Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards
    Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 19:21
I modified the hint to de-personalize it. I think it's a bit unfair to inclue personal references since the reader might not be familiar. Also, I had to clarify the "prince" portion because the reader might not be entirely familiar with the definition of that word. I didn't want the hint to be too unclear on a vocabulary definition.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:12
There were too few questions about European history Angry
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 23:39
hmm I don't think there was 'too few' questions about European History, i mean it's good to deliver a wide range of questions in and International quiz.Approve But yes i wouldnt have minded some more European HistoryCool
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 23:42
Now, to comment over the questions:

1 to 4 was quite easy..

5th one, I remembered from a book named "History of Colonialism"

6th was easily found after a Wikipedia search.

7th was easy either..First I said Persians but later I got what is meant.

8th made me think that it was a European leader on the first hand...So I thought about Eastern Bloc countries..But then, it was saying "young" at the time and a leftist statesman giving name to a city, Ho Chi Minh struck to my mind, though I didn't know about his deeds in Europe, then I checked and made sure.

I found the answer for the 9th in the very first minute after "bloodline" stuff...

10th would need some thinking

12th, I should have got that...Dammit..Was not so hard...Though I wrote Valens, moving from Battle of Adrianople

13th, Marie De Medici also exactly fit this explanation except the "emperor crowned in West" part.I had gone for Marie de Medici in that.

14th, I wrote Dagobert for this, who had the Burgundian throne after the French, but distance didn't allow me to think about Henry III..I was thinking that it would be a close place.

15th, when it is said novel, and end of dominance, Last of Mohicans came to my mind immediately, then it wasn't hard to find the rest.

16th, the reformer was clear, the despot was arguable

18th, no way that I could have found that out..Hard one!

19th, foreign invader was a good hint that enlightened the way.And then the brothers were found in a small search.

20th, lowly of birth...Great detail about the caste system...Great!

I think the level of quiz was pretty good..A harder one would make us bored, and we shall not take Decebal as a measure when preparing the quizzes LOL

I think I was somewhat very close on Mila's question, but couldn't throw into the right hole.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 00:56
The Matrix is reloaded!  Scores updated!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 01:31
humm too bad just missed your update( worked too late today) . guess I'll have to wait until tommorrow
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 03:32
Originally posted by Poirot

hmmm, I suppose this means I still got mila's question wrong.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 03:34
Oh well, I especially enjoy such questions where I can see from the text that they are somewhat difficult;

as in the one where the answer was Batu Khan: I thought about Tamerlane and then to Bato Khan, immediately after reading the question and it was a magnificent stab in the dark, although the chances were high that I would miss.

And the 13th was also great: the Emperor in the West settled things for once and for good. And if it were 800, then I'd know the Byzantine monarch who was female and so fit it. Again some twenty seconds.

But please, Decebal, explain, how did you exactly find out that it was him? Actually tell me after the quiz has ended, as I just now found out it is still on.

Edited by rider - 29-Oct-2006 at 03:55
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:30
The Matrix (scoreboard!) is reloaded!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:34
I may kill myself for not answering question 10. When I first saw it I thought to myself, probably the Frankenstein woman, and then completely forgot about it.

The rest were out of my reach. I should maybe have got Ho Chi Minh but I thought Gandhi was at Versailles - and overlooked he wouldn't have been 'young' at the time.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 06:38
Originally posted by gcle2003

I may kill myself for not answering question 10

NOOOO! Don't kill yourself!

hmmm think i may have come across answer to Q17..keeping my hopes up Embarrassed

zomg..lots more people on 16points now!
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 07:13
Sorry but i cant understand something in question 11.What begin with the letter "Z",the tribe or the leader.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 07:31
Krum, I do think that they mean that the tribe began with a 'Z'.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 10:03
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 13:07
That's it for Total Quiz XIII! Tentative final scores have been posted.
Wink I hope you all had fun with this one!

Please vote for your favorite question

Also, stay tuned for the awards ceremony that is to follow!

Question 11
In the 15th century, I rose from a very religious upbringing to become leader of a powerful tribe whose name begins with the letter "Z." We conquered a major city with a name similar to the surrounding landscape. Other famous warriors have come from the country this city is now capital of, though not many have been honorable. Who am I? (Question by Mila)
Answer: Sharifa Fatima
Question 17
I lived in a dark century of conflicts and wars around Europe. I still managed to do many impressive things to ensure my security. A composer and artist died in the year in which I was born, both of whom have also made their name famous enough to be known amongst the wise and unknown amongst all others. During my time of rule, I had to fight and was soon defeated by my enemy. Then I surrendered to another of my enemies whom I had fought previously and whom my state had fought many times previously. The enemy was also an enemy of my enemy so I became one of the most loyal servants of my previous enemy. I later on became a great prince and served my former enemy loyally and my successors governed the same territories until my successors were defeated by our common enemy that I had fought before. Who am I? (Question by Rider)
Answer: 1) I am Gotthard Kettler, the last Grand Master of the Livonian Order. Elsewhere, the name may be spelt as Goddart. The territory he governed was the Duchy of Courland

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Oct-2006 at 14:58
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 13:33
Sharifa Fatima conquered Sana'a, but it is not the name of the "whole" region, I believe..

I thought about Tunisia/Tunis, Algeria/Algiers, Tripoli/Tripolitania in this case, and especially the Zayyanid Dynasty of Algeria and Zenata Berbers of North Africa but couldn't find the right answer.

Edited by Kapikulu - 29-Oct-2006 at 13:39
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 13:39
Is Zaydi a tribe?I think it is a school or a sect.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 13:48

Ahh sheesh: I actually looked at Sana'a as one of the cities that would have been conquered in the 15th century, but I didn't find any info on that period and Sana'a...

rider, I don't understand your question: what do you mean how did I find out it was him? In what question? If we're talking about the question you asked: I had a feeling it was the Baltic region all along, but I initially got the century (17th) wrong, so I was coming up with all these Polish princes...

Good job everyone. especially knights and praetor: I don't remember seeing you guys on the quiz before: very nice first showing!
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:02
Thanks Decebal Smile
But well done to yourself too, you're the ultimate champ - super effort in quiz!!! Clap

Edited by Knights - 29-Oct-2006 at 14:06
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:06
al-Zaydi is a tribe.  Zaydism is a sect.

Good job everyone, nice turn out!  I wish i had more time to spend on the round one questions though, i've been busy busy busy.

Decebal, i made the same mistake on riders question too.   Nice job btw. 

Nice quiz!

Edited by kilroy - 29-Oct-2006 at 14:07
Kilroy was here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>