Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prove your god's existence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prove your god's existence.
    Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

If God was really omnipotent he could give us both free will and the ability to think, disagre, debate and challenge each other's views.

So you are trying to say that we don't have the ability to think, disagree, debate and challenge each other's views? If I'm not mistaken, you are thinking, disagreeing, debating and challenging the views of many people by being on this forum, especially in this thread...
Free will. If a parent raises their child from a Christian Perspective or Islamic, Hinu.etc, they are influencing the child's decision. They are not neccesarily restricting free will. Also, God has given us free will. We can choose whether or not to pursue a religious upbringing in adult life, and it was not God's restriction on the child - it was the parent - who influenced rather than restricted.
To conclude, People restrict the free will of other people (the free will which God has granted humans) in some cases, while people influence the decisions of people in the other cases.

Regards,
- Knights -
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 19:27
Vulkan
Whether its fascinating and beautiful its a matter of personal preconception and opinion. The painful truth however is that all life is here to cruelly consume other life in order to survive. You simply can't ignore something so visible that makes all living struggle and suffering. All organisms beings including us humans basically struggle and create ideas to escape that inglorious end. Its the most powerful instinct that influences human societies and behaviour, far more so than sex or other desires.

I stated that this is my perspective and that's the beauty of it, we can all have one.

Your perspective on life is an opinion, its not a "painfull truth", to you it may be the truth but it does not make it a universal truth like for example if you jump your going to fall on the flaw due to God's law's like gravity.

Who else "creates" ideas and uses them in a functional way in order to aquire knowledge, build, create etc etc?

Having this very debate about other living organisms is perplexing in itself, as were the only life form on Earth able to do so.

We take things like this for granted, just because it's available to us all why does it make it any less special? why must something be "rare" in order for it to be of any significance?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 19:30
Originally posted by Knights

So you are trying to say that we don't have the ability to think, disagree, debate and challenge each other's views? If I'm not mistaken, you are thinking, disagreeing, debating and challenging the views of many people by being on this forum, especially in this thread...

No, I didn't say that. Of course we have the ability to think, disagree, debat and challenge. The point is that it is insufficient a solution for the omnipotence/omnibenevolence problem.

The Christian god is supposedly omnipotent and omnibenvolent. He is able to do everything, and does nothing but good. I'm saying that his is not possible because:
1.) a lot of bad things happen/humans do evil
2.) there are many people who aren't Christian.
Now, if there really exists an omnipotent and omnibenevolent God, he wouldn't have made humans capable of doing evil, and he would made every human believe in him. You try to rebut this by saying God has gave us free will, but that is an imperfect solution. If God is really omnipotent, he could have given us both free will and incapable of doing evil/believe in him. Of course one could argue that it isn't possible to have both things together, because they exclude each other, but that would mean God is not omnipotent.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 21:31
Mixcoatl, I believe you are mistaken on God's nature.

God does not control our actions, he merely guides them. Being Omniscient he knows what our choices will be and "prepares" accordingly.

Why does God allow evil to exist? He only permits evil to exist in this world. In the afterlife (the only aspect of life that christians should be concerned with) there is no evil, in fact it's even deeper than that in the afterlife we are all incapable of error, and thus perfectly good.

If God is really omnipotent, he could have given us both free will and incapable of doing evil/believe in him. Of course one could argue that it isn't possible to have both things together, because they exclude each other, but that would mean God is not omnipotent.

Just because God is omnipotent doesn't mean that his creations have to be. The angels have free will and are incapable of doing evil by their very nature. So God has chosen to exercise the ability, however, he chose to create man how we exist for reasons we don't fully know. Because of his omniscience, he created us so that we would be able to survive through our period as beasts. This required us to exhibit traits in society that would lead to evil acts. God knew this would happen and thus gave us a method to redeem ourselves, so that we could be perfectly good, even if we committed evil acts in life.

What does this have to do with God's omnipotence? There are people who will deny anything, it's human nature to not accept everything at face value. If we did we'd make terrible merchants. However God is all-merciful and understands that he made us a certain way. One of the things that had to be done was to allow his religion to evolve into a united church. Do I believe that all the world will one day be christian. Sure, maybe it won't be called that, but sometime in the future all men will worship the true Godhead.*

*Sorry if that last sentence is a bit schizofrenic I was thinking on how to best respond.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 21:59
Originally posted by JanusRook

Mixcoatl, I believe you are mistaken on God's nature. God does not control our actions, he merely guides them. Being Omniscient he knows what our choices will be and "prepares" accordingly. Why does God allow evil to exist? He only permits evil to exist in this world. In the afterlife (the only aspect of life that christians should be concerned with) there is no evil, in fact it's even deeper than that in the afterlife we are all incapable of error, and thus perfectly good. 

