Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saddam death's sentence: Hang em High

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saddam death's sentence: Hang em High
    Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 21:49
Originally posted by JanusRook

What do you all think of this?

I don't know, it'll be interesting what people around him will disclose about this later on.
Member of IAEA
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 22:50
So who was surprised?

It would've been so funny if he was found innocent LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 23:27
It was a disgrace. The whole thing did not even have the prence of a fair trial. All Saddam is going to be now is a martyre.

Such trails are a bad idea, be they at Nuremberg, or here since they smack of victors justice. Saddam should have gotten a 9 mm to the back of the head when he was captured end of discussion.

Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 00:22

Originally posted by Sparten

Saddam should have gotten a 9 mm to the back of the head when he was captured end of discussion.
This would make him a martyr too. The campaign against Iraq was a bad idea from the begining.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 01:03
It would have been sharp and quick. This was a long facsade.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 02:40
Originally posted by bg_turk

Yes, Saddam was responsible for the genocide of around 200,000 civilian Kurds in Halabja.
You cannot have 200,000 civilian Kurds dead in Halabja. It is a small town (if not a village).
This number is applicable to his Anfal operation and the subsequent operations on Kurds revolt after 1991 Gulf War.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 03:30
chuck him of a very high cliff. I am normally agianst the whole death penatly, but i think that country is so chaotic it would be better to kill him now while we can,  just incase. For the shiite and the kurds
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 06:35
Originally posted by Dampier

But that will only work with someone obvious like Saddam. The trouble with the death sentance is that there is no going back if a mistake is made.

Aside from that I feel that kiling someone should be the ultimate resort, only for hopeless cases. Instead I would suggest psycology and an attmept at reform and community work. States should not sink to the level of criminals.

That said it is a powerful deterrent. After all thats how Saddam controlled Iraq and why the Coalition can't.

Its one of those conondrums of life; will we save more by killing some now? And is that morally right?

There are multiple truths in this thread and i agree with most of them. I also agree that the death penalty should only take place, if in NO doubt. I trust the judiciary to be sane enough to consider the circumstances surrounding a case. But one should NEVER circumvent the law.

No one in their right mind would disagree with the outcome, but in effect what we have witnessed is an extra judicial killing sanctioned by a kangaroo court.

I agree also with Janus, that it is justice to the victims that takes precedence over the punishment of the criminal. It is a common occurrence in countries with corrupt courts or failing judicial system, that a person in the process of exacting revenge for a deceased ends up killing persons other than the culprit .
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 07:05
IMO for a man like Saddam death would be the easy way out. It would be an escape from justice for him. He would see it as a Maryterdom, he is dying for his beliefs. And as such it would only make tensions in the ME even worse.

And how are we any better than him if we kill. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Death penalty is never the answer. Murder cannot be right for one person and wrong for another.

There are punishments so much worse than death. Life in solitary confinment for example or being made to work for others. That would be the ultimate punishment for a man who is used to being in control.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 07:42
i am strongly against death penalty and torturing, even though i am against him in many ways,  i dont think the situation in Iraq is exactly favouring the Democracy government. by overthrown the Saddam government, the NATOs have altered the blance between Sunni and Shi'a 
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 08:31
Originally posted by malizai_

There are multiple truths in this thread and i agree with most of them. I also agree that the death penalty should only take place, if in NO doubt. I trust the judiciary to be sane enough to consider the circumstancessurrounding a case. Butoneshould NEVER circumvent the law.

No one in their right mind would disagree with the outcome, but in effect what we have witnessed is an extra judicial killing sanctioned by a kangaroo court
I agree also with Janus, that it is justice to the victims that takes precedence over the punishment of the criminal. It is a common occurrence in countries with corrupt courts or failing judicial system, that a person in the process of exacting revenge for a deceased ends up killing persons other than the culprit.

OK, I agree with the death penalty in cases of obvious proof. And I would be in favour should reform be found not to work.

I'm with you and Janus over justice not punishment. After all we have Justice not Punishment systems.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 08:41
Isn't it weird the Saddam is sentence to die be4 the American election. I believe Bush has somthing to do w/ that. He wants to win the election, so he kills off a dictator to win the ppl's hearts. I hate that! Bush shoud be hung slowly and painfully. I hate Bush and his regime! I hate him, not the American ppl. I hate leaders, not their ppl. For all I care many world leaders shoud die!

Edited by The Canadian Guy - 06-Nov-2006 at 08:42
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 09:09
I don't think that Saddam is going to be executed, the court is propably going to sentence him for life and in a few months after that he is going to have a heart-attack. Sound's familiar, doesn't it? Wink
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 09:12
Let's hope he will get the heart attack after being pronounced guilty though, not before and die legally as an innocent man. 
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 09:26
Sentence to death was a great mistake.

This trial was done in a dubious court. The whole point of a court is to make both parties feel that a fair decision was reached, and by this prevent further violence. Saddam, as horrible a man as he is, didn't get a fair trial, and this can incite supporters into taking revenge for the injustice committed to him.

The US made a huge blunder when they didn't get him tried in an international court. There is plenty of evidence that the man is guilty, and I fair trial would have found that.

But by trying him in a US kangaroo court, the U.S. committed an injustice towards Saddam that will give an argument to insurgent Sunnis.

Furthermore, killing him through a sentence of a dubious court only turns him into a martyr.

I can already hear people stating that Saddam didn't get a better trial than an African American in the U.S. system.

Or that Saddam's trial had the same sloppy justice found in the U.S. in death sentences cases, only proving how horrible Americans are.

She should have been kept in jail for life with no parole.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 09:32
so far cerfews have been set up all over Iraq for what was believed of waves of attacks in protest of Saddam's execution. So far there has been nothing yet. We will know when we finally see that corpse hanging from the rope

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 06-Nov-2006 at 09:33
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 10:06
I hope that bush is not re-elected. I'd rather see him hanging in the noose. But it should be 3 foot noose, more pain that way. It wasn't a fair trial, and it is Mr. Bush for the blame.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 11:26
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

I hope that bush is not re-elected. I'd rather see him hanging in the noose. But it should be 3 foot noose, more pain that way. It wasn't a fair trial, and it is Mr. Bush for the blame.

he can't be re-elected: the U.S. has term limits.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 11:34
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

I hope that bush is not re-elected. I'd rather see him hanging in the noose. But it should be 3 foot noose, more pain that way. It wasn't a fair trial, and it is Mr. Bush for the blame.

Censored

That just really pisses me off. Say what you want about Mr. Bush, he DOES NOT deserve to die.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 11:38
Indeed, Bush deserve  to go heaven.. But well, He should  die first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>