Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were Scythians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were Scythians?
    Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 15:45
Originally posted by oghuzkb

Originally posted by prsn41ife

yes, the turkic people and the iranic people are not related for that exact reason.

therefore, all the iranic tribes, such as the scythians, are seperate from the turkic tribes, such as the huns.

Ok,you try to skip something ,before say that they are iranic,please explain this:

Among others, modern Kazakhs (especially the branch known as "Saks") claim descent from the Sakas. The Sakha people of Siberia (see Yakuts) also claim descent from a remnant of the earlier Saka people. Additionally, although the evidence is dated and the technology utilized still in its infancy, DNA analysis conducted at the Novosibirsk Institute of Cytology and Genetics has found Kazakhs and Altai people to be the nearest relatives among competing Mongol-Turkic clans of a Scythian from the Pazyryk burial in Siberia.

Archeological evidence and histographies shows a worldview of Sakas,  closely related to that of present-day Kazakhs and Mongols. It is theorized that they believed Man was a part of the Universe, Cosmos, Heaven, Sun, mountains, river, in total nature, and shows close affinities with Shamanism and Tengriism which are still practiced today, from Kazakhstan to Siberia which conceive of God as related to Cosmic laws and forces.  Siberian shamanism is not known to be directly connected to Indo-European religion.

I hope you will understand what is nearst relatives.

yes, by your logic, i can say that they are also iranic poeple, because they are close to the scythians?

maybe they were iranic peoples, hence the relation.  once i get home, i guess i will have to bombard you with evidence, again.

just go back into the other scythian thread man, its not that hard, all the evidence is posted there, but i will post more later.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 16:06

http://www.silk-road.com/artl/scythian.shtml

Language
Scythians are illiterate, there is no written record left. However few Scythian words survived by Herodotus. According to him, 'pata' meant 'to kill'; 'spou' meant 'eye', 'arima' meant 'one', 'oior' meant 'man'. From these words, the phiologists are able to define Scythian dialecte as a prehistoric Indo-European language.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9066426?query=scythians &ct=

member of a nomadic people originally  of Iranian stock who migrated from Central Asia to southern Russia in the 8th and 7th centuries Bc  .

http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9377779?query=scythian s&ct=

Any member of a people originally of Iranian stock who migrated from Central Asia to the Ural Mountains in the 6th4th centuries BC and settled in southern European Russia and the eastern Balkans.

Closely related to the Scythians,

http://columbia.thefreedictionary.com/Scythians

Scythians flourished from the 8th to the 4th cent. B.C. They spoke an Indo-Iranian language but had no system of writing. They were nomadic conquerors and skilled horsemen. They seem to be related to the Saka, another nomadic tribe that roamed the steppes of central Asia at about the same time.

From the Bible:

http://www.bible-history.com/isbe/S/SCYTHIANS/

SCYTHIANS

sith'-i-anz (hoi Skuthai): The word does not occur in the Hebrew of the Old Testament, but Septuagint of Jdg 1:27 inserts (Skuthon polis (Scythopolis), in explanation, as being the same as Beth-shean. The same occurs in Apocrypha (Judith 3:10; 1 Macc 12:29), and the Scythians as a people in 2 Macc 4:47, and the adjective in 3 Macc 7:5. The people are also mentioned in the New Testament (Col 3:11), where, as in Maccabees, the fact that they were barbarians is implied. This is clearly set forth in classical writers, and the description of them given by Herodotus in book iv of his history represents a race of savages, inhabiting a region of rather indefinite boundaries, north of the Black and Caspian seas and the Caucasus Mountains. They were nomads who neither plowed nor sowed (iv.19), moving about in wagons and carrying their dwellings with them (ibid. 46); they had the most filthy habits and never washed in water (ibid. 75); they drank the blood of the first enemy killed in battle, and made napkins of the scalps and drinking bowls of the skulls of the slain (ibid. 64-65). Their deities were many of them identified with those of the Greeks, but the most characteristic rite was the worship of the naked sword (ibid. 62), and they sacrificed every hundredth man taken in war to this deity. War was their chief business, and they were a terrible scourge to the nations of Western Asia. They broke through the barrier of the Caucasus in 632 BC and swept down like a swarm of locusts upon Media and Assyria, turning the fruitful fields into a desert; pushing across Mesopotamia, they ravaged Syria and were about to invade Egypt when Psammitichus I, who was besieging Ashdod, bought them off by rich gifts, but they remained in Western Asia for 28 years, according to Herodotus. It is supposed that a company of them settled in Beth-shean, and from this circumstance it received the name Scythopolis. Various branches of the race appeared at different times, among the most noted of which were the PARTHIANS (which see).
H. Porter

more later...

