Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Greece have ottoman traces???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: Does Greece have ottoman roots???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [65.33%]
19 [25.33%]
7 [9.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Greece have ottoman traces???
    Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:14
Baglama? where? that's not evidence its a damaged stone-inscription, this is not proof its a manipulation of history to suit your desires.

Anatolian Civilization Museum, Ankara/Turkey.

Tel: +90 312 324 31 60.

Call them, Ask Baglama-Hittite Relation, and Learn it. No Wikipedia, no anonymous source, no irrelevant posts, no problem.

The instrument is not exactly the same shape, is held in a different position a position resembling more the PI-PA of China, the adition is a decoration for a doll, it doesn't exist on Turkic Baglama's and has no significance.

Dr. Atinc Emnalar,  Academician - EGE University/ Turkey.

Blm Başkan Yrd. : Dr. Atin EMNALAR Tel: +90 232 3887036 -        +90 232 3881024

Call him, Ask the similarity of the shape, and learn it. No Wikipedia, no anonymous source, no irrelevant posts, no problem.

Turkish Classical music is Turkish Classical music.

Read more Ataturk, friend.

Edited by The Hidden Face - 04-Nov-2006 at 15:15
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:29
Hidden_Face
Anatolian Civilization Museum, Ankara/Turkey.

Tel: +90 312 324 31 60.

Call them, Ask Baglama-Hittite Relation

LOL

I hope they don't tell me that "Trojans" are Turks either. Baglama has no direct relation to any Hitite instrument, similarities between stringed instruments can be seen in many parts of the world as I explained using the diagram in my last post. Any remote closeness you try to draw with Hitite instruments are nothing but a coincidence.

Hidden_Face
 Read more Ataturk, friend.

Why? what has he got to do with this, he didn't create Turkish Classical Music and wasn't a musician, he's not qualified to comment on such matters.

Do you want the number of a "professor" who thinks that the Trojans were Turkic aswell LOL
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:43
Buldog
I will agree with you as about that the origin of the coffee in Europe came from Africa.The only thing that managed to slip into available records is the fact that members of certain Galla tribes in Ethiopia discovered a perfect remedy for lethargy.Who introduced this kind of coffee we have many opinions..but in my opinion (as many writers quoted) originated from Syria and the Arabs.
As about the Baklava I quoted a source that describe the initial prescription as used from the ancient Greeks.Actually is not GREEK.The Greek seamen,merchants traveling east to Mesopotamia soon discovered the delights of baklava. It mesmerized their taste buds. They brought the recipe to Athens. The Greeks' major contribution to the development of this pastry is the creation of a dough technique that made it possible to roll it as thin as a leaf, compared to the rough, bread-like texture of the Assyrian dough. In fact, the name "Phyllo" was coined by the ancioent Greeks, which means  leaf. In a relatively short time, in every kitchen of wealthy households in the region, trays of baklava were being baked for all kinds of special occasions from the 3rd Century B.C. and onwards.You can read it in Deipfosophists and as I said identified asgastris, kopte, kopton, or koptoplakous. Except if you are  from the Turks that beleive you have historical relations and connections with the Anatolian people(Assyurins,Hittites e.t.c.) then.....Ouch
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:54
Hidden face, you are an evil evil evil man.LOL
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 16:09
Akritas
I will agree with you as about that the origin of the coffee in Europe came from Africa.The only thing that managed to slip into available records is the fact that members of certain Galla tribes in Ethiopia discovered a perfect remedy for lethargy.Who introduced this kind of coffee we have many opinions..but in my opinion (as many writers quoted) originated from Syria and the Arabs.

There was no Syria, there was the Sham province and it was a part of the Ottoman Empire in that period.

Turkish Coffee was created in the Ottoman Kitchens just like Expresso was invented in Itally.

Arabs drink "Mirra" is different to Turkish Coffee and Expresso.

Akritas Phyllo today is "Yufka", Turks had an obession with rolling the thinest dough possible, my source above explains this in detail. Turks had this dish when they were in Eastern Turkistan/ modern Xinjiang province.

It's possible that also a similar dish could have existed in the Middle East/Mediterranean. As dough and syrup exist in both cultures.

What is certain is that "Baklava" became what we now know to be Baklava in the Ottoman kitchen's.

Different versions of the dish like Paklava of Azerbaycan and other dishes in Central Asia are similar but not the same as the one developed by Ottomans.

Akritas
Except if you are  from the Turks that beleive you have historical relations and connections with the Anatolian people(Assyurins,Hittites e.t.c.) then.....Ouch

I agree with you, they're wacky arn't they.

Culinary wise.

