Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
    Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 13:15
What do you think of this singer? he;s very talented.

Its very interesting that they do "Sama" in Pakistan, its also common in Central Asia and Turkey.

Huu Huu
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 15:38
He's an old favourite of mine.
Got to know him from the shows of the late BBC Disc Jockey John Peel who played NFAK at every opportunity, and thus made him enormously popular in Europe.
Got a couple of CDs, it's totally mesmerising stuff.
AFAIK, the great pakistani singer died a few years back, but the tradition is kept alive by his son and other members of his family.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 17:16
Yes infact the family is meant to have a 500 year old tradition of this style of singing.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 23:28
Originally posted by Komnenos

He's an old favourite of mine.
Got to know him from the shows of the late BBC Disc Jockey John Peel who played NFAK at every opportunity, and thus made him enormously popular in Europe.
Got a couple of CDs, it's totally mesmerising stuff.
AFAIK, the great pakistani singer died a few years back, but the tradition is kept alive by his son and other members of his family.
He has no son. Only a daughter. I  met him. Strange sight, a 300 pound plus Chinese looking man, with an ever present coke. But when he started playing........

Kom, want to hear most of his mucsic check this out

In the Artistes box on the right select Nurat Fateh Ali Khan. And then, enjoy. (You need Real Player).

TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 23:41

Good thread this one..I was surprised to learn that Pakistan's answer to Pavarotti had an impact on Eddie Vedder's music (pearl jam), they would seem to be the complete opposite in what they played. Pearl Jam was more of a heavy metal group if my hoodie was anything to go by, NFAK was a Qawwali musician. But I guess the blend must have been good.

The spinning movement appears quite common in Pakistani classical dance, though the one most closesly related to the dervishers is Raq-o-Sama.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 02-Nov-2006 at 23:46
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 00:59
Lol, and looking further into the Eddie Vedder-Fateh Ali Khan (nephew in this video), comes this..relaxing stuff..definitely not what i'd imagine him getting up to.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 03-Nov-2006 at 01:08
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 06:06
His nephew i am sorry to say is but a stub of where a giant tree once stood. His pitch is not suited to this type of vocal. IMHO.

NFAK is famous and rightly so, but a lot of people are unaware of the qawalli tradition of India. Which is in much better shape and condition than Pakistan's and more culturally ingrained too. Where you will still find qawals at the shrines of saints showing their devotion.

My criticism of NFAK is that he did too much commercial and popular stuff than the core of his style towards the end of his life. Also the kalam went out and in came the everyday lyrics.

Other than that he is a legend.

Edited by malizai_ - 03-Nov-2006 at 06:09
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 06:11
If i may add that the golden age of Qawali is denoted by the presence of three legends in one era. namely NFAK, Sabri brothers and Aziz Mian.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 14:20

Is there anyone in his family who can carry on producing his quality of music?

Who are the other greats in this style of music?

Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply