Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Greece have ottoman traces???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Does Greece have ottoman roots???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [65.33%]
19 [25.33%]
7 [9.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Greece have ottoman traces???
    Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 14:11
Originally posted by Flyingzone

Consider yourself getting an unofficial warning.  The next time you do that again, you will get an official warning.

Oh, it seems that old FZ has forgotten something... I'll end the list:

And the next time you do that again, you will be banned.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 14:59
Originally posted by Bulldog

Ellin said: I was going to mention where were the ovens of these Turkish nomads, for baking baklava, but noticed there weren't any to begin with. But how funny and coincidental that the Turks needed to refine the process and start baking them once in contact with the Greeks who were "baking" baklava for eons earlier.

Bulldog said: It would be better if you actually researched before you write.

Nice way to say you disagree. Wink

Ellin said: Point is, Greeks knew about carpet weaving well before you guys came along.

Bulldog said: You shoot yourself in the foot with your source. Your admitting that Greeks came into contact with Carpet weaving via the Persians.

Turks had Carpet weaving and their own style which they had developed thousands of years ago.

Turkish and Persian Carpet's are known internationally, they have different styles, the Turkish knot and Persian knot, Persian uses more human designs, Turkish uses more Geometric and symbolic designs.

Altay the historic homeland of Turks is home to ancient carpets, woven using the Turkish knot and geometric patterns as they are still done today.

Fragments of the second nap carpet (VI century B.C.) were found on the left bank of the Karakol river (Gorny Altai, Russia) of the second Bashadyr barrow in 1950. After careful examination of these carpets S. Rudenko came to a conclusion that the technique of making these carpets was different. The Pazyryk carpet was weaved on the basis of the Turkic technique of knotting and the Bashadyr carpet was made on the basis of the Persian technique. Thus, S. Rudenko admitted that the Pazaryk carpet was made by ancient Turkic tribes. Moreover, the archaeologist believed that the carpet was made on a horizontal loom. Looking at the design of carpets, one could surely get convinced that the technique of making the Bashadyr carpet is close to the Persian technique and the technique of making the Pazaryk carpet is close to the present Turkmen technique. It should be added that Turkmen women still weave carpets on horizontal looms.

Turkmen philologist A. Bekmuradov believes the Pazyryk carpet resembles the Yomud carpet by its composition (placement of central ornaments and harmony of colours), and 24 central ornaments symbolize the split of Gunns, and later Turkmen-Oguz, into 24 tribes. The same opinion is shared by some other Turkmen historians.

Nejet Diyarbekerli writes that horses with saddle-clothes and tassels on their back pictured on the Pazyryk carpets could be found even nowadays in everyday life of Turkmen tribes living in Anatoly and Yuruk Aimak (small region) in Taur mountains (Anatoly). The same saddle-clothes could be seen in Turkmen-Seljuk miniatures. He also writes "there is no doubt that the Pazyryk carpet with its square division serves as the basic pattern for a general composition of the Oguz carpets.... This design is the basic pattern for the octagon of Seljuk design and ornaments on present Turkmen carpets. That kind of the carpet design could be often seen on Turkmen carpets such as Teke, Afghan Ersary, which still exist."

Turks were weaving carpets in the Altay region thousands of years ago. 

Totally irrelevant to what Ellin said - her comment again: "Point is, Greeks knew about carpet weaving well before you guys came along."

Greeks arn't renownd for their Carpets, were are these Greek carpets, what is the Greek style, history, symbols, designs huh? where are they all.

What a silly comment - Ellin don't bother showing him about Greek fleeces, rugs, carpets, etc. - I really don't blame AE staff for taking action about this member's statements.

About Yoghurt, Galen can thank the Turks its accepted as a Turkic contribution to gastronomy, Yoghurt is a Turkic word. Yoghurt was introduced into Europe by Turkic Nomads migrating into Europe in 2nd century AD.  Galen knew about it after 2nd Century AD  

Yes, let's believe gastronomers when it's convenient for us and call them unqualified historians/scientists when it's not.

Just because people use a Turkish word for something doesn't prove that something's ultimate origin; does every Greek word we use represent something that is of ultimately Greek origin?

Yoghurt is simply produced by bacterial fermentation of milk - it can be made from any milk, including soy milk, and you or any gastronomer cannot prove that it didn't exist outside your scope of thought, in fact...

"There's evidence of cultured milk products being produced as food for at least 4,500 years."

"The origin of fermented foods and cultured milk products goes so far back that it predates recorded history. Most cultured foods start with milk, which people have been drinking since the dawn of time. The first evidence of the domestication of cows occurred in 9,000 BC in Libya, and while there are no written records that prove these ancient people ate yogurt, the probability is high that they consumed cultured milk products of some sort. Indias Ayurvedic writings, dating back to 6,000 BC, indicate that regular consumption of dairy products led to a long and healthy life. In India, the milk of almost every animal, from camels to yaks, continues to be made into cultured foods, including yogurt and cheese, of which there are more than 700 varieties."

For sources just ask.

Ellin said: Ancient Greek cuisine is much like modern Greek food. They ate bread with olive oil, lots of fruits, vegetables and nuts, feta cheese, yogurt and fish.

Bulldog said: They had no knowledge of Yoghurt and White Cheese.

See my comments above.

Everybody can eat fruits and nuts, it doesn't require culinary skill.

I hope the mods do something about this member.

Ellin said: As for doners and kebabs and the like, the Greeks were skewering meat since time immemorial.

