Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on tatars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on tatars
    Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 07:22
When did the Tatars become "Europeanized" because they dont essentially look typically mongoloid these days ?
Aleksandr01 View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Aleksandr01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 18:19
Well, not all tatars came from Mongolia. In fact, most Tatars come from the seminomadic Bulgar states of Eastern Europe. These Bulgar tribes originated on the Caspian Sea sometime around 200 A.D., and migrated into the steppes just north of the Black Sea. The Bulgars joined the Attila and the Huns as they passed through their territory. After the Huns were defeated, the Bulgar tribes dispersed throughout Eastern Europe. When the Mongols invaded in the 13th century, the mounted Bulgar warriors offered little resistance, and when defeated, they took the name of their conquerors, the Kipchak Khanate.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 18:56
they took the name of their conquerors, the Kipchak Khanate.
The Qipchak Turks are neither Bulgar nor Mongol, but Turkic.
Although to be fair there is hardly any difference, especially on the eastern Ukraine Steppe.
The Qipchaks were there before the Mongol invasion.
Karakhan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Karakhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by think

When did the Tatars become "Europeanized" because they dont essentially look typically mongoloid these days ?

Tatars are not one group, although in the past it was much broader (Bashkorts, Nogays, Teleuts, for example were counted as tatars).  However most tend to be Kazan Tatars and a good chunk seem to have stronger "European" features.  However I've seen no shortage of those who could pass as Kazakh or Kalmyk. 
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 15:45
is there ethnical connection between tartar and Turks?
leung
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 17:06
Originally posted by tommy

Yes, hundred thousands of crimean tatars "moved" or actually forced to move by stalin to Turkey.
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 18:46
An intresting point is that the people of Republic of Azerbaijan used to be called by Russians as Persian Tatar.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 08:06
Russians called all Turkic people's Tatars.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 06:31
Originally posted by Bulldog

Russians called all Turkic people's Tatars.
Wrong. For example Russians never call Yakuts, Altai people,Bashkirs, Chuvash as such. But sometimes word Tatar is used as common noun for or Mongoloid people or even just bad people :) (f.e. "Not invited guest is worse than Tatar")
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 07:38

If you mean by Turks the anatolians yes there is.

If you mean by Turk as in Turkic then the Tatars are just a sub-branche of it.

Turkic->Kipchak->Tatar
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:36
Between Iranian(persians or Turks) tatar has a negative meaning.
It represents hords of barbarians. I remember I had and an azerbaijani feriend, whith light skin and mongolian eyes, somebody in Turkey had asked him if he was a Tatar, and my feriend had tought the turkish guy  was insulting him and had answered that" tatar is your dad". the Turkish guys had said" yes my dad is a tatar , how did you figure it out?"
A word with many diffrent meanings.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by shinai

Between Iranian(persians or Turks) tatar has a negative meaning.
It represents hords of barbarians. I remember I had and an azerbaijani feriend, whith light skin and mongolian eyes, somebody in Turkey had asked him if he was a Tatar, and my feriend had tought the turkish guy  was insulting him and had answered that" tatar is your dad". the Turkish guys had said" yes my dad is a tatar , how did you figure it out?"
A word with many diffrent meanings.

LOL

hehe It is true that the anatolians(during teh Beyliks period) described Tatars as fears, Barbaric, Ruthless warriors
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 02:01
I MYSELF WERE THINKING TATARS ARE UGLY PEOPLE, UNTIL I SAW A TATAR GIRL AND.. NOW I AM MARRIED.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 06:05

I MYSELF WERE THINKING TATARS ARE UGLY PEOPLE, UNTIL I SAW A TATAR GIRL AND.. NOW I AM MARRIED.

with a Tatar girl or..?

if not this would be weird statementLOL
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 11:39

LOL or Cry
Naimani View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Naimani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 23:13
Originally posted by think

I don't think the date is clear. We still have Tatars in Mongolia today who look exactly like the rest.

Edited by Naimani - 09-Jul-2007 at 23:14
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 07:28
Originally posted by DayI

Yes, hundred thousands of crimean tatars "moved" or actually forced to move by stalin to Turkey.

No Stalin forced to move Crimean Tatars to Ozbekistan.

Today there are too many Crimean Tatars in Centeral Anatolia(Especially in Eskisehir) but they moved there at the age of Ottoman Empire.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 13:29

Does anyone have any pictures of all each of the different sub-ethnicities of Tatars?

It'd be interesting to compare.
 Post Reply Post Reply