Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New art of war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New art of war
    Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 21:17
A distinguished English former general came today to speak at my uni and here are a few things he said about the type of war he says will replace industrial total war and that he calls "war amongst the people".

1) The aim is not a victory any more but a better position to negotiate.

2) The war may well become "timeless" as negociation is not as effective as victory.

3) The winning side is the side with the best narrative that manages to convice the medias and the world's opinion he won.

4) No clear cut between civilian and military.

5) No clear cut between state and non-state.

6) A kind of divorce between the strategic level (moral and ethic and PR) and the operational level (effectiveness ready to make alliance with unPC players to achieve their goals).

He also mentionned the fact there is a very important phenomenon going on: the resources of the military are shrinking: no more conscription, no more permanently open assembly lines (the tanks destroyed in Irak and the helicopter in Afghanistan are not replaced).

What do you think about it?
I am a free donkey!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 05:20
In many ways this seems a step back in time to pre-total war days.

If we look at point 3 and think of Ramases publicity about his victory after the battle of Kadesh. Point one was always the tradition in war before Napoleon came along, you took enemy cities to give you something to negotiate with at the peace table.

Also when one thinks of medieval times and groups such as the Free Company point 5 comes to mind, and sieges like Saragossa point 4.

Edited by Paul - 18-Oct-2006 at 05:20
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 07:00
The guy was also saying that instead of a linear process: everything's fine,  diplomatic crisis, war, diplomatic resolution, everything's fine; there would be a mix of the three: life goes on + armed conflict + talks.

It also reminded me of the pre-modern art of war. But to an extend it is still different in the sense that it is less likely to have a real battle. In a sense its going to look more like mediterranean-style vendettas at a bigger scale.

I jump on the occasion to tell you a bit more about vendettas (also I am sure many other nations have their own tradition in that).
The main principle is that it is highly ritualised and potentially endless. It usually starts (in Corsica) when a young man touchs the hair of a girl. The girl's father cannot think of any worst insult made to his daughter so he has no other choice than taking his gun and kill the young man (usually in the back while this one doesn't expect any thing).
After that he has to run in the country side to escape the police and the young man's older brother or father. Ultimately one day he'll be killed in the back too. And so on. Entire clans have been destroyed like that. But it is not exactly senseless as usually the two clans were already political or economic foes. Usually after five or ten kills the priest of the village (when he doesn't use the guns himself) will manage to set up an agreement by which the loser accepts to give up a field, a donkey, a political position (whatever) in exchange for the end of the massacre and the ability of the hidden men to come back.
Normally the agreement is garanteed by another clan. Clans that can't fight by themselves use bandits or even policemen to do the dirty job.

Just imagine that at a larger scale.
I am a free donkey!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 07:41
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Good point...I think that is because the new world order today...The people and the states can not risk more men to die in wars, due to public pressure, and the everyone started to look things on short-term basis, I mean, things are developing in short-term basis rather than long term...
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 15:51
Originally posted by Maharbbal

The guy was also saying that instead of a linear process: everything's fine,  diplomatic crisis, war, diplomatic resolution, everything's fine; there would be a mix of the three: life goes on + armed conflict + talks.

It also reminded me of the pre-modern art of war.

I think you have a n excellent poin in the vendetta analogy.  One author I read described it as Check Point War  /  Check Point Culture.  His description went like this

A. Perpetual, intertwined and often pointless conflict by armed factions causes entire society (societies in West Africa) to collapse
B.  All governmental functions either cease or are carried out by armed groups
C.  These armed groups set up rival permament check points as a means of generating income and often dictate pointless and contradictory demands on civilians

Eventually, a Check Point Culture develops  " I run a Check Point...  therefore I am.   I have no obligation to society except my Check Point.   My Check Point is my rason de etre.   I will do this forever."

There is no more nation, jst a society of checkpoints engaged in vendetta conflicts.

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Oct-2006 at 16:21
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 17:02
Okay, my interpretation

First, I find a biased in the generals thinking. Point number 2 says that wars will become timeless because negotiations are not as effective as victory.

First, this assumes that a military victory can bring to and end a conflict. This is not always true. Take Israel, for example. It has won many military victories, but the conflict keeps on going since the reasons for the conflict fail to be resolved.

He also seems to ignore what the point of negotiation is. The point of negotiation is to find a solution that both people can live with, addressing the two needs of the two parties. In fact, most modern wars end up with a negotiation in the form of the terms of surrender. :

Vendettas were brought up. I am glad, not only because it fits the model that the general talks about, but because it illustrates also how conflict ends up in negotiation. You may have noticed that vendettas also end up with negotiation.