Bulldog said: Great for them but if you think Kebabs and Doner is merely skewering meat your again mistaken. There are many type's of Kebab, there are many types of Doner, the preperation, ingrediants, cooking method etc are very important. You can't just cut meat and stick it on a skewer, it would be almost in-edible as the fats and muscle tissues make it to tough. Turkic people had mastered this art due to their nomadic lifestyles in the Steppes were there was an abundance of lifestock.

Ellin, I think Doner Kebab is Turkish.

Don't take it to heart Ellin, give credit were its due hehe, everytime you eat these dishes remember to thank those who introduced it to you.

People should indeed thank you for Turkish contributions, and you should also learn to thank those who introduced certain things to you.

Edited by Hellios - 12-Nov-2006 at 15:07
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by Hellios

Ellin, don't let yourself get dragged into debates about the ultimate origins of some foods or music - it's quite clear our ancestors picked up some nice elements of foreign cultures through the Ottomans, but let them argue with their other neighbors about the ultimate origins of such elements in our food & music. Wink 

I believe that objective, independent historians, who're interested in what's the truth, can focus on the history of the cuisine and music of the Middle East to find some clues to approach the unknown, to see the whole picture clearly. So I agree with you that let historians argue history.

Edited by The Hidden Face - 12-Nov-2006 at 15:29
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 16:32
The intention of this thread's author and Bulldog is not to constructively discuss Greek cultural history; their intention is simply a one-sided attempt to promote their own culture; just look at their posts; they completely ignore anybody who doesn't give them some kind of remote excuse to promote their own culture.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 17:00
I know something about this geographical area and its history. So I'll have this to say. Items up for debate in this thread have been the Baglama, Turkish Coffee, Baklava, Carpets/Rugs, certain types of cheese and yogurt, customs and language among others.  Their Ottoman heritage is discussed. Most cultures in the Mid East, Balkans and Greece share these items. As usual we have diverse ethnic bickering. Attempts at sabotage and critical remarks that lead to hurt feelings. Currently Bulldog is the hot item. Maybe he is a Balkaner, Greek or Turk with Ottoman heritage. I don't know or care. The main thing is for you all to continue this discussion with an attempt at civility.  All of the debated items are shared culturally. No denying that.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:47
Ooooh chill out guys, no need to take it to heart    

The title of this thread was

"Does Greece have Ottoman traces"

I just added a few points for those who happen to be in a case of denial, if you have a problem with the sources criticise them, don't shoot the messenger.

There are contributions Turks have made, Greeks have made, Arabs have made and so on, it seems some people have a problem accepting this reality.

I haven't personally insulted anybody, attacked any nations collectively and havn't violated any forum rules, unlike some are doing towards myself.

Hey, as they say the truth hurts.

Elinn
Sorry to break your b*lls
That's bullsh*t, that yoghurt is a Turkish concoction.

Its funny that this kind of vulgar language is not criticised while stating a basic fact that eating nuts and fruits doesn't require culinary skill is deemed an "insult". Look, if you don't believe me, go to a garden and pick fruit from the Tree's or plants, its easy, jeeez.

Edited by Bulldog - 13-Nov-2006 at 09:32
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 13:07
guys,historical places does not show anything about culture...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 04:41
[QUOTE=Bulldog]Ooooh chill out guys, no need to take it to heart    

The title of this thread was

"Does Greece have Ottoman traces"

I just added a few points for those who happen to be in a case of denial, if you have a problem with the sources criticise them, don't shoot the messenger.

There are contributions Turks have made, Greeks have made, Arabs have made and so on, it seems some people have a problem accepting this reality.

I haven't personally insulted anybody, attacked any nations collectively and havn't violated any forum rules, unlike some are doing towards myself.

Hey, as they say the truth hurts.

Elinn

Its funny that this kind of vulgar language is not criticised while stating a basic fact that eating nuts and fruits doesn't require culinary skill is deemed an "insult". Look, if you don't believe me, go to a garden and pick fruit from the Tree's or plants, its easy, jeeez.

I'll tell you what's bu....it. It's the fact that you essentially deny that a Greko-Roman based civilization existed in Anatolia for a couple thousand years. The Greek was a vibrant element in the communities of western Anatolia untill the '20's. Why does this undermine the "Turkishness" of today's area in your oppinion? Your pseudo-concilliatory attitude is condescending in its tone and is an attempt to quickly "bury" the issue after you think a smart comment is made on your behalf.
No one denies the Ottoman roots of Greece. And arguing about the baklava and the yogurt is silly.  Just get the chip off of your shoulder.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 04:42
Originally posted by EGETRK

guys,historical places does not show anything about culture...

What is that supposed to mean?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 07:32
Konstantinius
I'll tell you what's bu....it.

Don't tell me, I didn't use the term

Konstantinius
It's the fact that you essentially deny that a Greko-Roman based civilization existed in Anatolia for a couple thousand years.

Do I, could you please show where in the thread I mention this or what it has to do with this topic. This is just an attempted diversion of the actual post.

8 AD Romans had conquered most of today's Turkey
116 AD they had conquered all of what is today Turkey

Romans had a thousand year legacy over what is today Turkey.

Also let's not forget the Lydians, Hitite's, Assyrians, Lykians, Phrygians, Galatians, Trojans, Cimmerians, Babylonians, Persians..........

They also had states, had conquered parts and inhabitted parts of what is today Turkey.

The Ionians also had coastal colonies.

The Greek was a vibrant element in the communities of western Anatolia untill the '20's.

