Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

generals and kings who died in action?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: generals and kings who died in action?
    Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:24
King Gustavus The Great of Sweden. A true "warrior king", whom after creating the Swedish Empire, fell in battle at Luzon in 1632. At his death, Sweden was the third largest nation in europe, after Russia and Spain.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:28
Leonidas?

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 22:51
Originally posted by Penelope

King Gustavus The Great of Sweden. A true "warrior king", whom after creating the Swedish Empire, fell in battle at Luzon in 1632. At his death, Sweden was the third largest nation in europe, after Russia and Spain.

I doubt that Sweden was larger than Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1634 PLC had about 1 mio square km - therefore more than Russia. In 1632 it was a little bit less, still I think more than Sweden.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 01:02
King Cyrus the Great of Persians who was killed by Massagetae tribes.
Anfører
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 03:24
Originally posted by Suren

King Cyrus the Great of Persians who was killed by Massagetae tribes.

Has been stated in past posts.
What is the officer problem?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 17:52
yeah and it's called Lützen not Luzon which is a Philippine island...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 19:13
Originally posted by Majkes

I doubt that Sweden was larger than Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1634 PLC had about 1 mio square km - therefore more than Russia. In 1632 it was a little bit less, still I think more than Sweden.

At its height Sweden covered some 1 mn square km as well, although since most of it was forest it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 19-Nov-2008 at 19:14
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 19:36
Not a drum was heard, not a funeral note
As his corse to the rampart we hurried;
Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot
O'er the grave where our hero we buried.

We buried him darkly at dead of night,
The sods with our bayonets turning,
By the struggling moonbeam's misty light
And the lanthorn dimly burning.
Sir John Moore at Corunna.

Roving tho' his death fell, he went with heart at ease,
And dreaming all the time of Plymouth Hoe.
"Take my drum to England, hang it by the shore,
Strike it when your powder's running low;
If the Dons sight Devon, I'll quit the port o' Heaven,
And drum them up the Channel as we drummed them long ago."
Sir Francis Drake, Nombre Dios Bay.

Edited by gcle2003 - 19-Nov-2008 at 19:36
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 20:28
Kourosh-e-Bozorg 
Anfører
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 22:19
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Majkes

At its height Sweden covered some 1 mn square km as well, although since most of it was forest it doesn't really matter.

And You think that most of PLC were big citiesLOL? But everything counts when we take size of the country and forests are very precious now. I wonder if someone has any source cause there were few countries of similar size in that time: Sweden, Russia, PLC and Spain. I wonder which one was the biggest but situation was changing really quickly those times in Europe. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 10:34
James II of Scotland was killed at the siege of Roxburgh Castle when one of his own cannons suddenly exploded (which was a far more glorious death than the one meted out to his predecessor James I, who was assassinated in a sewer).
James III was killed at the Battle of Sauchieburn in 1488 by his own rebellious nobility.
James IV was killed at the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513 by the English.
macayana View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote macayana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2009 at 03:02
Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle, French cavalry general, killed at Wagram in 1809

Jean Victor Marie Moreau, one-time French general who defected to the Russians, killed at Dresden in 1813

Patrick Cleburne, Confederate general, killed at Franklin in 1864

Elon Farnsworth, Union cavalry general, killed at Gettysburg in 1863

sinbad8682 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sinbad8682 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2009 at 08:57

Hussein ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib... Killed in Battle of Karbala against the Umayiad caliphate, He was leading an uprising against there unjustice!

Galahadlrrp View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Galahadlrrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2009 at 14:29
--A few ancient commanders killed in action:
1. King Pyrrhus of Epirus--the origin of the term "Pyrrhic victory"--was killed by a roofing tile while capturing the city of Argos in a night attack in 272BC.
2. King Antigonus I Monophthalmus, one of the Successors of Alexander the Great, at the Battle of Ipsus in 301BC, the only battle he ever lost.
3. Gnaeus Servilius Geminus, surviving Roman Consul of 217BC, while commanding the Roman center at the Battle of Cannae in 216BC.
4. Caesar Flavius Claudius Julianus, better known as Julian the Apostate, died of wounds received while fighting off a raid on his troops retreating from Ctesiphon in June 363AD.
5. Caesar Constantine II, killed fighting against his brother Constans at the Battle of Aquileia in 340AD.
6. Basilius Nikephoros I of the Later Roman Empire, killed in 811AD at the Battle of Pliska.
7. Consul Gaius Atilius Regulus, killed at the Battle of Telemon in 225BC.

Edited by Galahadlrrp - 13-Apr-2009 at 15:59
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2009 at 16:23
Hello to you all

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this battle but the battle of Al-Qasr Al-Kabir (Alcaser Quibir) where three kings died (Sebastian I of Portugal, Abdul-Malik of Morocco and Abdullah the former King of Morocco). Now that is something:

Al-Jassas
Nickmard View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Nickmard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 17:25
Cyrus the Great. King of Kings, Achaemenid.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2009 at 08:33
Nǔ'ěrhāqí I, king of the Jurchens, and khan of the Jin. The founding father of the Manchu state, whom laid the foundation and groundwork for the conquest of china by the Qing dynasty. After a flawless military career, he was finally defeated at the battle of ningyuan, where he was wounded by a portuguese cannon. Unable to recover he died 2 days later at the age of 68.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2009 at 08:50
Originally posted by Klaus Fleming

James II of Scotland was killed at the siege of Roxburgh Castle when one of his own cannons suddenly exploded (which was a far more glorious death than the one meted out to his predecessor James I, who was assassinated in a sewer).
James III was killed at the Battle of Sauchieburn in 1488 by his own rebellious nobility.
James IV was killed at the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513 by the English.

LOLLOL
LOL
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2009 at 13:09
Perdikkas III. 368-359 BC king of Macedon.

He was killed along with 4.000 more Macedonians in a battle in Upper Macedonia ,against Bardyllis and his Illyrians.

Philip II succeeded him,revenged ...then it was Alexander's time and the rest are History.. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234