Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Turkey has a Bizantine Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Does Turkey has a Bizantine Identity
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [52.83%]
25 [47.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Turkey has a Bizantine Identity
    Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 22:41

The Turks conquered the Bizantine Empire in the 15th century.

I have always wonder what happened afterwards with the people of Bizantine population and its culture. Assimilation? Integration? Erasing everything and build from zero?

I am not thinking about religion, but of cultural traditions and the feeling of continuity.

Does the modern people of Turkey feel identify somehow with the Bizantine Empire, or the Greeks of Magna Greece in Ancient Greece whose lands where located in modern Turkey?

In short, does modern Turkey still has a Bizantine soul or not?

What do you think.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 27-Oct-2006 at 22:42
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 07:11
Uh..oh..
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 08:22
The main population of the Byzantine empire was Orthodox Greeks followed by Armenians and native Anatolian people(like Isaurians). A big part of those people were partially assimilated by the Ottomans but almost totaly the anatolians(Assyrians,Laz made it to survive).The Greek population and the Armenian managed to survive(partially)...until 1915-22.
The Greeks both Asian and Europeans had and have(more rare) as an ethnonym the word Romaios-Romios which is the Roman in greek. A name that "byzantines" used to identify themselves.

I don't think that the Ottomans showed themselves as continuers of a very christian empire but they didn't destroy totaly the past of the region. Mohamed when he conquered Constantinoupolis gave some freedom to the Patriarch and he manged to keep a symbolic continiuty calling himself Patriarch of Nova Roma and wearing the crown of the Byzantine emperors.
Turks brought a more asian culture in Anatolia but were affected from the previous cultures (byzantine in the west-armenian in the east) in music,cusine,local customs etc.

You confused Magna Graecia with Ionia.Magna Graecia is the area of South Italy(Napolis and souther) and Sicily and its the name introduced by the Romans characterise a area once believed that had more Greeks from Greece itself. If you mean the Ionian( Micrasiates) Greeks they feel the same with the rest of Greeks for the Romania(Ρωμανία) (Byzantine empire) expressed with oral traditions,prophicies etc for the glory of a important empire and espesially for Polis(the city).

I don't think that Turks wanted to continue such empire but wanted to reach the past power of it with a Turkish character.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 08:27
The term Byzantine was invented in the 16.century by a German humanist.

So I do not feel identity somehow with Byzantine..

But As a  Turkish guy, I do feel some identity with the East Roman Empire.

Their capital,current Istanbul, is one of the most important cities of Christianity...Maybe one of the most important two!

So I do take pride in the fact that that city is within the territories of my country Smile

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 08:40
Of course it does like allmost all of europe has roman identity or the byzantines who lived in asia minor had assyran and hittie identity
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:05
The Empire's Greek name was Ρωμανία, Rōmana, or Βασιλεία Ρωμαίων, Basilea Rōmaōn, a direct translation of the Latin name of the Roman Empire, Imperium Romanorum. The term Byzantine Empire was introduced in western Europe in 1557, inspired from the city of Byzantium by German historian Hieronymus Wolf as Patrinos said.
The term Byzantium may be defined as a multi-ethnic empire that emerged as a Christian empire, soon comprised the Hellenized empire of the East and ended its 1000 year , in 1453. The continuity of the Byzantine Culture was the Ottoman Empire.
But with a big diffrenceLamp
Turkish historians attached great importance to "Osmans Dream" and its supposed significance in the foundation of the Empire. The dream is also an example of medieval Turkish oral tradition. So the "Osmans Dream" has any relative identity to the "Byzantine"" ?Confused 

in my opinion No.

Edited by akritas - 28-Oct-2006 at 09:07
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:07
The continuation:

The Turkish cuisines, the Turkish folk music and the Turkish folk dances are almost 2500 years old and hence the continuation of the culture in the Byzantine era. And also the Turkish place names are mainly from archaic times.

The feeling of continuation:

Majority of Turkish people think that their culture is somewhat a variation of central asian Turkic tradition. And due to their ideology, majority of Turkish people has no sympathy to Byzantine empire and its culture. And according to Turkish history books, the Byzantine Empire was the pustule of the Ottoman State, which had to be destroyed.

In short, the Byzantine-Ottoman relation is extremely arguable.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:09

Please, could you explain me?

I am a Latino and Turkey is a mysterious place for me. In my culture we know a lot about Arabs, Persians, Maghrebians and other Muslim peoples, and also about Jews particularly Sephardites. But somehow Turkey is a mysterious place for us that we know only because the battles against the West and from Western sources that usually have some negative biass.

Let me give you an example. It is know there was an important intellectual movement in the Bizantine empire, that included book manufacturing and trading, architecture and weapon manufacturing. What happen with them after the fall of Constantinopla? How they got integrated to the Turk society? Does the cart racing stopped? Was musical writing forgotten? Is there continuity in science and literary creations, in architecture, in the administration of goverments, in some arts?