And so were the Turks of Greece

Why does this undermine the "Turkishness" of today's area in your oppinion?

It doesn't and I never have stated this, I don't know were you get these paranoid accusations from.

No one denies the Ottoman roots of Greece.

Some do, I was just replying to them.    

Edited by Bulldog - 14-Nov-2006 at 07:33
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 17:02
Well, Bulldog, I guess I misunderstood you. You're only a culinary nationalistWink,my bad. I just failed to see that behind your stout defense of  the Turkishness of  baklava, kadaif, and yaourt lies a mind truly open to all cultural influences and faithful to historical accuracy. Boy, Egeturk has so much to learn from you!

Edited by konstantinius - 15-Nov-2006 at 17:20
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 06:06

Konstantinius
It's the fact that you essentially deny that a Greko-Roman based civilization existed in Anatolia for a couple thousand years.

8 AD Romans had conquered most of today's Turkey
116 AD they had conquered all of what is today Turkey

Romans had a thousand year legacy over what is today Turkey.

Also let's not forget the Lydians, Hitite's, Assyrians, Lykians, Phrygians, Galatians, Trojans, Cimmerians, Babylonians, Persians..........

They also had states, had conquered parts and inhabitted parts of what is today Turkey.

The Ionians also had coastal colonies.

Did u miss the hellinistic era ?
Kingdom of Pergamus, the Seleucids, the Ptolemeys(south) ,the hellinised barbarian kingdoms of inner Anatolia.
the fact that Greek language replaced all local languages,and was the only spoken in Anatolian peninsula when turcic tribes arrived.
1000 years of Byzantine dominance in the area.
The common turkish theory of "Ionians" that held some coastal cities of the West,belongs to the turkish schools not to History Smile

Anyway,i can see here an ultimate battle to defend turkish national pride using baklava !
I guess u could find some things which Turkish culture contributes to Civilization.
At least u use baklava (which is quiet tasty)
,many others use the "super-human turkish bravery" and the "super heroes turks" and have contaminated this interesting forum with their nationalistic silly illusions.

Edited by Brainstorm - 16-Nov-2006 at 06:08
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 08:26
Watch your step Brainstorm.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 12:00

Does Greece have ottoman traces???

Traces???????????LOL

Egeturk, traces is not the aproppriate word, choose another
Prej heshtjes...!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 12:31

Possibly and probably,there is Turkish blood flowing in Greeks, but chill out guys, this wouldnt be the first of last time an occupying army infused its genes into the locals.

A good recent example of this was Germany after WW2.  I remember when I arrived in Bremerhaven (1949) the band was playing Auf Wiedersahn(S?). We all wondered why they were playing a farewell song, until we saw the ship alongside loaded with German war brides going to the states. At that time the transatlantic traffic was, American soldiers going east and German brides going west. Please note that all these ladies had been indoctrinated as good Nazi children and taught to hate America---apparently that didnt workit never did!

So it is very probable that the situation in Greece was somewhat like ours in 1945? The probability  of this never to have happened is close to zero. The possibility of Greeks being a pure ancient race is also zero. The possibility of all Turks being pure Seljuk or Ottoman descendants is also zero.

To make sense of this one must remember that it is impossible to find any Caucasian who is further un-related than fifth cousin to all the people in the Caucasian race. I doubt that there is a human alive on earth who is further un- related than 10th cousin now that would be a topic to discuss??

My advise, enjoy the diversity !

Wink

Edited by xomalley - 16-Nov-2006 at 12:35
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 13:14
Brainstorm
Did u miss the hellinistic era ?
No, I was just mentioning the other dynasties/states/people other than the well known Hellenic states/dynasties/empires.

Brainstorm
the fact that Greek language replaced all local languages,and was the only spoken in Anatolian peninsula when turcic tribes arrived.
Can you source this? no doubt, Greek would have been the most powerfull and influential language in the area but are you sure the native's wern't speaking their own languages?

Albert Pine

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 13:21
Originally posted by Arbr Z

Does Greece have ottoman traces???

Traces???????????[IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Egeturk, traces is not the aproppriate word, choose another

Arber in the ottoman traces in Greece plus jamis(mosques),islam,bektashis,names,common struggles,antigreekness,sympathy between turks and albanians and you will have Albania!!!!!
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 13:25

Elinn

Its funny that this kind of vulgar language is not criticised while stating a basic fact that eating nuts and fruits doesn't require culinary skill is deemed an "insult".

you must have a very low vulgarity threshold.. that was tame.

I think it's vulgar you never spell my name right, but do you hear me kicking up a fuss or getting offended?!?! lol

Great for them but if you think Kebabs and Doner is merely skewering meat your again mistaken. There are many type's of Kebab, there are many types of Doner, the preperation, ingrediants, cooking method etc are very important. You can't just cut meat and stick it on a skewer, it would be almost in-edible as the fats and muscle tissues make it to tough. Turkic people had mastered this art due to their nomadic lifestyles in the Steppes were there was an abundance of lifestock.

Yer like that was the case throughout the ages. You think the Turks or Ottomans were the only ones "developing" and "refining" their culinary habits???. The ancients had enough recipes to substantiate cookbooks (eg Mithaikos, Archestratus). As for 'livestock', I don't think that was a 'privilege' reserved for the Nomads alone. 
Oil (along with herbs) is/was an integral part of meat prep/cooking/marinading etc.. and I would've thought the Greeks were enjoying this luxury well before the Turk Nomads came along.

They had no knowledge of Yoghurt and White Cheese.