Mixcoatl, don't bother with that part.  JR doesn't believe half the stuff he throws at you.

Originally posted by omshanti

JanusRook, Are you arguing just for the sake of argument? From the way you write I assume you to be a teenager.

Partly correct on one count, fully correct on another.

Edited by Hellios - 11-Jan-2007 at 01:20
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 22:27
haha I remember that Hellios - History of Animals LOL

The Christian god is supposedly omnipotent and omnibenvolent. He is able to do everything, and does nothing but good. I'm saying that his is not possible because:

The second thing you mentioned, 'humans do evil' - this is exactly what I am trying to say. It is humans -through our very nature- that we 'do evil'. It is humans, not God doing this 'evil'. The first thing, 'a lot of bad things happen' - of course they do. This is caused by the second thing you said, remember, 'Humans do evil'. You probably want me to explain why Natural disasters occur. Many are brought upon humans by themselves, due to are selfishness regarding the environment. Many are just definitions of their very names - natural disasters.

Good, let them be. I have no problem with that, if that is their 'belief' and choice so be it. Their choice is only possible through the free will God has given us.

Now, if there really exists an omnipotent and omnibenevolent God, he wouldn't have made humans capable of doing evil, and he would made every human believe in him. You try to rebut this by saying God has gave us free will, but that is an imperfect solution.

Why not? What is the point of creating a series of robots to worship you? I mean some 'humans' might get satisfaction out of it, but it's not true devotion and belief in you - the creator. God wanted us to make our own decisions and choices so as not to make us mere robots to him and his glory.

If God is really omnipotent, he could have given us both free will and incapable of doing evil/believe in him. Of course one could argue that it isn't possible to have both things together, because they exclude each other, but that would mean God is not omnipotent.

If he makes us incapable of doing evil and only able to believe in him, that is not free-will. So he could not 'have given us both free will and uncapability to do evil and belief in Him'. Also, you can do evil and believe in God - sin. Do you think that anyone is without evil? No one is, yet there are still people that believe in a God.

- Knights -
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 00:30
Originally posted by Bulldog

Your perspective on life is an opinion, its not a "painfull truth", to you it may be the truth but it does not make it a universal truth like for example if you jump your going to fall on the flaw due to God's law's like gravity.

Who else "creates" ideas and uses them in a functional way in order to aquire knowledge, build, create etc etc?

Having this very debate about other living organisms is perplexing in itself, as were the only life form on Earth able to do so.

We take things like this for granted, just because it's available to us all why does it make it any less special? why must something be "rare" in order for it to be of any significance?

Truth is how I see it in the simplest of terms. Im sure any biologist would agree with me that the primary motivation of life is struggle for survival.

As far the the second statement, I meant only humans create far ranging ideas such as nations, invetions, religions etc. Remember before a religion becomes accepted it starts as a cult and many of these cults have been initially repressed at first.

Note however that there are animals which you could consider creative. For example a community of orca whales are known to develop a "language" if it could be called so through sounds they develop to socialize with. Other animals such as monkeys are proven to be dreaming in pictures. Im sure there are other less known examples out there how animals could also be creative in their own ways.

Im not sure I understand your last two questions in detail. Im not saying we should take anything for granted - we should make very good use of every precious minute we have left in this vale.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 01:04

That's dodging the evidence. Every religion and non-religion can say that: "God does not exist, and that truth is there for those who wish to see it."

Firstly could you kindly point me to the "evidence" I am supposedly dodging? Yes the truth is there for those who wish to see it, contrary to popular belief most (not all) athiests are athiests because they wish to be, because the concept of no God and therefore no right or wrong (as without an objective standard, all is but a matter of opinion) as they wish to avoid accountability for thier actions. Also with no god humans, have no-one bigger and better than them which boosts there ego's immensly.

That's insufficient. If God was really omnipotent he could give us both free will and the ability to think, disagre, debate and challenge each other's views.

Besides, you can't deny that most people who are religious are so because their parents have raised them like that. Has very little to do with free will.