There are some problems that are difficult to negotiate. Take the issue with the nation of Israel. Or look at the problems of Northern England. But lets also be aware that war hasnt solved anything either. In many ways, war and violence only have made negotiations worse.

I will address the winning side issue in another post.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 19:43
I'm afraid I do not agree with hugoestr.

Victory DOES bring peace but victory is rarely reached. Germany and Japan were defeated and the reasons of the conflict deseapeared. Now take the 1973 Israeli-Arab war; Israel did enjoyed succeses only too start negociating. As no clear victory was reached, the result is a timeless war. The only hope is not to see the negociation solving the problem (at best it will reach a point where no player could be better off with out another being comparatively worse) but for the problem to disappear by itself. Otherwise you'll have the same situation as in eastern Africa. War, then negociation, then war again enlessly.

The same with vendetta, they'll never end unless their very cause ends with them (death of the main protagonists, wedding...).

Most of the wars we see today have been on for at least a decade when it is not half a century.

If you compere Korea and Vietnam the difference is mighty clear. Korea negociation in 1945, war in 1950, negociation in 1953, cold war since. Vietnam: war until 1954, negociation, war again until 1975, clear victory, no more war. And there are scores of examples.

Actually I've tried to think of one 100% effective negociation and couldn't find one. Does this mean there should be none? Nope it means that if you can destroy the adversary do it, but it is unlikely you'll ever manage to achieve this aim, so may as well negociated and be ready to fight again. A bit like 15th-16th c. Italy or 17th-18th c. Europe.
I am a free donkey!
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 19:44
I think this general is correct in describing aspects of non-total war, and as Paul mentioned, these maxims in various forms applied to many earlier times.  I still think total war's maxims are not outdated, they simply don't apply to any of the wars being fought as of now, which is sensible.

Given the short memory of most populations, I think this kind of explains why people and the media today think "war has changed".  We compare modern wars to the recent wars, and for our generation, the two most memorable historical wars have been the world wars, which were of the historically uncommon total war variety.  We fail to remember that there has been 6,000 years of human history and therefore humans killing each other, it is highly unlikely that anything in modern and future human war (apart from technological aspects) could not find a counterpart in some other conflict of the past.
Member of IAEA
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 06:20
I agree with Genghis.
The small wars fought now by Britain and US cannot be compared to the total wars (which are they really? only WWII can be classified as a TRUE total war).

About what the general said:
That is a stupid comment. A better position to negotiate is the DEFINITION of victory. You think in all previous wars nations were eliminating each other? No, apparently. The aim in every war is to oblige the enemy accept your positions. After some defeats and some losses, the defeated will realize that he can no longer achieve victory, and the cost of continuing the war is higher that accepting the enemy's positions.
World war one did not end in the battlefield, but on the table of negotiations.
the resources of the military are shrinking: no more conscription, no more permanently open assembly lines
If World war III broke out now things would change instantly.
Conscription has not existed in neither Britain nor USA, still they were able to muster millions of troops in times they needed.
Conscription means readiness for the army. Because all civilians are also trained soldiers.
And conscription exists very well in many nations.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 07:45
What the guy was saying was that for the last 50 years armies were ready for a total war see Iran-Iraq or Ethiopia-Somalia. See also, Panama 1990: no negociation. Consider the Western answer to modern terrorism: no negociation.

Furthermore, Western armies are still in a victory-seeking scheme and are not suited for other kind of wars which, he says, often requires a alliance between army and justice departement, the rule of  law becoming as important as the rules of engagement. Here the best example is Guantanomo: what if instead of making prisonniers the way an American soldier use to in WWII they had been more inspired by LAPD techniques, they would have hard evidences and hence much less problems. Still the general's point of view.

Well once more I refer to what the general have said. 1) US tanks and UK helicopters cannot be replaced once they are destroyed in Iraq or Afghanistan 2) He gave the example of desert strom, the English sent ALL their tanks and their mission was to bring them all back. So no total engagement. It doesn't mean that if the US were attacked by China they wouldn't use total war.

Incidently it reminds me a discussion in another thread: what the future tanks would look like. I had mention the english MkI, the very first tank, the more I think about it the more I think it may well be the case. The necessary caracteristics of the new tank wouldn't be to be as fast as possible or to have the biggest gun but to be almost undestructible, to protect men's life inside and to fight in a non-tank-friendly environment (forest, urban, jungle). In a way a cube specially designed to fight infantry or non-armoured vehicules, room for foot soldiers inside, a short and big gun able to take down a building if needed. And the thickest armour ever.
I am a free donkey!
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 07:53
This will be the case only in a war between equals not one like US-Iraq etc..
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 09:46
I have no problem with disagreement. It is through these that we learn.

I am not too familiar with Japan, so I will focus on Germany.