So now we've gone from Cheese (in general) to white cheese.. LOL
How quickly you change your tune.

Byzantine cuisine was marked by a merger of Greek and Roman gastronomy....
.....Byzantine people produced various cheeses, including anthotiro or kefalintzin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Cuisine

(anthotiro = soft white cheese).

... and he milked the sheep and bleating goats, let half of the white milk coagulate and set it away in tightly woven baskets for settling and firming
    - Homer, The Odyssey

Synopsis:  Siren Feasts: History of Food and Gastronomy in Greece (Hardcover) by Andrew Dalby 1996.
Cheese, wine, honey and olive oil - four of Greece's best known contributions to culinary culture - were already well known 4,000 years ago. Remains of honeycombs and of cheeses have been found under the volcanic ash of the Santorini eruption of 1627 BC.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siren-Feasts-History-Gastronomy-Greece/dp/0415116201

This recipe is from the oldest known Greek cookbook, Art of Cookery, by Mithaecus.
It had a great effect on the foods of Athens and the Greek provinces in the fifth century B.C.

1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 tb. olive oil
1 tb. minced fresh dill
1 tb. minced fresh chives
Salt and freshly milled pepper
4 sea bass fillets, about 7 ounces each 
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2004-08-12-greek-food-main_x.htm

Yoghurt was introduced into Europe by Turkic Nomads migrating into Europe in 2nd century AD.

Galen knew about it after 2nd Century AD Wink

Well explain Herodotus' knowledge of it in the 5th century BC then?

---The Horizon Cookbook and Illustrated History of Eating and Drinking though the Ages, [American Heritage:New York] 1968 (p. 690)

This is from 1968 and used what was available then, the latest research prooves otherwise

Well, if you're going to be like that, then your cherished source,

---Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson [Oxford University Press:Oxford] 1999 (p. 299)

will come under fire for being a little outdated also.  It's not exactly the "latest" research now is it!
So much can be unearthed in 7 years. Approve

The Turks had been in the middle east since the 8th Century.

Your quote completely supports what I have been stating.

Now hang on a sec. Weren't you the one who was saying that the Baklava had been refined in the kitchens of the Ottoman Empire??  We're talking 13th century, and that;

the paper-thin pastry we know today was probably an innovation of the Ottoman sultan's kitchens at Topkapi palace in Istanbul.
---Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson [Oxford University Press:Oxford] 1999 (p. 299)
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html#pastry

So what did the Seljuks have to do with it? 
(ps I like how it states "probably").

also from the source above

The idea of making the sheets paper thins is a later development.

Phyllo today is "Yufka", Turks had an obession with rolling the thinest dough possible, my source above explains this in detail. Turks had this dish when they were in Eastern Turkistan/ modern Xinjiang province.

Bit of a contradiction there. 
And here's more.

"the dish is of Turkish origin, as the name has an affiliation with oklava (Turkish for rolling pin) thats used in the preparation"

"pastry called Baki pakhlavasi (Baku-style baklava) using ordinary noodle paste instead of filo"

So which one is it? 

Then we have these to pick from;

The word baklava itself is derived from Arabic بقلاوة baqlāwaḧ, based on an Arabic word for nuts.

"Baklava the famous Turkish pastry is, in fact, of Christian origins...baki-halva translates as 'Lenten sweet' and originally baklava had forty sheets of pastry dough, one for each of the days of Lent. The Armenian Christians are believed to have first brought it to Constantinople where it was quickly taken over by the seraglio..."

Istanbul was introduced to coffee in 1543 during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent by zdemir Pasha. There was a Coffee drink already in existance in Ethiopia and Yemen.

Originally posted by Mortaza

It is sad, when greeks are talking about greek culture at anatolia, they have no idea aboıut that cultures.

What makes you think I have no idea about these regions and the culture that has pre-existed there.  Living in the country I do, I get to mix with a substantial number of Greek immigrants and refugees (and their offspring) who stem from all regions of Greece and Asia Minor, but predominantly Pontians (and from a variety of places in Pontus, mind you).  So I wouldn't say my knowledge is limited when it comes to their heritage, traditions, customs, cuisine, etc.

Originally posted by Mortaza

wrong, Infact I am from that area, we use yufka but yufka itself is alien to blacksea cousine. Infact at blacksea even breads were from corn not from wheat.

Blacksea cousine consist of corn,barley

Anyone who have general idea about blacksea cousine will know, Yufka is alien to that culture, and I should add my village know pontus langauge, so It is effected pontus culture more.

Now this is where you are wrong. 
You obviously don't know the agricultural history of the region (Pontus) in which you live in well enough. 
Hopefully the following info/quotes from various sources will shed some light.

"the agricultural economy was supported chiefly by wheat, corn, barley, rye"

~These Greek cities, mostly established by Milesian colonizers, were for a long period good neighbors of the Scythians and other indigenous peoples. Trade consisted primarily of exchange of agricultural products (especially grain) for metal objects and luxuries.
~The northern and western coastal regions were fertile, the most developed farming must have been in the Phasis plain in Colchis. The foremost crop was grain (wheat, barley, millet); the north Pontic littoral, the Crimea, and the Dobrogea were the granaries of the ancient world
~Herodotus (7.147.2-3) portrays Xerxes as he saw Greek ships transporting grain through the Hellespont near Abydus.
http://www.iranica.com/newsite/articles/v4f3/v4f3a053.html

Einkorn wheat (Triticum monococcum / μονόκοκο) is the oldest form of wheat, which was cultivated in Pontus,  Flourishing in Trabezon where it was also exported.