As Knights has already said Parents often have a strong INFLUENCE on thier children's faith, I't doesn't mean they never have a choice. Besides one could also argue that most people who are evolutionists are so because thier teachers have taught them like that.

Originally posted by vulkan02

Whether its fascinating and beautiful its a matter of personal preconception and opinion.

How can you explain the very concept of beaty then?

The painful truth however is that all life is here to cruelly consume other life in order to survive. You simply can't ignore something so visible that makes all living struggle and suffering..

firstly where is the proof that this is the painful truth? and if true why is it so "painful" to us? Secondly if I understand you correctly the meaning of life is to consume other life in order to keep living!? that kind of "reasoning" goes round in circles. Futhermore despite your insistence that this is all there is you repeatedly use words like "cruelly", "painful" and "suffering" according to your view no-one should care about the suffering of others and there is no such thing as cruelty.

All organisms beings including us humans basically struggle and create ideas to escape that inglorious end. Its the most powerful instinct that influences human societies and behaviour, far more so than sex or other desires.

I'm sorry did you just mention glory....were did we get this concept? Finally if what you say is the truth then why did we "evolve" an illogical "instinct" to deny the truth, seems to serve no purpose towards continued survival.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 01:35

Mixcoatl, don't bother with that part.  JR doesn't believe half the stuff he throws at you.

I actually believe that stuff though.

Im sure any biologist would agree with me that the primary motivation of life is struggle for survival.

I don't know I'd say the primary motivation is reproduction, although survival does help with that.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 06:11
Vulkan
Truth is how I see it in the simplest of terms. Im sure any biologist would agree with me that the primary motivation of life is struggle for survival.

A biologist may today but won't tomorrow as Science is not a belief and is not fixed.

Vulkan
As far the the second statement, I meant only humans create far ranging ideas such as nations, invetions, religions etc. Remember before a religion becomes accepted it starts as a cult and many of these cults have been initially repressed at first.

Your making an over-generalisation. There is not a set path or certain "way" everything is done that everything conforms to when it comes to humanity. Not all religions started as a cult, not all cults are religions but one thing is for certain, religion has been in existance since human's have. We;ve always known about the "creating power" and always had faith regarding this matter.

Vulkan
Note however that there are animals which you could consider creative.

If you really want you could call white black and claim all the colours are just figments of our perception due to tricks of the light.

It all depends on how you "look" at things.

What I meant for my last two questions was, today we like to take this amazing gift we have for granted, there is this perception that what is "rare" is special and to be admired and awed at. This ideal that only "some" people can have while others "can't". However, the whole purpose of God is equality in that all humans were given this gift, as a result of this in today's understanding of the world commongly this isn't regarded as being anything special.

These miraculous matter's such as being able to think, talk, write, interact, build, create, philophosize, get up in the morning, sleep, breathe etc etc just because were all able to do these they arn't considered amazing or spectacular. However, if only a tiny minority like 1-2% of human's could do it we'd find it most unbelievable.

From my perception all these things we can do, the world, the universe are proof of God's existance, I don't like to take it for granted or join the flock of sheep who think just because we can all do it it's any less special.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 07:45
Originally posted by Knights

The second thing you mentioned, 'humans do evil' - this is exactly what I am trying to say. It is humans -through our very nature- that we 'do evil'. It is humans, not God doing this 'evil'. The first thing, 'a lot of bad things happen' - of course they do. This is caused by the second thing you said, remember, 'Humans do evil'. You probably want me to explain why Natural disasters occur. Many are brought upon humans by themselves, due to are selfishness regarding the environment. Many are just definitions of their very names - natural disasters.

Still, God created humans capable of doing evil. So he created us knowing we would infict harm upon each other. That doesn't sound benevolent to me.

Now, if there really exists an omnipotent and omnibenevolent God, he wouldn't have made humans capable of doing evil, and he would made every human believe in him. You try to rebut this by saying God has gave us free will, but that is an imperfect solution.

Why not? What is the point of creating a series of robots to worship you? I mean some 'humans' might get satisfaction out of it, but it's not true devotion and belief in you - the creator. God wanted us to make our own decisions and choices so as not to make us mere robots to him and his glory.

God could has made us both believe in him and not robots. After all he's omnipotent.

If he makes us incapable of doing evil and only able to believe in him, that is not free-will. So he could not 'have given us both free will and uncapability to do evil and belief in Him'.

If he can't do that he's not omnipotent.

That's dodging the evidence. Every religion and non-religion can say that: "God does not exist, and that truth is there for those who wish to see it."