Boreks/Coreks, Dolma's, Yoghurt based dishes etc etc were passed to Greek culture via the Turks

Sea fish foods were passed to Turk culture via Greeks also Sea fishing techniques aswell.

p.s do you drink "Ayran" in Greece? a Yoghurty drink. Are Turkish carpets used in Greece?

Edited by Bulldog - 04-Nov-2006 at 16:11
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 16:29
Originally posted by Bulldog

p.s do you drink "Ayran" in Greece? a Yoghurty drink.
Actually introduced to the Greek mainlanders from the Pontian Greeks and is known as Ayriani!!!!.One more common trace.Dont ask me the origin because I am not PontianLOL

Are Turkish carpets used in Greece?
Yes we using  a lot,  the dealers usually are the Roma, are more cheap from the Persians and the Greek ones.The latter use Persian cloth.

Edited by akritas - 04-Nov-2006 at 16:30
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 16:38
Guys i don't where is baklava is coming the only think that i know is that i like more the Turkish baklava.We have a shop with Turkish baklava in the center of Athens (Sintagma square).

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 17:12

I hope they don't tell me that "Trojans" are Turks either. Baglama has no direct relation to any Hitite instrument, similarities between stringed instruments can be seen in many parts of the world as I explained using the diagram in my last post. Any remote closeness you try to draw with Hitite instruments are nothing but a coincidence.

The Claim "Trojans were Turks" is originated from Pan Turkists, who have nothing to do with Anatolian Civilizations Museum. The Museum would never claims such things. Ethnic orientation of people is a matter of Biology, and only proven by exact sciences.

However, reliefs are quite acceptable proofs for history of musical instruments. If one historian claims a theory about a musical instrument and supported by reliefs, this shouldn't be a subject of a sarcastic post. Furthermore both the Museum and the academician have no credibilty problem.

As for the Turkish classical Music, Read its history then. Because Ataturk was right!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 17:31
Hidden_Face
The Claim "Trojans were Turks" is originated from Pan Turkists, who have nothing to do with Anatolian Civilizations Museum. The Museum would never claims such things. Ethnic orientation of people is a matter of Biology, and only proven by exact sciences.

No its not, Biology has very little to do with ethnicity, we all share the same biology, what makes us differ is culture and everyting that comes under it like language and so on.

I don't get it, Turks have such a rich history why are they trying to claim un-related history.

However, reliefs are quite acceptable proofs for history of musical instruments.

Yeah, that a musical instrument existed, doesn't proove anything what-so-ever in trying to proove that the Baglama is Hitite LOL Baglama Ozan culture began in the area of Turkey with the advent of Turkic tribes into the area. Prior to that this Central Asian Turkic culture didn;'t exist in the region.

Hidden_Face 
As for the Turkish classical Music, Read its history then. Because Ataturk was right!

He was right? really, just because he's AtaTurk he's right, ha that's a great one Confused

Mustafa Kemal was not a musician or a professor in musical studies.

Alot of Western music in the era was "religous music", Ottomans were muslim and had a rich musical tradition of their own.
Albert Pine

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 19:48
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

5) Karagoz-Hacivat is most probably an indian tradition, and came to Turkey via Egypt. 

Hmph...Don't really think so...And even if it is Indian, how did it come over Egypt?
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 20:25
D.T.C.F Tiyatro krss eski başkanlarından Prof. Metin Anda gre ise, 1517 yılında Mısırı fetheden Yavuz Sultan Selimin Memlk sultanı Tumanbayın Nil nehri zerindeki Roda adasında asılışını hayal perdesinde canlandıran bir hayal sanatısını, oğlu Kanuni Sultan Sleymanın da grmesini arzu ederek İstanbula getirmesiyle glge oyunu Anadoluya girmiştir: Trkler 16. yzyılın başında perde gerisinden glge yansıtma tekniğini Mısırdan almışlardır. Mısır oyunlarında birbirinden kopuk sahneler bulunduğu iin ilk başlarda Trk glge oyunlarında da buna uyulmuştur. Ayrıca, Mısır glge oyunlarında belirli, kalıplaşmış kişilere pek rastlanmaz. Nitekim 16. yzyılda Karagz ve Hacıvatın adını pek duymayız. Bylece, Mısırdan alınmış olan bu yeni oyuna zamanla Trk yaratıcılığı katılmış, ok renkli, hareketli bir biim verilmiş, kesin biimini aldıktan sonra da Osmanlı İmparatorluğunun etki alanı evresinde yayılmıştır. Bylece glge oyunu Mısıra yani geldiği yere bu yeni biimiyle dnp yerleşmiştir. Nitekim bir ok gezgin, 19. yzyılda Mısırdaki glge oyununu anlatırken, bunun karagz olduğunu, Mısıra Trkler tarafından sokulduğunu ve oğunlukla Trke oynatıldığını belirtmişlerdir.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 21:15