"the bread was made with wheat or a mixture of wheat and barley"

"grains/cereals where used in the form cracked wheat (κορκότου), pasta (μακαρίνας) and flour (αλεύρων).

"due to Pontus having fertile land, there was an abundance and variety of agricultural products and cattle.  Richly developed trade that included - fish, corn/maize, barley, wheat, oats, flax, pulses/legumes, rice, hazelnuts, walnuts, chestnuts, cherries (Kerasus), apples, pears, nectarines, peaches, olives, oil, figs, grapes, pomegranates, tobacco (from Pafra and Samsun), unlimited supply of cheese, butter, honey and eggs.
The abundance of the farming produce, led the women of Pontus to develop various recipes which resulted in the combining of dairy and products of wheat, corn-flour, barley, cracked wheat.  There was a preference for soups with main ingredients consisting of flour, corn, wheat and barley.

There was a vast array of dairy production in Pontus - different types of yoghurt (low-fat, no-fat, creamy, drinking), milk, cream, curds, buttermilk, curds, whey, you name it, and of superior quality apparently.  (οξύγαλα; υλιστόν; πασκιτάν;ταν)

Here's a pic of the Pontian yufka. (yioufkades / γιοχαδες )
Which are used to make cheese pies.

This is part 1 of the preparation process, where they are stored as dry pastry sheets.
Part 2, they are moistened with water, then placed on a hot grill and buttered and cheese
is placed amongst the layers.

The arrival of the Turk's bought "Eriste" (similar to noodle's), "Manti" similar to raviolli and other such dishes.

Evriste - These are another specialty of the Black Sea Greeks, and are like very dry tagliatelle (without the eggs).
http://www.gourmed.gr/greek-food/show.asp?gid=9&nodeid=78&arid=3722

Evriste and Manti is a Pontian delicacy.

If this was an Ottomon creation, then why is it that only the Pontian Greeks make them???
Wouldn't it stand to reason, given that the Greek cuisine was supposedly influenced by the Turks/Ottomans, that "ALL" the Greeks no matter where, would be familiar with it?

Originally posted by borudjin

the national costumes and the music of all balkan peoples from armenians to greeks to serbs are almost identical. why? guess who dominated all these peoples for centuries. if all these peoples have similar almost identical music and dress its obvious they were derived from the osmans, which derived their dress and music from central asia(kipchak).

First of all, there are "so" many diverse "regional" costumes of Greece, so where's this resemblance you're talking about?

As for Greek folk music.

Musicological research has unearthed valuable evidence linking modern Greek folk song to ancient Greek music. It is not feasible to compare these musical types due to the influence of Christianity. Also, there is a substantial difference between ancient Greek prosody (quantitive), a recitation which clearly marked the difference between long and short syllables; thanks to its vowels, each word had an elementary rhythmic form as well as a rough melodic fine. In contrast, modem Greek is based on a tonic prosody (strong accentuation); its words simply have accentuated or non-accentuated syllables. Despite the change from quantitative to tonic prosody, the ancient Greek rhythmical formations live on in modem Greek folk melody.
The researches of Professors Thrasyvoulos Georgiadis and Samuel Baud-Bovy demonstrate that the 7/8 time, found throughout Greece, in none other than the heroic hexameter in which the Homeric epics were recited.
The word syrtos is known to have existed as early as the first century A.D., from an ancient Greek inscription. In addition, dance formation representations on vases, statuettes and terracottas show dancers linked either hand-on-shoulder or hand-in-hand with the instrumentalist in the center
http://www.helleniccomserve.com/musichistory.html

The Greek folk song can be divided into two cycles, the akritic and
klephtic. The akritic was created between the ninth and tenth centuries A.D. and expressed the life and struggles of the akrites (frontier guards) of the Byzantine empire, the most well known being the stories associated with Digenes Akritas. The klephtic cycle came into being between the late Byzantine period and the start of the Greek War of Independence struggle in 1821. The klephtic cycle, together with historical songs, paraloghes, love songs, wedding songs, songs of exile and dirges express the life of the Greeks. There is an indivisible unity between the Greek people's struggles for freedom, their joys and sorrow and attitudes towards love and death.
Folk songs refer to all songs created before the 1821 War of
Independence, which belong to the akritic and klephtic cycle.
The same two terms apply to Greek musical instruments. The lira, laouto (lute), tambouras, gaida (bagpipe), zoumas (shawm), daouli (drum) belong to the category of folk instruments. The violin, clarinet and guitar belong in the popular category.
Greek folk song, either diatonic or chromatic, like Byzantine music, is monophonic and modal in structure. In other words, without any harmonic accompaniment its melodies are based on a different sequence of intervals than that of the major and minor modes of Western music.
http://www.helleniccomserve.com/musichistory.html

Some of the characteristics of Greek folk costumes can be traced back to elements in ancient Hellenic and Byzantine costumes

The OUD is not tradtional Middle Eastern either, these have been commongly used in China, Iran and Central Asia since ancient
times, the Iranian BARBAT,  the Chinease have the PI-PA.

