Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eunuch ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eunuch ???
    Posted: 01-Jul-2012 at 19:05

Eunuch guarding a harem in Tunisia

Edited by Nick1986 - 01-Jul-2012 at 19:05
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:40
Where did the Arabic word "Harem" originate? It sounds very similar to "haraam" - forbidden
kofi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 21:11
Yes

Haram and harem same

Harem is part of the house where only husband and close relatives can enter so the women and kids can fee safe

Nowdays most servants in a rich mans harem are women

But in past times EUNUCHS  (khassi) also worked there

All African, all cut clean (majbub)

Today not so many!   Though I  am one
Kofi
Kofi
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 14:11
Castrates lack testosterone, and so are not prone to agression or combativeness and were therefore seen as trustowrthy in the presence of the ruling class.

It was also felt that removing all worldly temptation from a male made him a better and more focused servant.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 13:04
Top 10 Fascinating Eunuchs

http://listverse.com/2012/11/09/top-10-famous-eunuchs/

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 12-May-2013 at 13:05
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 19:51
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Castrates lack testosterone, and so are not prone to agression or combativeness and were therefore seen as trustowrthy in the presence of the ruling class.

It was also felt that removing all worldly temptation from a male made him a better and more focused servant.

Nevertheless, some eunuchs became admirals and generals, most notably the 6th century Roman commander Narses
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 22:43
Originally posted by Nick1986

Nevertheless, some eunuchs became admirals and generals, most notably the 6th century Roman commander Narses

Yep, and so did assorted homosexuals, idiots and various others with significant character disorders, physical disabilities and what have you.

There isn't anything sacred about becoming a general or an admiral, particularly in ancient times.

In fact, a lot of very disturbed people became rulers at various times, proving the old adage that such people are like cream...left alone, they rise to the top.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 22:45

The chief eunuch of the Turkish sultan's harem was black as Africans were deemed more trustworthy than whites. The operation involved all external genitalia being swept away with a razor blade, a metal or bamboo tube stuck into the wound, and the patient being buried up to his neck in hot sand. Only 10 percent survived 

I'm not surprised.  I would imagine that 90% of healthy people would die if treated that way.

The Chinese bound the wound up with rice paper and left it alone until it healed.  Most of the castrates survived.
Jinit View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 23:07

Castrates lack testosterone, and so are not prone to agression or combativeness and were therefore seen as trustowrthy in the presence of the ruling class.It was also felt that removing all worldly temptation from a male made him a better and more focused servant.

Malik Kafur who created havoc all over India was also an Eunuch in the service of Alla-ud-din khalji. He looted and destroyed many hindu temples. It is said that during his single campaign in south India he looted the wealth worth 250 tones of Gold and 700 elephants laden with treasury!!! (famous Koh-I-Noor being one of them ;) )
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 10:19
Le Van Duyet, the warlord of Southern Vietnam during the early 1800s was not only a eunuch but the major reason that Gia Long succeeded to the title of Emperor. Duyet adopted two sons. When his tomb was desecrated on royal order as a form of post-mortem punishment, his adopted son Le Van Khoi led a revolt that lasted nearly five years and came close to toppling the Nguyen dynasty.

So the Vietnamese kings and emperors also employed eunuchs.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12