Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Korea: North vs South, who wins?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
stupidumboy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Korea: North vs South, who wins?
    Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 01:45
North Koreas military should not be judged only by their unit number.

Comparing North and South military power and tactics is like comparing Syria and Israel respectively.

NK military  quality sucks as we all witnessed from the 'Yonpyong sea battle'  in 1999.

Edited by stupidumboy - 05-Feb-2007 at 01:51
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:14
Yes, indeed.

'Yonpyong sea battle'  in 1999 was not a serious attempt by North Koreans. It was a small sea conflict. It was where North Korean's outdated navy faced the numerically equal South Korea's advance destoryers. The result was so predictable.

But on land, the tide of war changes. North Korea does not possess a great navy since they do not really need it. Any sea operations that threats North Korea would alert China... since they either have to pass the Yellow Sea... and East Sea' current is not ideal for military operation. North Korean radars would be able to detect the enemy navy before the Allies could attempt landing. Possible exception to small scale spy infiliteration, which James Bond's "Die Another Day" demonstrated.

Join us.
Easternknight View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by pekau

Nothing's 100%, Easterknight. As a historian, you should know that.

You still should have gotten the "jist" of it
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 19:07

Yes, indeed.

'Yonpyong sea battle'  in 1999 was not a serious attempt by North Koreans. It was a small sea conflict. It was where North Korean's outdated navy faced the numerically equal South Korea's advance destoryers. The result was so predictable.

But on land, the tide of war changes. North Korea does not possess a great navy since they do not really need it. Any sea operations that threats North Korea would alert China... since they either have to pass the Yellow Sea... and East Sea' current is not ideal for military operation. North Korean radars would be able to detect the enemy navy before the Allies could attempt landing. Possible exception to small scale spy infiliteration, which James Bond's "Die Another Day" demonstrated.

It wasn't Destroyers it was Patrol Craft and corvettes against similar class ships of North Korea including a frigate. You know you don't have to be right on top of North Korea to Use Cruise Missles to strike North Korean Sites and also China isn't going to attack South Korean Destroyers in the Yellow Sea not unless it was going to defend the North of which I have already pointed out is extremely unlikely. Normandys weather was not ideal for military operations nor was the English Channels currents. D-Day still occured. whoever controls the Sea and Air determines whos special forces would in whose country since South would control the Air and Sea its the South Dropping thousands of special forces in the north causing massive havoc.
redc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote redc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 02:02
Well...
I think Both Korean will lose everything and be lost.
If Korean war is broken out again, Residents of North Korea will be suffered more and more by starving. And residents of South Korea will be suffered by damage of economical power.

Note, If it is broken out, both Korea will be lost and suffered by many things.
stupidumboy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 11:37

There was no SK destoyer involved on that sea battle.

They were all  guard ships and high speed patrol ships armed with 40 mm machine guns.

North Korean side were torpedo ships and partrol ships.
Two of them were sunk and they even could not do counter attack against  SK machine gun shots despite of the fact that they attacked SK patrol ship first.

Two of SK ships were hit by NK 27 mm naval guns but the damage was small , two NK ships were sunk and the rest were heavily damaged escaped. NK could do nothing to counter SK 120 per/min machine gun shot(they seemd busy to rotate naval guns).

7 number of SK navy soldiers were wounded (3 of them by NK grenade shot ) while over 50 NK soldiers were assumed to be dead.

NK 's military power cannot be compared to SK , in airforce and army too if you can check each main possed arms and their performance difference.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:04
Ok, so they weren't destoryers. My bad. I blame my math homework. It made be drowsy. (Just kidding, but they were really tiresome.)

Yes, North Korea dwarfs South Korea in terms of numbers. Plus, the quality of North Korean's weapon isn't that behind in terms of land armies. I mean, if Middle Eastern resistance could do that much to Americans... Gott knows what North Koreans can do.

Join us.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 17:20
No It really doesn't ROK has twice the population and god knows how bigger an economy and industry then North Korea

