Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Similarities between Turks and Mongols

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similarities between Turks and Mongols
    Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 22:09
- Both were shamanists
- Both were excellent horsemen
- Both were excellent archers
- Both were steppe nomads.

I am not saying that we are the same people. The ancient Turks and ancient Mongols however have many similarities. Are there more similarities?
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 00:28
I think both rulers know as Khan as well .
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 01:33
Words similar between Turkish and Mongolian: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~corff/im/Sprache/hugjilt.unx
We were both also believers in Tengri.  The list can probably go on forever, back in the day we were so close the only way you can probably tell the difference between us were our languages, which, at that time, were maybe understandable between us.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 02:33
I always say we are cousins =)
Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 05:21
Both have a legend about graywolf i think.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by Turk Nomad

I always say we are cousins =)
Me too.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by Turkoglu

Both have a legend about graywolf i think.
 Yea we both do, there are a couple differences though.  I think Mongols say blue wolf instead of grey wolf and Ergenekon is part of their myth but I think Ergenekon is a river in the Mongol myths.
-Ziya Gokalp-
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 20:56

Turks and mongols are same people,Just look at Kazaks.Also Turkish have some similarities to Korean, but really not to much close .

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 21:57
Just look at Tuva and Sahas
Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 06:15
Originally posted by Feramez

Yea we both do, there are a couple differences though.  I think Mongols say blue wolf instead of grey wolf and Ergenekon is part of their myth but I think Ergenekon is a river in the Mongol myths.

A blue wolf leads Oguz Kagan's army whoes name is GkBr, in the legend.

Edited by Turkoglu - 26-Oct-2006 at 06:17

borudjin View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote borudjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 07:54
my friends you should know that the mongols were a turkic tribe. nowadays peope call the inhabitans of mongolia( who are mostly turngusic peoples who later adopted the turkic language) as the mongols. however, peoples like the kazaks have direct ancestry from gengiz khan(jani beg was ogeday khans grandson or something, my grandpa had the chart in oskemen somewhere but i forgot to take it). the mongols were also called tatars. the tatars(also part of my kin) still exist.what do you say? the genghis khan mongols were turks, anyway most of the peoples in the ordus were conquered peoples such as the kirghiz who were turks anyway. the evil westerners have once confused everyone.
Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 09:13

Mongols and Tatars are different, Tatars are the descent of Kipchaks.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 09:26
Originally posted by borudjin

my friends you should know that the mongols were a turkic tribe. nowadays peope call the inhabitans of mongolia( who are mostly turngusic peoples who later adopted the turkic language) as the mongols. however, peoples like the kazaks have direct ancestry from gengiz khan(jani beg was ogeday khans grandson or something, my grandpa had the chart in oskemen somewhere but i forgot to take it). the mongols were also called tatars. the tatars(also part of my kin) still exist.what do you say? the genghis khan mongols were turks, anyway most of the peoples in the ordus were conquered peoples such as the kirghiz who were turks anyway. the evil westerners have once confused everyone.
Mongols were not Turks, they were always Mongols.
-Ziya Gokalp-
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 13:23
Originally posted by Tamerlane

- Both were shamanists
- Both were excellent horsemen

- Both were excellent archers

- Both were steppe nomads.

I am not saying that we are the same people. The ancient Turks and ancient Mongols however have many similarities. Are there more similarities?

In which period? before the ancestors of Mongol people came from the forest land, they were not shamanist, they didn't know how to ride horse, they might be good archers, as they were hunters, they were not steppe nomads.

Dongghu migration to the east driven by Huns caused the social change among Mongolic tribes, and we had the later nomadic mongol people called "Tartar" (not to be mixed with the present turkic people "Tatar"). This Mongolic people had a lot in common with Turkic people as you mentioned above. However, if we go back earlier historical period, we will see the the close connection between eastern Iranic people and Turkic people:     

Both warshiped sky and sun. (Tengrism)
Both were excellent horsemen.
Both were excellent archers.
Both were steppe nomads.

Just as many Mongolic people became part of later Turkic people, many eastern Iranic people became part of Turkic people.

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 13:29
Originally posted by shinai

Turks and mongols are same people,Just look at Kazaks.Also Turkish have some similarities to Korean, but really not to much close .

This is just senseless. You shouldn't look at any group to determine that, as you don't have any reference. Qazaq, Tuva or Saka all are very much mixed with the neighbouring groups just as other groups do. What you should do is to search the ancient history of these people.

Either make a history or become a history.
 Post Reply Post Reply