Firstly could you kindly point me to the "evidence" I am supposedly dodging? Yes the truth is there for those who wish to see it, contrary to popular belief most (not all) athiests are athiests because they wish to be, because the concept of no God and therefore no right or wrong (as without an objective standard, all is but a matter of opinion) as they wish to avoid accountability for thier actions. Also with no god humans, have no-one bigger and better than them which boosts there ego's immensly.

Perhaps evidence was not the right word here, but the point remains that everybody can say that "the truth is there for those who wish to see it." It proves absolutely nothing.

And I have to say you have a wrong view of atheists. Being atheist doesn't mean ethics mean anything. There are lots of secular ethic systems one can adhere to (deontology, utilitarianism, etc.). It's better to adhere to a well-argued secular system than adhere to a religous one without questioning it. I don't see why an ethic system based on religion would be better. After all, in order to call God 'good', you should already have a conception of good and bad that precedes God.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 09:10

I don't know I'd say the primary motivation is reproduction, although survival does help with that.

Which is sort of a means to escape death by passing on part of yourself  to a new inborn.

Praetor I believe my previous post is clear enough in expressing my opinion. There is no need to play with the meaning of certain fatalistic terms I used to prove your point so Im not going to answer back except for one.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A group of Hyenas tearing up the corpse of one of their own deceased  so they can survive may be beautiful to someone but to me is utterly disgusting. Same goes for human cannibalism. LOL

Bulldog said: A biologist may today but won't tomorrow as Science is not a belief and is not fixed.

Still regardless of our accumulation of knowledge life was and will remain the same for a long long time.

Bulldog said: We've always known about the "creating power" and always had faith regarding this matter.

How do you know that?
Even if we did we could have just created this belief ourselves for not being able to come up with the answers to arising questions.

Bulldog said: What I meant for my last two questions was, today we like to take this amazing gift we have for granted, there is this perception that what is "rare" is special and to be admired and awed at. This ideal that only "some" people can have while others "can't". However, the whole purpose of God is equality in that all humans were given this gift, as a result of this in today's understanding of the world commongly this isn't regarded as being anything special.

These miraculous matter's such as being able to think, talk, write, interact, build, create, philophosize, get up in the morning, sleep, breathe etc etc just because were all able to do these they arn't considered amazing or spectacular. However, if only a tiny minority like 1-2% of human's could do it we'd find it most unbelievable.

I understand that we shouldn't take anything for granted but the reality is that most of us with varying degrees can do these "miraculous matters" one way or another. Some are better artists, some better mathematicians, some better lovers but we all can do these great things so whether someone thinks its special it all depends on their perceptions.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 11:29

Perhaps evidence was not the right word here, but the point remains that everybody can say that "the truth is there for those who wish to see it." It proves absolutely nothing.

And I have to say you have a wrong view of atheists. Being atheist doesn't mean ethics mean anything. There are lots of secular ethic systems one can adhere to (deontology, utilitarianism, etc.). It's better to adhere to a well-argued secular system than adhere to a religous one without questioning it. I don't see why an ethic system based on religion would be better. After all, in order to call God 'good', you should already have a conception of good and bad that precedes God.

We humans have a choice: to acknowledge the creator or ignore, or actively deny, his existence. Many Athiests are swayed by what they see as the evidence, however very few question it (and its many logical flaws).They are, however,  far more critical of the beliefs of those who believe in a god. However, the common follower's bias may be subconcious, many of the 'leaders' are conciously aware of their bias and hypocrisy. Prominent Darwinist, Richard Lewontin, of the Harvard University said the following:

Originally posted by Richard Lewontin

Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance in the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our prior adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counterintuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover that materialism is absolute for we cannot allow a divine foot in the door.

Firstly I consider it necessary to point out the differences between secular and atheist.

Originally posted by Dictionary

Atheism
  1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
  2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Secular
  1. of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secular interests.
  2. not pertaining to or connected with religion (opposed to sacred): secular music.

Religion
Any specific system of belief, worship, or conduct that prescribes certain responses to the existence (or non-existence) and character of God.