Pinguin

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:56
Romania(byzantine empire) kept the light of the ancient Greek culture live. Byzantine music is considered the inheritor of ancient greek music and it has obvious influence in turkish classic music.
The byzantine architecture hasn't stopped but it can be seen in the christian temples of Minor Asia and in mosques like Blue Mosque.
The Greek spirit couldn't survive under a Ottoman domain so important scholars migrated to Italy where they played a key role to the Renaissance:( Gemistus Pletho , Johannes Bessarion, George Scholarios., Manuel Chrysoloras,Constantine Lascaris,Marcus Musurus,John Argyropoulos,Laonicus Chalcondyles etc.

In art like painting I don't see any continiuty,in reverse lots of paintings in churches were destroyed(seeHagia Sophia)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:56
I would say probably. After all, Most modern day Turks are mostly Turkified locals. The links to the land are always there.

I feel a great affinity for the Greek Kings who ruled here in Sirkap and txila. Our culture is very different. But the affinity is there,

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:59
Out of topic: Sparten are there any oral traditions for these Greek kings?I think they were there  lots of years after Alexander's death.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:06
Yes. The most famous is Menander's supposed conversion to Buddism and his dislouge with Biddhist monks as recorded Milhada Patna.

The scholors I have read feel its a tradition inventedlater on, as menander was quite a Greek pagan.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:33

Sparten I'm glad that there is such tradition,I think its a proove for the character of the diadoch's greek kingdoms which respected very much the local traditions and religions. I think there are some Budha's statues wearing greek clothes.

Back to the present thread:
I think that Turks are a little bit confused about theirs origins. If they choose to claim a 4000 continius presence in Anatolia (see prototurks,trojans etc) they afraid to be called turkified greeks,armenian,kappadokians etc, and if they choose the central asian origins they afraid that they would be called as invanders and newcomers...

Edited by Patrinos - 28-Oct-2006 at 11:15
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:41
Originally posted by Patrinos

I think that Turks are a little bit confused about theirs origins. If they choose to claim a 4000 continius presence in Anatolia (see prototurks,trojans etc) they afraid to be called turkified greeks,armenian,kappadokians etc, and if they choose the central asian origins they afraid that they would be called as invanders and newcomers...

I think that the issue for Historians should rather be what exactly happened in the past, than fantastic choices of Turks. And I also think that history is confusing itself, what happened in the past is chaotic. Byzantine-Ottoman relations, for instance. The main story looks clear but the details show utterly different perspectives that make you realize that the history of humanity is actually more complicated than you thought. Therefore I do not accept neither "Yes, Turkey has byzantine roots" nor "No, absolutely not."  I do not accept these kind of simplifications on History, that is one of the roots of historical ignorance.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:46
Well, that's a good argument. Could you ilustrate with examples?

As a Latino I have concience of two major invasion in our own history: the Muslim invasion of Spain and the Spanish invasion of the Americas. In both cases the invaded cultures and peoples didn't disappear at all but assimilated and the societies transformed in new syncretic forms.

I suspect something similar could have happened in Turkey: assimilation and fusion of peoples and cultures. Am I wrong?

Pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 15:02
Originally posted by Patrinos

Sparten I'm glad that there is such tradition,I think its a proove for the character of the diadoch's greek kingdoms which respected very much the local traditions and religions. I think there are some Budha's statues wearing greek clothes.

Strictly speaking Menader was not a Diadochi kingdom. No actually there was a great influx of greeks into what is now N Pakistan. They setup many cities. They brought there own traditions, and the place remained Greek Pagan for centuries. Buddhism was alternativly seen as a threat (since the oppsing kingdoms were all Buddhist) and tolerated. Menader was the greatest of all the Greek Kings, he claimed desent from Leondias and Apollo.

Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:08
Pinguin;
Firstly ; the local population and The Orthodox Patriarchy have not been touched and their identities are saved .
Such a preservation that could locate Romans and Turks with together .
Ionian-Armenian churches and Muslim mosques have all been situated in Istanbul , and of course the Bureaucratic system of Byzantine is transfered to Ottoman Sultanate . Therefore ; The Multi cultural structure can not be determined by misleading deflections by calling the WORD " ASSIMILATION " .
There are 5000 + Greeks who live in Istanbul today . 
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:32
That's quite interesting. So there is a continuity in the Bureaucratic system as well. One of the things I admire of Turkey is precisely its tolerancy with minorities. Particularly, they received lots of Spanish Jews (Sephardites who speak Ladino) that were expelled from intolerant Spain in the XVI century.

Well, I used the world "assimilation" in a possitive sense as it is though in my culture, on which means "integration". It was not my intention to offend, anyways.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 28-Oct-2006 at 20:33
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:33
Pinguin
The Turks conquered the Bizantine Empire in the 15th century.

No, the Turks conquered Constantinople in the 15th century, they had been in the borders of modern-day Turkey for 5-6 centuries before as rulers and as fighters of the Muslim armies (Arab ruled) in the 8-9th Centuries which were within the borders of modern-day Turkey.

