Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An introduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sisygambis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sisygambis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An introduction
    Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 15:59
Hello there.

I have joined this forum purely to broaden my knowledge of the Persian/Iranian Empire.  I have always been interested in ancient history, and I will confess here and now that my area of greatest knowledge lies in the Roman era - late Republic/early Principate.  But I have always been fascinated by the Persian empire, from Cyrus right the way through to Darius III.  I have no deep knowledge of the period but am willing to learn.  There is something almost magical about this period and culture for me.  If I am being hopelessly romantic, please feel free to say so, but I would hope that you would help me gain a greater knowledge of the ancient Persians, to at least equal my knowledge of the Romans and even beyond. 

Another thing I wish to do is to learn about the Persians from their own perspective.  For instance, Iknow very well that to call Cyrus 'Cyrus' is wrong, as this is a Hellenized form of his name.  I would be grateful if everyone on the Forum could educate me as to the correct terms/names etc.  As a keen amateur historian myself, I do insist on using the right names/terms.

I have chosen as my user name the title of a great Queen, the mother of Darius III.  To start me off on my journey, perhaps a kind person would tell me how the ancient Persians themselves would have rendered her name.

I look forward to posting with you all.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 05:23
Welcome to the forum, the Persian name of Cyrus is "Kuru" which simply means "Son" but I don't know about "Sisygambis", it is said it relates to "Kam" (Fortune) / "Kamyab" (Fortunate).
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2006 at 06:10
Weclome to the forum, despite what you might sometimes come across here, there IS ample educational threads on the subject of your interest.  Unfortunately though, I doubt that your knowledge of the ancient Iranian empires will ever be as complete as your knowledge of Rome, simply because there are not nearly as many first hand sources, relatively speaking. 

Anyway, welcome again.
 Post Reply Post Reply