As we have established from these definitions (note doctrine), Atheism is actually a religion, or rather the religious belief underlying several religions, such as Buddhism. Consequently, secular and atheism are not interchangeable terms. There is no way to determine concrete right and wrong without a divine being, otherwise it is relative.If man is the highest being, he determines what is right and wrong. Nothing needs to be justified beyond the desire of the individual. Atheism removes this divine objectivity, and consequently endorses any code of morality an individual may adopt. According to atheist doctrine, the holocaust was simply a difference of opinion. You say to call God good, good must exist before God. This is not true if God exists as, and therefore defines, the concept of good.

Vulkan02, it is not the definition of beauty, but rather the very concept which concerns us.

Edited by Praetor - 11-Jan-2007 at 11:30
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 19:13
Originally posted by Praetor

As we have established from these definitions (note doctrine), Atheism is actually a religion, or rather the religious belief underlying several religions, such as Buddhism. Consequently, secular and atheism are not interchangeable terms. There is no way to determine concrete right and wrong without a divine being, otherwise it is relative.If man is the highest being, he determines what is right and wrong. Nothing needs to be justified beyond the desire of the individual. Atheism removes this divine objectivity, and consequently endorses any code of morality an individual may adopt. According to atheist doctrine, the holocaust was simply a difference of opinion. You say to call God good, good must exist before God. This is not true if God exists as, and therefore defines, the concept of good.

All right, first of all, you are actually correct on there being a difference between atheist and secularist (which I have pointed out in other threads). I can here argue that there are many theistic secularists here in America that are strong Christians, but they do believe in a government worrying about wordly things rather than the unkown.

However, you are completely wrong on there being no morality in atheism. Sure, there is no moral code in atheism, but that does not at all mean an atheist cannot be moral. Morality is not confined to a belief higher being. Humans have always had some moral code, some concept of right and wrong, dating back before its first religion, animism. Theism acts as if it has some sort of monopoly on morality and moral codes because it has a moral code (which though good at times, can be very scary at times also), but this is just not true. An atheist or an agnostic can believe in what is known as the natural laws, or, to put it simply, to be good to your fellow man. Though there are some immoral atheists and agnostics, the vast majority are moral. Without a higher being, any human being can believe in morality. I one quote sums it up best "A Christian does good because he fears God; an atheist does good for the sake of doing good." If we look at it this way, the atheist in a way is more moral than the Christian, because he or she does moral acts because they are good, not for some perceived reward after death, or safety from eternal damnation. It does not take a belief in a higher being to have morals, rather a belief in right and wrong. The concepts of right and wrong are not confined by religion, however, they are used by religion to advance its agenda that non-believers are immoral. By making its opponents look immoral, it makes itself look as the moral choice, and thus, retains its popularity. Just as what is has done with the very word atheism (which, in its broadest sense, it just not a belief in higher powers, which includes agnostics like myself) and expanded the dogmatic form of atheism (there is no creator because there cannot be a creator) to mean all of atheism. Hence, Christianity looks like the more logical choice. As shown here, religion has taken something that is true (moral codes) and tried to own it exclusively (if you are not religious, you cannot be moral).

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 19:28
Vulkan
How do you know that?
Where there are humans, there is a belief in "God" the creating power, this is shared across humanity.

Vulkan
I understand that we shouldn't take anything for granted but the reality is that most of us with varying degrees can do these "miraculous matters" one way or another.

And that's my whole point, just because we can "all" do it why does it take away its significance and importance. Just because we've all been gifted this why do we look down upon it and feel it's nothing special, that it means and proves nothing.

So it all depends on your perspective. I guess its just human greed and taking things for granted.

You could take the perspective of feeling what more proof is needed? we can think, talk, create, can wake up every morning open our eyes and its a new day, the laws of nature never fail etc etc etc and we were all blessed with this, not just a couple, not most of us, not half of us but all of us equally.... what more could we want? we don't even use 50% of our brain, we don't even know our full capabilities yet.
Albert Pine

Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by Bulldog

Vulkan
How do you know that?
Where there are humans, there is a belief in "God" the creating power, this is shared across humanity.

But your statement still in no way can be used as an evidence for "God". Myths have been made by every culture to try to explain the unknowable, but they in the end explain nothing. To say that these illogical explanations for a higher power prove that higher power exists is nonsense. Any man who thinks he knows that there was "this creator" or "that creator" at the beginning of the earth is fooling himself. Just as many civilizations have in the past. These civilizations did not know anything, they were simply constructing explanations for the beginning of the earth. Many of these are varied. For example, how does the first beginnings of religion, in the animistic and pagan varieties (which almost every primitive culture had), equate proof for the newer monotheistic religions? They clearly show no proof for a completely different belief system.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 22:46
All myths have a source, all legends have a root, they've just been distorted over time but they;re based upon some event which triggered the initial story and later developed. As they were transmitted orally and not chronicled in written literature naturally there are some differences from the original.