Pinguin
I have always wonder what happened afterwards with the people of Bizantine population and its culture. Assimilation? Integration? Erasing everything and build from zero?

The area didn't have a huge population, centuries of war, most people lived in small protected areas with impressive defense systems, a great example would be the Christians of Cappadocia and their Cave-Network.

Everyone under the Byzantine Empire in Turkey wasn't Greek, there were smaller seperate communities and nations. They became a minority to the Turkic majority (as seperate nation/ethnic groups), those in this situation gradually assimilated into the Turkic majority and influence.

The powerfull nations like Greeks did not get assimilated, they had a written language, ruling elite, institutions and so on. The Greek's or \"Rum" remained Rum, they were allowed to have their schools, their Patriarch practically had a state within a state. The Rum's leader in the Ottoman's was the Patriarch.

Integration was easy, being a Turk wasn't based upon "race", when Turks entered what is today's Turkey they had a confederacy of tribes and Clans, they mixed with locals and those who wanted to become part of them were allowed to. Basically, if they married and joined a tribe which would change their whole lifestyle and culture after a single generation, adopted Islam as their religion (however, loosely this was, the initial Turks who entered had interpretations all of their own, there are many examples of Heretic leaders who would have Christian, Muslim, Pagan followers basically because they'd go around saying, "we all believe in the same god, were being oppressed by these rulers let the people unite".)  and decided to join and represent the Turks they could easily do so. They were very successfull, it was quite pragmatistic.

Pinguin 
I am not thinking about religion, but of cultural traditions and the feeling of continuity.

Well religion heavily influenced cultural traditions. The Byzantium peasentry was won over by the Turks. They could identify more with the Turkic tribes who had just entered more. If they joined the Turks they had a chance of being important, having power/respect and had a chance of getting wealthy. Plus add to this the many Turkic semi-Tengrist-Christian-Muslim and every other religion in the region leaders who mixed up everything and gained huge support among the common folk for this really tolerant view and ideals. A new beginning for many of the poor working class happened.

There are many examples, of Byzantine warriors and working class joining the Turks.

Does the modern people of Turkey feel identify somehow with the Bizantine Empire, or the Greeks of Magna Greece in Ancient Greece whose lands where located in modern Turkey?

Not at all, remember most people in any Empire don't really feel as if they're part of a Royal family which is ruling them. Most of the population in Byzantium times were rural folk who were uneducated. The same was the case for the Ottomans. All that changed was the Priest for the Imam. Other than that, the ordinary people didn't have much to do with the ongoings of the court in either the Byzantiums or the Ottomans.

Its only an issue today, in an era of mass-education we all know something about our history and see it of importance for our identity. Thus Greeks feel more bonded to the Byzantines and Turks to the Ottomans.

Pinguin 
In short, does modern Turkey still has a Bizantine soul or not?

For a Rum of Turkey it does, for a Turk it doesn't, its a subjective matter. How do you measure a soul of a country?

In short, Turks in Turkey feel a stronger bond to Central Asia and rightly so, why? because their language, identity, culture, historical and national root is Central Asia, so its natural for them to have this perception. Race does not represent Nationhood/Ethnicity, do you know there are 500,000 people of Black African (Sudanease, Nubian, Somalian) descent, who today are and feel Turks. We cannot use "race" as a determiner, Turks did not have a forced assimilation policy so those who are Turks became so either by mixing with ethnic Turks, Pax-Ottomanica, or freely assimilating into Turkish culture. They feel a strong bond and allegience to Central-Asia and regard it of higher importance than Eastern Roman's who they don't sympathise with much at all.

Regards

Edited by Bulldog - 28-Oct-2006 at 20:47
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:53
There are 5000 + Greeks who live in Istanbul today .
I can't believe what I'm reading.First there are less than 3500 thousands Greeks in Constantinoupolis today BUT in 1950 for example were more than 160000. What happened???They assimilated or they are in Greece now?? Why did you write this?? To show how much tollerant Turkey is with minorities??
Why do you hesitate to call the Ionians Greeks,it hears to you better???LOL(I've noticed in a turkish govermental website to call the Greek colonists Aegean colonistsLOL). Ok I'm fine with that term. What do you mean with "Ionian-Armenian churches and Muslim mosques have all been situated in Constantinoupolis" Aren't there hundreds of orthodox greek churches all over Minor Asia as far as Caesaria(Kappadokia)????
Anatolia had a  totaly christian population and many ethnic groups: Greeks,Armenians,Isaurians,Assyrians,Galatians,Paphlagonians,
Kappadokians,Lydians,Frygians,Karians and many others. Are they still there?Are they still christian? How many were the Turks who migrated from central Asia to Anatolia??? If you don't accept the assimilation point of view,why do the majority of Turks have non-turkic characteristics but different depending from the region. Do Turks of Konya look the same with Smyrna Turks??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>