According to the 17th century Turkish writer Evliya Celebi, however, Karagoz was first performed at the Ottoman palace during the reign of Bayezid I (1389-1402). The shadow play is known to have been widely performed for the public and in private houses between the 17th and 19th centuries, particularly during the month of Ramazan, when there were nightly performances (except for the Night of Power) in the coffee houses. Legend attributes the character of Karagoz to a real person who lived during the reign of Orhan Bey (1324-1360). A mosque was being built in the then Turkish capital of Bursa, and among the labourers were Karagoz and Hacivad, who kept dist-racting the others form their work with their humorous repartee. As a result, construction of the mosque took longer than expected, and when the angry sultan heard about their antics he had them both executed. However, the pair of comedians were so sorely missed by the townsfolk that a man named Seyh Kusteri made images of Karagoz and Hacivad from camel hide and began to give puppet shows.

This art was known as "Kor Kolcak" or "Chadur Hayal" in Central Asia by Turkic tribes and even Karagoz has Shamanistic elements.

What is clear is that "Hacivat and Karagoz" was an Ottoman creation, there are many characters of different ethnicities in the State in the play's.

Shadow Plays
Albert Pine

Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 00:54

One thing that I'd have to add is that I appreciate Bulldog that he provided a source from Oxford saying Baklava is a food of ethnic Turks. I am really surprised. However the information is, without a doubt, incorrect.

And Akritas sorry for late reply, I was focusing on the sources of Baglama. It's true that Byzantine cuisine had a similar foot named koptoplakous, but I personaly think that what's now is Baklava is different and originally from the people of especially Antep and Hatay, Mersin, Adana, Aleppo, etc. I don't think that Baklava has an aegean root.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 16:56
Hidden_Face
One thing that I'd have to add is that I appreciate Bulldog that he provided a source from Oxford saying Baklava is a food of ethnic Turks. I am really surprised. However the information is, without a doubt, incorrect

Shocked Comming from the internet historian.

So you expect us to believe you over food historians from one of the worlds most prestigous universities, now that's something else LOL

Who are you to say its incorrect, he researched this extensively and can back up his finds, when you become a food historian and conduct an objective study into the subject then we can begin to take your theories seriously.
Albert Pine

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 17:27
Do Turks have Hellenic-Byzantine traces?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 17:42
So, this thread had gone from discussing the Ottoman roots of Greece to denying the Arabic connections and traditions of the Ottomans. Such a hard task to be a pan-Turkist...
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by konstantinius

So, this thread had gone from discussing the Ottoman roots of Greece to denying the Arabic connections and traditions of the Ottomans. Such a hard task to be a pan-Turkist...

Or a neo-Turk, quasi-Turk, part-Turk, quasar-Turk....
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 18:33
Exactly , the values of cultural and social heritages interchanged amongst each other .
And definately , Greece has Ottoman roots .
Kahve is sent to Europe via Ottoman Empire from Silk road , by VEnetian or Genoise merchants .
Doner - Kebab and other foods that involve meat, are thought from the nomadic thought . That was the easy method to prepare a meat barbecue . Lets say FAst Food.
Baglama is Central Asian origined . Kazak Turks have a 2 - stringed "Saz" ( Actually it included G-D strings )
Baklava ; No need to deal whether it was TURKish dessert or not .

- There could be cultural influence on every civilization.
WE use greek words too , Limon - Turunc - Istakoz - Cipura - Kefal ...etc
Many of the navigational terms ,  names of fishes- fruits and basically Christian religious words are taken from that language .
What if we had those ?

If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by konstantinius

It's imposible to deny the Arabic/Semitic connections of the Ottomans, since the Ottoman Empire is an Islamic Empire. However the other existed connections of Ottomans must be shown in order to clarify history. Byzantine-Ottoman relations cannot be understood by correlating it with WASP-Alqaida. This forum already proves it.
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 20:20

Ellin
There no longer remains any one in Smyrna who knows how to make carpets."

Go and visit the areas around the Izmir and you'll realise that your just making a fool out of yourself.

Well clearly it was a skill that was picked up thanks to others, like the Persians, Armenians, Greeks, etc.  The Turks were not in the forefront of rug/carpet making.

Akritas Phyllo today is "Yufka", Turks had an obession with rolling the thinest dough possible, my source above explains this in detail. Turks had this dish when they were in Eastern Turkistan/ modern Xinjiang province.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think Asians were big on dairy products and doughy foods.

