Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aya Sophia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aya Sophia
    Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 20:05
    In the time I spent in Istanbul I visited the Agia Sophia or Church of the Holy Wisdom five times. I am going to have to start researching for more primary sources about that ancient icon to two major religions today. I am glad it is a museum today and not a church or a Mosque!! I have always had a draw to the Agia Sophia since I first read about it years ago. I would spend 2-3 hours in there just walking around and looking and I just could not leave. It was like some invisible force kept me there and in many ways I think I left my soul behind because my mind is still there. For Greeks and Greeks Americans it is a cultural magnet and besides the ancestral connection there was so much drama that took place there. I have ordered the book O' Byzantium from the library so maybe it will mention the Agia Sophia as well. I would also sit in the park between the Blue Mosque and the great church and just stare at it for an hour or so, only a history nerd would do that. The Alexiad mentions it briefly but I need to find more sources.

Edited by eaglecap - 23-Dec-2006 at 22:30
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 23:49

One of my former Turkish students sent me a pic he took of the Agia Sophia with only one mineret showing so we took it out in photo shop. I want to find a recreation painting of Agia Sophia online with the cross on top so I can copy it with photo shop and replace the half moon on the church with a cross.
Does anyone know of such an image????
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 11:59
Try this one, which is on a pretty cool site: http://www.byzantium1200.com/hagia.html
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 14:02
Wow- it is nice to get an idea or glimpse of what my Greek Byzantine ancestors might have seen it as.
many thanks
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 14:04
i wonder how was hagia sophia's look before it burnt down.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 14:11
hmm before 404 ay

OMG I did some research this beatifull building has suffered alot but yet its still standing.

I just found out that it was build over the ruins of 2 old churches in 537.

this one is true one of my favourite buildings greek architecture at it's bestClap

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 10:08
Also the crusader#s really damaged it, one of the domes had collapsed and the other one was leaking, then Kodja Sinan added his Dome style to it to save the building.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 10:30
Originally posted by Bulldog

Also the crusader#s really damaged it, one of the domes had collapsed .

well, it's true that the crusaders severelly damaged the temple, but I never heard that the dome had collapsed. In any case, there's only 1 dome, not 2!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 11:09
There's some semi-domes on the side and they were leaking, its fair to say that the Crusaders mistreated the building the most, also they changed it into a Cathedral but for some reason most of this is ignored.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 16:00

That is not surprising, since the Latin Emperors of Constantinople were in dire financial need for the greater part of their reign. The confiscation of funds intended for maintenance of the Aya Sofia (normally a fixed part of the state budget) would have been a natural consequence. Not that it accomplished anything.

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 07:18
I should say that Turks respected Hagia Sophia much more than Latins...there is an incident in 1204 when the latter placed a prostitute in the Patriarch's throne inside H.S....
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 11:29
Hagia Sophia brings tourists,of course we respect it.:)

A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 12:26
Originally posted by eaglecap

I have ordered the book O' Byzantium from the library so maybe it will mention the Agia Sophia as well.

It does, but be prepared for a sad story.  Much of Choniates' account is in the form of a lament for Constantinople and its monuments during the destruction of the Fourth Crusade.  He is especially descriptive of the desecration of the altar and patriarch's throne in the Hagia Sophia by the crusaders.

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by Batu

Is this the only reason? The money it brings  from tourism?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 15:28

I think that s a verry incorrect awnser .

The aya sofya is a magnifesent building it's averry important building for Turkish culture who isn't only Central asian you know.

Most mosk that the ottomans made were more or less  copies of this temple.....

This building inb my eyes does not belong to the turks or greks but too the world because of its beauty
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 17:44
Please stop pretending your personal opinions represents everyone. There is no "correct" or "incorrect" answer, its all based upon perception, you can either love it or hate it.

It get's pretty tiring when people begin the old, " ooooooh its so great for "all" Turks or oooh its a load of "crap" according to all Turks"

Give your own opinions and stop this ridiculous attitude that "your" opinion represents an entire nation.

Most Ottoman building's were not "copies", the Blue Mosque was a reply to the Aya Sofya, Sulemaniye has an influence, where-as Selimiye influence is in the famous Ilkhanid mosque complex. To make such a sweeping comment is ludacris and thinking that Ottoman architecture only included mosque's is even worse. There are many non-religous and civic Ottoman masterpieces, the grand palaces, fountains, towers, town layouts, courtly homes, trainstations/ports, bridges etc etc etc

Edited by Bulldog - 16-Jan-2007 at 17:45
Albert Pine

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 23:32
LOL not another Hagia Sophia "battle" please. LOL
I agree with Bulldog that we shouldn't make such sweeping judgments but Bulldog, take it easy there!

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 23:41
Originally posted by Hellios

LOL not another Hagia Sophia "battle" please. LOL
I agree with Bulldog that we shouldn't make such sweeping judgments but Bulldog, take it easy there!

Yes, a very wise suggestion indeed.  Let's talk about the cathedral in the Byzantino-Ottoman historical context rather than in nationalistic squabbles.  I tried to get the ball rolling in my post about Choniates, but everyone seems to be conveniently ignoring it!  Disapprove

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 17-Jan-2007 at 10:37
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 07:47
The Zeyrek Church is another great example of Byzantine architecture and has been restored very well recently.
Albert Pine

the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 13:02

we respect it because it is symbol of istanbul.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>