South Korea has 4.5 millon reservists it could mobilze in days
with an active Military force of around 650,000+

just because North Korea has more soldiers which are poorly trained, fed and equipped does not mean they will win a land war

the Quality of North Korean Equipment is god-awful with ROK's 2000+ MBT of mostly K1 (1048) K1A1 (200+) [offical number unknown could be as high as several hundred] M48A5K (850) A5 series considered to be superior to all of the early M60 MBT Models as well as T-80U (40)  and soon the K2 which will arguably be the best tank in the world and the best in Asia many MBT are now being equipped with ERA as well.  outlcasses every North Korean Tank hell, North Korea still has hundreds of T-34s most of its MBT's are T-54/55 along with T-62's and a hanful of
T-72s [ some people say they have no T-72's]

also thousands upon thousands of MANPADs, ATGM, and fire and forget AT weapons are more advanced by decades then anything the North Koreans have in quantity. North Korean Air Force and Navy are a joke. Much of its Artillary guns which are aimed at Seoul are WW2 era and a number of them haven't been moved to a significant distance since the 1970's!  Its BTR-40-60 and BMP-1s are Soviet Cold-War Trash one RPG-7 would destroy them. if South Korean soldiers had to retreat we would leave trucks full of food to halt the North Korean Advance :P
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 17:56
the only thing is the North Korean wmd..

even without nukes, their chemical weaponry is third after Russia and U.S.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 19:36
Originally posted by I/eye

the only thing is the North Korean wmd..

even without nukes, their chemical weaponry is third after Russia and U.S.

Really? You sure it's not Iran?

Join us.
Rhavas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhavas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 06:01
South Korea may appear to have advanced weaponry, but this is only in it's more elite units. Many of their tank battalion are armed with M-48 Pattons or M-60s, and Most of their other equipment like trucks are very old as well. I've see this with my own eyes, so I'm not just pulling this  out of my ass. These are about on par with the upgraded T-62s, and Type-59s  the North Koreans employ. Furthermore North Korean Soldiers serve for 7 years, and I'm asssuming have time to become well trained at their MOS. South Korean Soldiers serve for two, have a pathetic basic training, receive little effective training, and by the time they might have learned their job, they're leaving the army. Consider in the U.S. Army it takes years to create a gunner or tank commander, and the South Koreans are forced to do it with ill-trained conscripts with less than two years of experience. I do not, however believe North Korea could sustain itself once large amounts of U.S. reinforcements arrived in Theater, nor could it conquer all of South Korea before this happened. When the ROK army takes operational control of its forces in 2012 this could be a different story however, as I believe that will be an absolute diseaster for the national defense of South Korea.

Edited by Rhavas - 17-May-2007 at 06:02
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 07:22
It's true that South Korean military training is terrible as ever. My friend's older brother went to military... and he wanted out since all they really did is to clean the washrooms, and be insulted and beaten by the higher ranked people. Basically, the newcomers are just suffering to appease the higher ranked people. Many skip the training, except for newcomers... since the higher ranked people enjoys newcomers to suffer...Dead

Join us.
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 20:48

North Korea's Army has been on the decline since the mid 1990's. Kim Jong Il also knows that the massive size of his army has been a huge drain on the country's resources. This is one of the reasons that he is making nuclear weapons. He needs a credibal deterrent that doesn't suck up all his money.

The North Koreans usually serve 7-10 years in the Army. They get out when they are 27. Once they get out of the Army, they are usually sent to work in the coal mines for the rest of their lives.(this is why many soldiers defect). They are also forbidden from having wives, girlfriends, or having sex. Only Soldiers that have gone to the Academy to become officers can have wives. This is why there is widespread rape in nearby villages.

The North doesn't have the economic ability to sustain a war, and has no chance at ever reunifying Korea by force. Plus, if the North Korean soldiers ever invaded the south, they would immediately realize that their lives had been built on nothing but lies. They would see that the South is rich and prosperous and that North Korea is pathetically backward.
If a war ever came. I think it would only consist of the North, firing chemical weapons at the South.
The South's Army is pretty pathetic. The 2 years in the Army is nothing but an impediment to a career and a good life. It's a nussiance that most don't want to deal with. If they join the Army after Highschool, then they have to wait 2 years before they go to college. If they join the army after college, than they have to wait 2 years to start a career. Meanwhile, the women get a headstart in everything. As for the 4.5 million reserves, that is a laugh to think that they could simply go from their homes over to fighting a war on the DMZ in a couple of days. The bottom line is, South Korea needs the US alliance, at least until they can take control over the North's economy and government in a natural way.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 13:16
It's all about speed. Just like the old days when Germanay tried to conquer France. Time and speed is the key. If North can't conquer South in small periods of time, they are done for.

Join us.
Intranetusa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Intranetusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 20:35

It's true that South Korean military training is terrible as ever. My friend's older brother went to military... and he wanted out since all they really did is to clean the washrooms, and be insulted and beaten by the higher ranked people. Basically, the newcomers are just suffering to appease the higher ranked people. Many skip the training, except for newcomers... since the higher ranked people enjoys newcomers to suffer...Dead

damn, that sucks. :(
and here I thought Korean millitary trainning was the best in East Asia. Cry
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 21:43
Originally posted by Intranetusa

damn, that sucks. :(
and here I thought Korean millitary trainning was the best in East Asia. Cry

Well, that's how it is for many people who have to offer few years of their lifetime for their nation... it shows how... "patriotic" we are these days...