Yufka or Yioufkades (which I'm thinking may be a Persian term, but that's as far as it goes) was a part of the Pontian cuisine, well before the advent of Turks in the area.

Then again, a lot of the native folk of Asia Minor were forcefully integrated into identifying themselves as Turks, so ofcourse a lot of their traditional practices will be pawned off or showcased as Turkish.

What is certain is that "Baklava" became what we now know to be Baklava in the Ottoman kitchen's.

The Armenians, as their Kingdom was located on ancient Spice and Silk Routes, integrated for the first time the cinnamon and cloves into the texture of baklava. The Arabs introduced the rose-water and cardamom. The taste changed in subtle nuances as the recipe started crossing borders. To the north of its birthplace, baklava was being baked and served in the palaces of the ancient Persian kingdom. To the west, it was baked in the kitchens of the wealthy Roman mansions, and then in the kitchens of the Byzantine Empire until the fall of the latter in 1453 A.D

THE PERFECTION:
In the 15th Century A.D., the Ottomans invaded Constantinople to the west, and they also expanded their eastern territories to cover most of ancient Assyrian lands and the entire Armenian Kingdom. The Byzanthion Empire came to an end, and in the east Persian Kingdom lost its western provinces to the invaders. For four hundred years from 16th Century on, until the decline of Ottoman Empire in 19th Century, the kitchens of Imperial Ottoman Palace in Constantinople became the ultimate culinary hub of the empire.

The artisans and craftsmen of all Guilds, the bakers, cooks and pastry chefs who worked in the Ottoman palaces, at the mansions of Pashas and Viziers, and at Provincial Governor (Vali) residences etc., had to be recruited from various ethnic groups that composed the empire. Armenian, Greek, Persian, Egyptian, Assyrian and occasionally Serbian, Hungarian or even French chefs were brought to Constantinople, to be employed at the kitchens of the wealthy. These chefs contributed enormously to the interaction and to the refinement of the art of cooking and pastry-making of an Empire that covered a vast region to include the Balkans, Greece, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Persia, Armenia, Iraq and entire Mesopotamia, Palestine, Egypt, North Africa and the Mediterranean and Aegean islands. Towards the end of 19th Century, small pastry-shops started to appear in Constantinople and in major Provincial capitals, to cater the middle class, but the Ottoman Palace have always remained the top culinary "academy" of the Empire, until its end in 1923.
http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/Baklava.htm

Classic case of the Turks wanting to take the credit from the efforts of others.

Baklava was a big part of the Greek cuisine (not necessarily the founders) well before the Turkish Invasion.

Simonis Kafiris has done a fair bit of research and put together a book called "With almonds, walnuts and honey - An Anthology of Greek Sweets".  The most popular Greek sweet was the Gastrin / γαστριν (in Ancient Greece), then the kopti / κοπτή (Byzantine), and Baklavas / μπακλαβάς (modern Greece), which are all inter-connected.

The Greeks developed a liking for the sweet taste of the dessert, thanks to the trade connections with the Assyrians (in the 8th century BC), and brought it back with them to the bakeries of Athens.
By the 3rd century BC, there was no Greek household that didn't serve 'baklava'.
http://www.noikokyra.gr/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=452

Halva, baklava, boureki, etc contain classical/traditional Greek ingredients
from Antiquity or the Byzantine era, the basic of them being "dough, sesame, wheat, nuts, honey and various fruits".
http://www.noikokyra.gr/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=452

In the "Deipnosofistai", like Akritas mentioned, which dates back to
100 AD, states a recipe for Kopi / κοπή which contains "filo pastry layers filled with nuts, honey, sesame and poppy seeds" (XIV, 647-648)

Yoghurt based dishes etc etc were passed to Greek culture via the Turks

p.s do you drink "Ayran" in Greece? a Yoghurty drink.

Originally posted by Akritas

Actually introduced to the Greek mainlanders from the Pontian Greeks and is known as Ayriani!!!!.One more common trace.Dont ask me the origin because I am not PontianLOL

That's bullsh*t, that yoghurt is a Turkish concoction.
It doesn't take much brains to figure out how to make it, and Greeks being an agrarian peoples also, wouldn't have taken them long to figure out how to make it.. and that goes for other nations also.

Like I mentioned earlier, didn't think dairy was a big part of the Asiatic diet. 

The Pontians do make a yoghurt drink, but it's called Tun, from what I know, not Ayran.
I'm sure, had it been given to them by the Turks, they would've kept the same term/label.

"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>