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 16:21
Originally posted by oghuzkb

Another base, according to folklore and historical documents,Sakas king Alip er tunga fought with persians around Amu river and  present Turkmenistan.He died one of the war and his sister(some says his niece) named Tumaris continued to fight and also died in a battle.Nowadays these two name represent braverty in turkish.you will find the names Alpatta( abbrevated form of Alip ertunga) and Tumaris very common among uighur turkis. This is another evidence additional to other facts I have posted prior pages.
The legend "Alp er Tunga" is first written by Korkut dede, ca 10-11th century in his book called "kutatgu bilig".
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 17:22

http://www.historychannel.com/thcsearch/thc_resourcedetail.d o?encyc_id=221868

Their speech was a form of Iranian, one of the branches of the Indo-European languages.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Scythians

Scythian

One entry found for Scythian. < name=entry =/cgi-bin/dictionary method=post>

< = value=Scythian name=hdwd = value=Scythians name=listword = value=Dictionary name=book>
Main Entry: Scythian opWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?scythi01.wav=Scythian')">
Pronunciation: 'si-thE-&n, -[th]E-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin Scytha, from Greek SkythEs
1 : a member of an ancient nomadic people inhabiting Scythia
2 : the Iranian language of the Scythians

http://au.encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761575567/Indo-Irania n_Languages.html

Indo-Iranian Languages, group of related languages spoken by more than 500 million people in a region extending from eastern Turkey to Bangladesh and including most of India. The Indo-Iranian languages form the largest subfamily (296 languages) of the Indo-European languages.

The Indo-Iranian languages are generally divided into an Iranian branch; an Indic, or Indo-Aryan, branch; and an Unclassified group of two languages. Major Iranian languages include ancient Avestan and Old Persian, various medieval languages, modern Persian, Pashto or Afghan, Kurdish languages, and Baluchi languages. They are spoken by more than 60 million people. Also of Iranian stock are the languages of the ancient Scythians and Sarmatians and a modern remnant, Ossetic, or Osetin (see Ossetians), spoken in the Caucasus. The Indo-Aryan branch, consisting of 210 languages spoken by some 500 million people in the northern and central parts of the Indian subcontinent, includes the ancient Sanskrit language; Indian medieval languages that developed from Sanskrit called Prakrits (including Pali); and modern languages such as Hindi, Urdu, Bangla, Gujarati, and other Indian languages, Nepali (official in Nepal and Sikkim), and Sinhalese (official in Sri Lanka). Considered to be an Indo-Aryan sub-group are the Dardic languages, which include Kashmiri and Shina.

that is three reputable and famous encyclopedia sources + other sources.

can you beat that? or are you just going to say that all those encyclopedia's and historians are wrong?

Edited by prsn41ife
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 21:58

Well, their language might be Iranic,  still we need more basic proofs from archeological researches, rather than just refering to some ancient historians who lived thousands of miles away from them in the past.

Now the question is where they have gone? which present day enthic group mainly composes the remnants and continued their culture? This people surely have the right to claim Sychians are their ancesters.

If language is the main concern for you, then please be humble to admit that Azeris are Turkic.

Edited by barbar
Either make a history or become a history.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 22:01

no, you are 100% right, language alone cannot prove anything.

just how azari's were turkified, it is possible that scythians were iranified.

but there is no proof of iranificatoin. the scythians had no writing system, no country to conquer, nothing that someone could change.  there is no way that the scythians could have been iranified. 

and by the way, herodotus wasnt thousands of miles away from them. the scytians did inhabit easter europe and asia minor.

also, i did some research on scythian symbols, the crscent and the star does not seem to be included in them, and we all know that the turkic tribes of the steppe used that symbol as part of their religion. so if the scythians were turkic, we would assume that they would also have used that symbol, but that is not the case.

all the iranic tribes that came out of central asia and the steppe region had one thing in common, to my knowledge, known of them used to crescent and the star as religous symbols. the same goes with the scythians.

i could be wrong, because i just did some quick research, i'll leave it for you to decided whether you believe me or not, if not, then do your own research.

so lets discuss teh origion of scythians from another angle. if they werent iranic, then what were they, and with what evidence?

Edited by prsn41ife
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 07:43
Crescent and star is not historically symbolic of Turks anyway, it was used in the times of Sumerians through Byzantines and Sassanids to Turks. Only in modern times has it become a nationalist symbol of Islam and Turks.

Edited by Zagros
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 07:53

IPB Image

an Scythian crown with shamanistic motifs.
Later i'll post yakutsk/sakha crowns.
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 08:05

Originally posted by Zagros

Crescent and star is not historically symbolic of Turks anyway, it was used in the times of Sumerians through Byzantines and Sassanids to Turks. Only in modern times has it become a nationalist symbol of Islam and Turks.

any source zagros

Edited by merced12
http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 11:27

http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/sassanids/sassanid_kings.html

here are Sassanid Kings, look at latter coins, all have the crescent and star.  This was easiest for me to find, but I know it has been used by sumerians etc, as there have been threads on this subject before.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 12:09

yes zagros, i know that the crescent and the star are not only turkic, but if the scythians were turkic, then they most definetly would have also used that symbol.

but they dont.

