios posted in the beginning of the thread.   Click this   EL CAMARON

Edited by omshanti - 28-Dec-2006 at 09:20
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 11:02
That's amazing, I thought only iranian singers did that with their voice. What he does is not exactly the same..

But the roots in such singing are from the chanting of Zardoshti Magi in prayer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>