The roots of the musical instrument Oud, can be found through time,
before 3500 years in Persia, where it was called Barbat.  This
instrument was the same with the one that ancient Egyptians used in
Pharaoh times.  This was named from the Arabians Al Oud, which means wood and specifically thin wood.
http://www.oud.gr/about_oud.htm

Pandouris or pandourion, also called trichord because it had three
strings, is the first fretted instrument known, forerunner of the
various families of lutes worldwide.
Source of our knowledge about this instrument is the Mantineia marble
(4th cent BC, now exhibited at Athens Archaeological Museum) depicting the mythical contest between Apollo and Marsyas, where Pandouris is being played by a muse seated on a rock.
http://homoecumenicus.com/ancient_instruments.htm

the statue stated above is displayed on here, i think.
http://www.oud.gr/gravure.htm

You think the Greeks couldn't develop the bouzouki or baglama
from this prototype ?
And from what I've read the greek baglama is nothing like the turkish
one. 

Sure they were and the poor native folk of Asia Minor were enslaved by Greek colonialists into identifying themselves as Greeks.

Greeks were not in the business of enslaving, more like "others" wanting to enslave "her".
They weren't "marauders", after all, they weren't branded with such a nick-name, unlike some and their counterparts Wink.  And while i'm at it, they weren't renowned for being 'agressors', invaders or conquerors.. When it comes to crimes against humanity, the Greeks have a clean slate Wink.  So they colonised.. oohhh those dastardly greeks *rolleyes*.  They settled on land that was free for all and when there were no defined borders.  They were not akin to taking over people's homes by force, expelling or exterminating people from their ancestral lands and parading other's property and establishments as their own.  Wherever the greeks traversed, they didn't leave a trail of blood in their tracks, but glorious civilisations.

Human colonisation is not to be confused with colonialism or imperialism, as colonisation is a broader category, encompassing all large-scale emigrations of an established population to a 'new' location, and expansion of their civilisation into this area.
Classical Period - In ancient times, maritime nations such as the city-states of Greece often established colonies. These appear to have been more benign, emphasising the farming of uninhabited land. In classical times, land suitable for farming was often claimed by migratory "barbarian tribes" who lived by hunting and gathering. To ancient civilised people, the land simply appeared vacant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonisation

Originally posted by akritas

" Maybe"  you are right because I remember the Turkish quider  in Ephessus that tried to explain me that the Hellenistic period started in 4th cent  BC and was not Hellenic.

Or a Roman bridge of the 4th BC when is known that the Roman apeared after 200 years!!!

That reminds me of a travel show I was watching on tv about Turkey.  And the Turkish guide didn't mention Greek once.  Everything was Roman.  Even Pergamom and Ephesus.
I mean sure they had been Roman cities at one stage, but what were they "beforehand" or "initially"????
Wasn't it the Greeks who built these cities from scratch?
Even Bulldog's last post clearly shows how hard it is to say the "G" word where it counts. 
Like what have we ever done wrong ????
(And just for the record, Ionians didn't see themselves anything "less" than Greek)
Or the other label he would use (as do others, I've noticed) was simply Byzantine.  Which to the uneducated or ignorant could seem like a total foreign race therefore disassociating any Greek characteristic.

But you know what.  "Byzantine" gives the Greeks glory and honour too whether you like it or not.  It's a big part of the Greek's ethnic conscience and cultural fibre.

Have a read at what some foreign writers had to say about it.

[quote]A nation's self-image and self-understanding is shaped by the history it remembers and the culture that has molded its ethos and character from generation to generation. 
The memory of ancient Greece, from the beginning of its history down to the Christian era, was very much alive in the Byzantine Empire. 
Even though for legal and political reasons the inhabitants of the Empire called themselves Romans (Romaioi, Romioi), the history they remembered and the history they studied was that of the
ancient Greeks
- Herodotos, Thucydides, Polybios, Plutarch[os], the image they possessed of themselves had been molded by the language they spoke [Greek], the literature they read - Homer,
Hesiod, Sophocles, Plato - and the physicians and scientists they studied - Hippocrates, Archimides, Hero, Ptolemeos, Strabo and many more - from ancient times to their times.

It is for this reason that Hellenology rather than Byzantinology more accurately expresses the nature of the Byzantine Empire's people and culture as the Hungarian scholar Gy Moravesik writes.

The Byzantine Empire was no less than a continuation of the Greek world as it had evolved after the age of Alexander the Great.  Even from as early as the reign of Constantine the Great we can identify the Byzantine Empire as the Greek Empire of the middle centuries.

The importance of philosophy and Hellenic ideals as a prodromos (forerunner) to Christ was beautifully developed by Justin the philosopher and martyr and others.  Clement of Alexandria (153-217)
writes that before the coming of Christ "philosophy was necessary to the Greek for righteousness," and it was given to them by God, "for God is the cause of all good things." 

Influential Church fathers such as the Cappadocians, the Alexandrians, the Antiochians and many ecclesiastical writers, including hagiologists, had been nurtured in an intellectual climate that had respect for both Christian faith and Greek learning. 

Revealed truth in Scripture, and revealed truth through human logos, were perceived as two interrelated principles and God-given gifts to humankind.  It is for this reason that they relied on Scriptural passages and Greek educational proof texts.
St. Basil urged young students to study Homer because Homer's epics are full of ethical instructions that lead to the truth and virtue.  The interrelationship between Hellenism and Christianity gave birth to what is called Christian Hellenism (Glanville Downey, Francis Dvornik, George Florovsky and several more).