@DayI, yes the scythians had a mystical pagan religion just as most nomads of the time had.  but it was not the same religion, the practices were different, that is why the crescent and the star symbol isnt common amongst scythian symbols, if at all.

and can we say that iranians, turks, and arabs are the same because they all practice islam? no.

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 12:17

Things which Turks claim Turkish but are actually Iranian:

1) Mevlana (A citizen of a Turkish empire of Iranian origin.)
2) Carpet (Invented by Iranians, but the technique was mainly developed by Turko-Iranian co-operation)
3) Sakas, mainly the Scythians who are the western Sakas. (IN reality Some Sakas are Turkish, some are Iranian.)
4) Soghdians (definetely 100% Iranian)

Things which Iranians claim Iranian but are actually Turkish:

1) Azeris (Yes some are converted and assimilated Iranians, but this will not make them Iranian at all.)
2) Safavids (Pure 100% Turkish, even against Ottomans, they used the propoganda, Turks against the ROmans. Safavids formed their army from Turkomans of Khurasan.)
3) Afsarids (Pure Turkish again.)
4) Qajars (Turkish)

this is my point

16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by Zagros

http://www.livius.org/sao-sd/sassanids/sassanid_kings.html

here are Sassanid Kings, look at latter coins, all have the crescent and star.  This was easiest for me to find, but I know it has been used by sumerians etc, as there have been threads on this subject before.

thanks zagros

16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 12:22
Originally posted by merced12

2) Carpet (Invented by Iranians, but the technique was mainly developed by Turko-Iranian co-operation)
3) Sakas, mainly the Scythians who are the western Sakas. (IN reality Some Sakas are Turkish, some are Iranian.)

actually, rumi fled the mongol invasion in the east and went to a town in the west of persia, which is now part of turkey, but at the time was still part of persia.

1) Azeris (Yes some are converted and assimilated Iranians, but this will not make them Iranian at all.)
2) Safavids (Pure 100% Turkish, even against Ottomans, they used the propoganda, Turks against the ROmans. Safavids formed their army from Turkomans of Khurasan.)
4) Qajars (Turkish)

this is my point

no one claims the safavids, qajars, azari's, etc...

they are turkic definetly. but the point is that they were an iranic people (or someone else), who were turkified and are now turkic, and will probably remain turkic.  therefore, safavids qajars and azari's are turk.

you are confused about the difference between "claiming" and "wanting to know about origions".

and we iranians dont have to claim the qajars and the safavids, because they themselves did the job for us, they considered themselves as part of Iran, and just another dynasty in the many dynasties that ruled Iran.

Edited by prsn41ife
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 14:26
Rumi was invited by Seljuq Sultan to Konya.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 17:10

more sources (i did some research):

"They were a mounted nomadic herdsmen, of the Indo-European language family."

P. 240 New Standard Encyclopedia (S-SLU)

In regards to the Scythians:

"2. Their extinct Iranian Language."

P.1283 Websters New World Dictionary (Library and office edition)

"They spoke an Indo-Iranian language but had no system of writing."

P.2550 The Columbia Encyclopedia Sixth Edition

oslonor View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oslonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:41

4) Qajars (Turkish)

this is my point

I completely agree with you. You are %100 correct. Azeris and others you mention are Turks and were Turks and never lost their language and had nothing to do with Iranians as some people here try to claim. Celebrating Nowrus and speaking Persian does not turn an Azeri Turk into Iranian either.

Edited by oslonor
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:44

stop trolling you pan iranist.

i have talked to turkish forumers about you before oslonor. you are a racist anti turk supramacist pan iranist. stop trolling.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 23:41
oslonor again. 
Anfører
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 12:54

Something new:

While we find huge number of stone mans that made by Saks(scynthian) only in north part of Tengri mountains(Tien shan),and archeologic facts found in Ili vally as below:

source

Bronze figure of Saka period unearthed in Tukkuztara(Gongliu) county

Gold mask unearthed at Boma ancient cemetery, Mongolkure(Zhaosu) county

Open-work bronze plate on stand with human figures and sheep, Saka period, unearthed in Narat, Kunes(Xinyuan) county

Qiute interestingly there are also lot of names of places related to Saks in south part of Tengri mountains,e.g. villages name such as Tukkuzak(old times as Tukkuzsak)---means nine sak ,Oghuzsak---oghuz sak.These are very old villages close to Kashgar city in East Turkistan.And the people there claim that their ancestors called Sak.

Edited by oghuzkb
ALLAH gave us two books---Quran and Nature.        ---Jamaliddin Efghany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>