Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

nuclear weapons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nuclear weapons
    Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 16:39
i just wonder how really close was Hitler to construct nuclear weapons first,and how different could be our world nowadays?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 21:31
Germany itself never actually came that close to developing a nuclear weapon. This is not, however, due to "superior American science" or any such nonsense. It is because Hitler failed to maintain the loyalty of his scientists, most importantly Einstein some would argue. The great majority of nuclear scientists at the time were from Axis powers originally, but either defected or were "liberated" by allied forces.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 09:51

As far as I know Germans were concentrated in production of rockets and jet engines. They succided rather much in this field and later those achievements as well as German engineers were used by Soviet Union in production of their own.

gremlinlord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gremlinlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2006 at 16:50
I actually saw a NOVA show on this topic recently...apparently the Germans were trying to import heavy water into their country through Norway on a ferry boat; some couragous civilians took it upon themselves to try and stop the water from getting to its destination. They have recently found that although there was indeed heavy water on the boat, it was not nearly enough to create a nuclear weapon of any true danger; in fact, the only nuclear program running at the time in Germany was an experimental one, and they discovered a small setup in a cave in some mountain in Germany that would have made a little bomb, but not anything substantial, and that's where the heavy water was headed. That's my long-winded way of saying that Hitler was not close to posing a threat to the world with nuclear weapons. Fortunately. Our world would be very different today indeed had the Nazis been manufacturing weapons of that magnitude.

Edited by gremlinlord - 11-Dec-2006 at 16:54
 Post Reply Post Reply