Biblical and patristic instruction and ancient Greek thought were integrated into a system of belief, ethos, and customs which determined its continuum throughout the Byzantine millennium. 
They spoke the language of Plato and cited Greek poets and philosophers and were at home among Greek ideas, rhetoric, ethics; it was their belief that Greek philosophy was the instrument of God for an ecumenical appeal of Christianity. 
The ancient Church adopted classical culture as a new spiritual force uniting the Greek and Roman world with the religious impulse of the Hebrew world.  In the process of Hellenism was Christianized and
Christianity was Hellenized.  As history and literature professor Ihor Sevcenko, a Ukrainian-American leading Byzantine scholar has put it:

"Hellenism vanquished by Christianity conquered its victor in turn".

It is well known that the so-called "Byzantines" defined themselves as Romans (citizens of the Roman Empire). 
After the edict of Caracallus all free people of the Empire became Romans.  Other nations and peoples such as Latins, Franks, Germans, Russians, Armenians, Georgians, Khazarian Jews thought of the
"Byzantines" as Greeks or Yunani, Yavani, Yoyn (IONIANS)
.  The "Byzantines" called their state "Kingdom of the Romans" (Basileion ton Rhomaion) but others described it as Graecia (Greece), the Greek Empire, or Yunastan, Yavan, Yawan (Ionia).

Aristotle, Apollodoros, the Chronicle of Paros and other ancient sources tell us that the name Greek is older than Hellene.  It was occasionally used by the Byzantines themselves for self-identification,
but more frequently it was used to designate the learning, language, and culture of their Empire. 
With some exceptions, for most of the foreigners the whole Byzantine Empire, including Asia Minor, was Greece, and its citizens Greeks.  In determining the Greek national character, outsiders made no distinction between pagan and Christian Greeks, between the Greeks of ancient times and the "Byzantines" of the Middle Ages.

To Benjamin of Tudela, the Spaniard Jew who traveled to the East in the 12th century, the whole of the Empire, including the Balkan Peninsula and Asia Minor, is Greece.
Constantinople "is the capital of the whole land of Javan, which is called Greece." 
In the eyes of Benjamin, the Byzantines were not warlike.  Instead, for their wars, usually defensive, they hired among all nations warriors called barbarians to fight against the Sultan of the Seljuks, "for the natives are not warlike."  Lawless people from the hills of Wallachia despoiled and ravaged "the land of Greece."  While those lawless people refrained from killing Jews, "they killed the Greeks."  Benjamin adds that in Constantinople is the church of Santa Sophia and
the seat of the Patriarch of the Greeks, "since the Greeks do not obey the Pope of Rome." 
He calls the whole Empire, including the Balkan Peninsula and Asia Minor, "the Empire of Greece." 
The Greeks are described as very rich, possessing of gold and precious stones, and dressed in garments of silk with gold embroidery; they ride horses and look like princes.
"Indeed, the land [of the Greeks] is very rich in all cloth stuffs, and in bread, meat, and wine.  Wealth like that of Constantinople is not to be found in the whole world.  Here also are men learned in all the books of the Greeks, and they eat and drink, every man under his vine and his fig-tree."

"Only the highest praise could do justice to the importance of the Greeks.  Even excessive admiration is not infrequently expressed" by Arabs in the words of Franz Rosenthal, a leading scholar of Islam and
the Arabs.  He cites Arabic sources.

For the Arabs, the Byzantine rulers were Greeks, not Roman, and "Greek rulers were always building level roads through difficult territory, filling hollows, cutting through high mountains and banishing fear of them.  They were always constructing various kinds of bridges, erecting strong walls, building aqueducts and diverting rivers They were concerned with science and medicine." 

Other Arabic sources describe the Byzantine state as Rum but they consider its people and culture as Ighritsi (Greek).
http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8144.asp

Originally posted by Spartakus

Let me repeat  myself again.Are any Byzantine-Hellenic traces in Ottoman Turks?

most definitely

Edited by Ellin - 16-Nov-2006 at 13:38
"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 15:11
Elinn
Yer like that was the case throughout the ages. You think the Turks or Ottomans were the only ones "developing" and "refining" their culinary habits???.

Well what we have today is a result of the Ottoman influence is it not, so what's your problem?

Ellin
Oil (along with herbs) is/was an integral part of meat prep/cooking/marinading etc.. and I would've thought the Greeks were enjoying this luxury well before the Turk Nomads came along.
Why? Turk's controlled the "Spice Route", China was a big power, India had powerfull states so did the Middle East, Africa and the Medditerranean peoples.

Also they all traded with each other, the Turks being in the middle and the one's who let the traders through or not had acess to all the spices, herbs and ingrediants in the known world.

Ellin
.....Byzantine people produced various cheeses

Byzantine cuisine was marked by a merger of Greek and Roman gastronomy.

Also Byzantine cuisine came after Cheese started first being developed and used. The Byzantines and other people's had cheese aswell at that era of time.

Using your same source

Origins

The exact origins of cheesemaking are debated or unknown, and estimates range from around 8000 BCE (when sheep were domesticated) to around 3000 BCE. Credit for the discovery most likely goes to nomadic Turkic tribes in Central Asia, around the same time that they developed yogurt, or to people in the Middle East

We already established that for example yoghurt was introduced into Europe via Turkic tribes who migrated North of Caspian Sea Westwards and also had trade connections with European people's, its how Cheese passed along aswell.

Ellin
Well explain Herodotus' knowledge of it

Via the Turkic groups who had traded and passed to other groups in the West.

Elinn

will come under fire for being a little outdated also.  It's not exactly the "latest" research now is it!

It's later then your sources and most importantly "objective" and we can eliminate "bias" as the guy isn't Greek or Turkish, he's a food historian and researches these matters.