EB
For example, how does the first beginnings of religion, in the animistic and pagan varieties (which almost every primitive culture had), equate proof for the newer monotheistic religions?

The idea that monotheist religions are new is a common fallacy. There have always been monotheisms, for example Hinduism originally was monotheist, ancient Egyptions had monotheism early on, Sumerians and so on.... and further back religous symbols have been found that indicate monotheism. On a few occasions, due to the ideal such as, divine right of Kings and due to a flourishing state and lavish wealth the leader's and powerfull would like to make themselves the source of worship and then create special attributed to themselves resulting in demi-God's.

There has always been the belief in the "creating power", this is common across the world.

Empereor_Barbarossa
 Any man who thinks he knows that there was "this creator" or "that creator" at the beginning of the earth is fooling himself.

That's just your opinion, I could quite as easily say your fooling yourself in not believing but were all entitled to our opinions without being ridiculed, especially regarding something that you cannot proove.

These civilizations did not know anything

Ofcourse they did. Well in a thousand year's time maybe they'll think we knew nothing. The human brain has remained the same since human's were created, we don't even use 50% of it yet.
Albert Pine

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 00:32

Which is sort of a means to escape death by passing on part of yourself  to a new inborn.

Reproduction is not a means to escape death. Most if not all animals have only a vague concept of death, and therefore do not fear it. If anything they fear suffering more than death. Anyway as humans have the same instincts as animals, then our biological urge to reproduce should be based on the same thing. We reproduce because reproduction creates more things that reproduce. That might sound illogical but it is what it is. If a creature for some reason has an instinct to not reproduce and not to aid their relatives in reproducing then that instinct is lost because it has no means of multiplying itself. Sorry I went off topic there guys.

Atheism removes this divine objectivity, and consequently endorses any code of morality an individual may adopt. According to atheist doctrine, the holocaust was simply a difference of opinion. You say to call God good, good must exist before God. This is not true if God exists as, and therefore defines, the concept of good.

No that is satanism, Satanism is a belief that you determine your own code of conduct to follow. Atheism meanwhile is the disbelief in a God, but that does not exclude a belief in a system of moral laws. Like satanism the moral code is tuned to the individuals own preferences, however unlike satanism the atheist usually bases their own moral code on that of the prevailing religious culture ironically. For example many atheists and christians can agree that rape, torture and murder are dispicable acts.
Sorry Barbarossa if I just condensed your words, but I do agree with you on most counts.

They clearly show no proof for a completely different belief system.

This is where I disagree with you though, I believe that our "newer" monotheistic religions are merely extensions of the primitive animistic religions. I mean the Christian God, Jesus Christ is the incarnation of the Jewish God Yahweh, who was also worshiped by ancient Levantine peoples as the God El in a pantheon of major deities. Who was probably worshiped as a sky/earth/water spirit by neolithic peoples of the area. Therefore religion is a continuation of the experiences of the supernatural that have existed since the beginning of humanity.

To say that these illogical explanations for a higher power prove that higher power exists is nonsense.

Yet scientists can use the illogical explanation for say the big bang to prove that exists and is not nonsense. The problem is many atheists turn to an unquestioning scientific power to explain their world without question. Which is just as stupid as a christian who unquestioningly uses God to explain the world. Just because something seems illogical doesn't mean it is, and sometimes religions are very logical once you take into account their preset standard.

The human brain has remained the same since human's were created, we don't even use 50% of it yet.

Ugggh.....of course we use 50% of our brain, heck we use 100% of our brain or close to it. If we didn't evolution would've turned that portion of our brain into mush, I mean the brain is an expensive organ to upkeep and what would be the point of having it if we didn't use it. Granted we don't use all of our brain all the time, just like we don't use all of our muscles all the time, or all of our lung capacity all the time, but we do use all of our brain, sorry to go off topic again, I just hate that 10% statement.