But don't get this wrong. These are for people who wants to leave military as earliest as possible. For those that actually want to have military career (Whether they want to be general or just a regular soldier) that actually get paid, they train seriously. Those people' training, I think, is the finest in entire Far East. The ones that I just mentioned are just barely militias... don't get me wrong. South Korean military training for those that get paid is impressive.

Join us.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 23:13
I believe that the best trained Armies in Asia are (not in order btw) R.O.C, R.O.K and Singapore's armed forces.

Actually American soldiers think very higly of ROK soldiers (nicknamed "ROCK" soldiers by US personal) mainly due to hardcore training not just elite units but regular ones as well, Also more modern equipment is coming into service and the old pattons are being retired which btw are superior to all of DPRK Tanks bar perhaps the T-72/T-80 as they are M48A5K series. The K-2 is the best tank in Asia and perhaps one of the best in the world along with German and Israeli tanks.

ROK troops have excellent physcial/physological training far better then most armies around the world. As it is America can't and wouldn't send any moajor aid if the 2nd Korean war broke out beyond air/naval support
(we dont need any help from US soldiers anyhow which are looked down upon for good reason)

the statements made about Koreas spoiled liberal youth is true however and the Quality of the armed forces is decreasing as such

( again late at night sloppy post sorry)
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 07:39
Koreans are just raised with beat-down culture that's all.  How many American teacher's gonna beat down a student because he's 5 mins late or didn't do he's homework or got D in the midterm or chewing a gum...... I had a gym teacher who brought an aluminum bat, and yes he used it.   That's just teachers, my middle school lunch hours were like stepping into the octagon, the heavy hitters always fought after school. Don't think you are safe at home either, depends on each family, some times your grandma slaps you.  You get lost in downtown walk into a Demo and you get gassed and then beat down.  It's tough to be a Korean, a lifetime training really.  You are born to roll with the punches. Just imagine, most of male teachers you have, two or more years of military service, how that would change the teacher-student relation.  It's a military culture the day you become a boy. So I wouldn't worry too much about their training.  Of course, it's probably not much different for North Korea.  If American teachers and parents start beating their kids, about one tenth of what Koreans do, their kids will read in kindergarten and start Calculus by 9th grade and become a world renown concert pianist and Stem Cell researcher by 24 .

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 07-Jun-2007 at 07:45
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 14:39
North Korean military is not that good. But on the other hand, sometimes quantity still counts. NK has enough artillery tubes with enough range to flatten most of South Korea in a bombardment that would only last a few hours, and there simply would be no time to rain enough destruction down from the air on those tubes in time to prevent it.

Artillery is a funny thing in modern war - the technology really hasn't changed that much since the late 19th century, and is still nearly as effective as it ever was, in certain circumstances.

Sometimes it is foolish to put too much stock in technology (or even training). It all depends on the situation, and in this case, it counts for much less than one might suppose. The South is in a difficult position. If it were not, North Korea would not be a menace but a mere pest, like Cuba.
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 17:57
North Korean military is not that good. But on the other hand, sometimes quantity still counts. NK has enough artillery tubes with enough range to flatten most of South Korea in a bombardment that would only last a few hours---

It certainly does have a long and large number of pieces and they would raise havoc certainly wihtin the first three hours but their range doesn't exceed 35 kilometers even with RAP rounds (and here i am adressing tube arty not missile) hence a bit of an over generalisation there my friend.

This also begs the issue of counterbattery and CAS/Rotary wing attack Avn assets, strikes which can be quite effective against any battery in the open. Which of course is a requirement in the first place even with cover and concealment. 

Likewize this presumes that the 'eyes in the sky' have gone to sleep and no notice of a major arty mob along the DMZ were not taking place.

Not Likely.

But in this para you have discerned an obvious truth that many times escapes the most astute and practiced mind; military or other. Because no mattter the criticality of training, tactics, doctrine, logistic, communications, security and political/military strategy, and they are all Key;

'sh*t happens'.

Well done.

Sometimes it is foolish to put too much stock in technology (or even training). It all depends on the situation, and in this case, it counts for much less than one might suppose. The South is in a difficult position. If it were not, North Korea would not be a menace but a mere pest, like Cuba.

Thanks

Lord Ranulf

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 07-Jun-2007 at 18:01
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>