Untill you become a food historian and attain an acedemic credibility where-as you'll be accepted to write on behalf of "Oxford University" I don't see why we should believe "you" over Alan Davidson Wink

Elinn
Now hang on a sec. Weren't you the one who was saying that the Baklava had been refined in the kitchens of the Ottoman Empire?? 

Yeah, that's the refinned version, it existed prior to this in Turkic regions and there are still examples of "early Baklava".

Elinn
"the dish is of Turkish origin, as the name has an affiliation with oklava (Turkish for rolling pin) thats used in the preparation"

"pastry called Baki pakhlavasi (Baku-style baklava) using ordinary noodle paste instead of filo"

Yufka is not Phillo but, Phillo is the closest thing that a Western audience will know to Yufka unless they're Turkish cusine enthusiasts.

Ellin
Here's a pic of the Pontian yufka. (yioufkades / γιοχαδες )
Which are used to make cheese pies.

That's not Yufka, it's basic Pide.

It's probobly an attempt at creating "Gozleme"

This is authentic Turk cuisine,

Ellin
Evriste - These are another specialty of the Black Sea Greeks, and are like very dry tagliatelle (without the eggs).
Evriste and Manti is a Pontian delicacy.

Yes, this is Turkic inlfluence.

WoW, I never knew that some Greek's know Eriste and Manti aswell, that's another dish.

Ellin
If this was an Ottomon creation, then why is it that only the Pontian Greeks make them???

It's not an Ottoman creation, it's a Central Asian Turkic creation and has been in existance for a few millenia.

Eriste and Manti are directly from Turkic areas of Central Asia. They are common to all Turkic people's. Why would all Turks make them and only some Greeks living under Turkic influence for 1000 years cook these dishes while other Greek communities who had less time under Turkic influence don't Wink

Basically, arguing about Eriste and Manti is pointless, they're totally Central Asian Turkic dishes.

These dishes are food of the "people", they don't need very expensive ingrediants to make, Turkic people across the Turkic world make this dish.

The Pontian Greeks obviously have adopted these Turkic cullinary dishes. Also Pontian Greeks have been in contact  and under the influence of Turkic peoples for far longer than those on the Aegean coast and Islands.

Ellin
Some of the characteristics of Greek folk costumes can be traced back to elements in ancient Hellenic and Byzantine costumes

And some to Seljuk, Ottomn Turkic costumes.

Ellin
You think the Greeks couldn't develop the bouzouki or baglama

Your taking it as an insult, it isn't intended to be one, it's not that the Greeks "couldn't" develop it, it's that the Turks had already developed it and the Greeks obviously liked it in order to adapt it into their culture. So there was no need for them to develop an instrument that already existed.

Bouzouki derives from the Bozuk Turkmens Baglama's who the Greeks obviously liked to name the instrument after them.

Baglama means "to tie/something that's ties up"

Ellin
Greeks were not in the business of enslaving, more like "others" wanting to enslave "her".
They weren't "marauders", after all, they weren't branded with such a nick-name, unlike some and their counterparts Wink.  And while i'm at it, they weren't renowned for being 'agressors', invaders or conquerors.. When it comes to crimes against humanity, the Greeks have a clean slate

LOL How about Alexander?

Well if this is your mentallity, its clear that you've been severely brainwashed and live in a cloud-cookoo-land where all Greeks are great, innocent angelic people.

Ellin
 So they colonised..  They settled on land that was free for all and when there were no defined borders.

No, the land wasn't free for all and their were defined borders and states.

Ellin
They were not akin to taking over people's homes by force, expelling or exterminating people from their ancestral lands

Really? where did all the other groups go then? just VANISH. Do you know how Christians were treated and later non-Christians for example? the ordinary people wern't very happy with the Byzantines.

Elllin
Wherever the greeks traversed, they didn't leave a trail of blood in their tracks

What happened in Persepolis Confused

Ellin
Human colonisation is not to be confused with colonialism or imperialism,

Sorry but the areas Greeks were trying to Colonise had already been colonised by humans tens of thousands of years age.

Hellin
That reminds me of a travel show I was watching on tv about Turkey.  And the Turkish guide didn't mention Greek once. Everything was Roman.  Even Pergamom and Ephesus.

Get over it.

Plus, Ephesus was originally the capitol of "Arzawa". It became a great Ionian Greek city and also had a great Roman contribution.

Ellin
I mean sure they had been Roman cities at one stage, but what were they "beforehand" or "initially"????

Of various origins.

Lydian, Lykian, Hitite, Phrygian, Assyrian etc etc

Ellin
But you know what.  "Byzantine" gives the Greeks glory and honour too whether you like it or not.

That's lovley, oh the Romantism for those Romans LOL

The rest of your post belong's in Historical Amusement.

Edited by Bulldog - 16-Nov-2006 at 15:27
Albert Pine

General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 17:59
[QUOTE=Bulldog]Elinn
Yer like that was the case throughout the ages. You think the Turks or Ottomans were the only ones "developing" and "refining" their culinary habits???.

Well what we have today is a result of the Ottoman influence is it not, so what's your problem?

What he is trying to say is that Ottoman cuisine has various influences from  OTHERS who were also developing and refining their own cuisine. You don't seem so dumb as to not understand the question, so the only other explanation is that you PURPOSEDLY evade the point; you can't EVEN, EVER mention that the Turks EVER inherited ANYTHING  from ANYONE else.  It's, like,  you're going to be struck bumbfounded or something upon even admittance of the fact. THAT IS THE POINT.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>