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 03:49
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

However, you are completely wrong on there being no morality in atheism. Sure, there is no moral code in atheism, but that does not at all mean an atheist cannot be moral. Morality is not confined to a belief higher being. Humans have always had some moral code, some concept of right and wrong, dating back before its first religion, animism. Theism acts as if it has some sort of monopoly on morality and moral codes because it has a moral code (which though good at times, can be very scary at times also), but this is just not true. An atheist or an agnostic can believe in what is known as the natural laws, or, to put it simply, to be good to your fellow man. Though there are some immoral atheists and agnostics, the vast majority are moral. Without a higher being, any human being can believe in morality. I one quote sums it up best "A Christian does good because he fears God; an atheist does good for the sake of doing good." If we look at it this way, the atheist in a way is more moral than the Christian, because he or she does moral acts because they are good, not for some perceived reward after death, or safety from eternal damnation. It does not take a belief in a higher being to have morals, rather a belief in right and wrong. The concepts of right and wrong are not confined by religion, however, they are used by religion to advance its agenda that non-believers are immoral. By making its opponents look immoral, it makes itself look as the moral choice, and thus, retains its popularity. Just as what is has done with the very word atheism (which, in its broadest sense, it just not a belief in higher powers, which includes agnostics like myself) and expanded the dogmatic form of atheism (there is no creator because there cannot be a creator) to mean all of atheism. Hence, Christianity looks like the more logical choice. As shown here, religion has taken something that is true (moral codes) and tried to own it exclusively (if you are not religious, you cannot be moral).

No that is satanism, Satanism is a belief that you determine your own code of conduct to follow. Atheism meanwhile is the disbelief in a God, but that does not exclude a belief in a system of moral laws. Like satanism the moral code is tuned to the individuals own preferences, however unlike satanism the atheist usually bases their own moral code on that of the prevailing religious culture ironically. For example many atheists and christians can agree that rape, torture and murder are dispicable acts.

Firstly, Barbarossa, I never once denied an athiest could be 'moral', What I said, is that atheism has no basis for, nor an established moral code. Atheism CANNOT have a set moral code, as it denies the reasoning behind a moral code. An atheist can adopt a belief, but if asked why he could not possibly offer an explanation in line with atheist doctrine, and it would be a set of morals that the individual decided on.

JanusRook, you are basically saying that the difference between Satanists and Atheists is that, though both are fundamentally identical on how morality is established, Atheists are those who adopt a moral code of which you approve, and which leads to positive press.

Barbarossa, I'd like to see your proof that religion developed after morality, and could you possibly explain, from an atheist perspective, why we ever developed religion or possessed a sense of morality? It is also hardly appropriate to lump atheism and agnostic beliefs together.

You also loudly object to the monopoly theism claims on the subject or morality and moral codes. However, in just your second sentence you plainly state that Atheism, which you lump with agnostic beliefs, make no claim to a moral code. Therefore, by your own argument, theism DOES have the monopoly on moral codes you so fervently protest.

You bring up the example of the "natural laws". Where does this come from?  Are these derived from natural selection? The theory which is behind "survival of the fittest"? How does this ruthless, and strictly scientific and amoral theory result in the belief that man kind should be good to each other? For that matter, what exactly does "good" even mean in this context? You produce a very nice quote, but it should go a little more like this:

"A Christian does good because he wishes to emulate God to the best of human ability; an atheist does whatever he or she defines as "good", for their own convenience."

I would further ask that you don't lump all religions together, as they are as different as atheism and agnostic beliefs.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 09:11
"Barbarossa, I'd like to see your proof that religion developed after morality, and could you possibly explain, from an atheist perspective, why we ever developed religion or possessed a sense of morality? It is also hardly appropriate to lump atheism and agnostic beliefs together."

It depends on one's definition of atheism (the broader one, or the dogmatic one). The problem with the difference in the definitions is that one includes agnostics, while the other does not. When I talk of natural laws, I mean, simply, being good to your fellow man. This has nothing to do with religion. Man has always been good to its fellow man ever since its existence.

"You also loudly object to the monopoly theism claims on the subject or morality and moral codes. However, in just your second sentence you plainly state that Atheism, which you lump with agnostic beliefs, make no claim to a moral code. Therefore, by your own argument, theism DOES have the monopoly on moral codes you so fervently protest."
I do not think you understand my point. What i mean is that theism may have a moral code, but a good moral code is not confined to theism. Therefore, a theist can never assume that they have a full monopoly on morals. What I mean is, that you do not have to go to any religious idealogy to have good morals.

"A Christian does good because he wishes to emulate God to the best of human ability; an atheist does whatever he or she defines as "good", for their own convenience."
I agree with the first part of your quote, but the second part is grossly inaccurate with its last part.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>