After WWI, there was a clear winner and a clear loser. According to the belief that military victory brings peace, the conflict should have ended here. But it didnt. The military didnt make a mistake; they soundly won over Germany. The problems came as the result of a failure in fair negotiations after defeat.

The needs of the victors, as it normally is the case, were reached easily. But not the needs of the defeated, especially when it comes to saving face. The peace negotiators in WWI concentrated in punishing and humiliating Germany. This humiliation at the terms later fueled the rise of Nazism in Germany, bringing what could be considered the second part of a conflict that wasnt solved correctly in the first place.

I want to stress the issue of the Marshall Plan and its role in creating peace with former enemies. The Marshall plan was a respectful way of rebuilding former enemies. It brought economic prosperity and a certain level of self-respect back to Germany. By respecting the enemy and having a fair term, the conflict came to an end.

Vietnam is a great case of negotiations bringing and end to two foreign wars where the issue is foreign occupation. In 1954 a peace treaty between France and North Vietnam was signed, and France left Vietnam. It later was refueled when the Americans broke several of the peace agreements and became active participants of the war.

North Vietnam couldnt bring total defeat on the U.S. The U.S. has better equipment and better trained soldiers. At the same time, the U.S. couldnt successfully defend South Vietnam without the help of the population. This military standstill could have gone on for a longer time. We could still be involved in the war if our leaders had chosen to do so. The same results would have come from it, but the costs in lives and money would have been a lot higher.

The U.S. needed to a way to get out saving face. That solution was the Vietnamization of the conflict. This allowed for the U.S. to keep a certain level of dignity when they left Vietnam. With negotiations, the never ending armed conflict ended.

Vendettas end with negotiation. In fact, vendettas are bloody negotiations. You take one person from me; I will take one from you. It keeps going until, through negotiation, some terms for ending it are reached, such a payment, a marriage, or some public display. Again, both parties in a vendetta must save face. If there is a clear loser, this humiliation will refuel the vendetta again.

The Cold War started right after WWII as the result of the rise of the Soviet Union as a world power. In fact, the Cold War was an excellent example on how negotiation prevented a real war between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Crisis after crisis, negotiators kept peace, until an expensive war and the expense of military building brought economic ruin to the Soviets and the end to their power.

Of the many negotiations at the time, the Cuban Missile Crisis is probably the most famous one. At the time, the U.S. had nuclear missiles in Turkey. The U.S. had just botched an invasion to Cuba, and Castro was actively courting the Soviets to protect him from the U.S.

Khrushchev used this situation to get rid of the nuclear missiles in Turkey. He agreed with Castro on setting up nuclear missiles in Cuba. This prompted a crisis, where the U.S. couldnt allow enemy weapons in its front door. Things got tense, and finally the Soviets withdrew its plans to put missiles in Cuba. At the time, everyone in the world thought that the U.S. had won the standoff. People in the left felt that Khrushchev chickened out and lost.

The reality of the situation was that both the U.S. and the USSR won. Secretly, the U.S. promised to withdraw those missiles from Turkey and in exchanged the USSR didnt put nuclear missiles in Cuba

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 09:48
I also agree with the statement of Genghis about war. And I, of course, agree with xristar. :)
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 14:09
I couldn't desagree more.

Indochina war is the perfect exemple of the no-real victory conflict that ends with negociations only to start again five years later. For Vietnam, the US did leave through negociations but the Vietnamization of the conflict meant total victory on one of the two original opponent over the other one.

You should read the wiki's article about Angola, it is just amazing. During 27 years it was precisely the all war/negociation things until the MPLA hired the private military firm executive Outcomes and won a clear cut victory over the UNITA killing its leader. Now: it is a peaceful dictatorship.

Nonetheless I must admit I liked the expression you've used bloody negociations.
I am a free donkey!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 15:33
Maharbbal,

There wasn't really a total military victory in Vietnam. At least not one battle where the Americans were so badly beaten that they had to leave. Also, remember that the major party in the first part of the conflict, France, did leave the country If we see the first part as a conflict between France and Vietnam, the peace agreement worked.

By the time that the U.S. left, all what the U.S. wanted was to leave with some level of dignity. Vietnam wanted the U.S. out. So when there was an peace agreement made, both countries got what they wanted.

I will go an read the case of Angola.

In the mean time, what do you think about the cold War as an example of a series of successful negotiations that prevented a true military war between USSR and the US?
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 16:33
Oh, wily Maharbbal,

I read the wiki pages on Angola, the Angola Civil War, and each of the major movements. This is one very, very complex war. I guess at the root of the problems is the seemingly rich natural resources of Angola. I am sure that there was also an ethnic component to the war as well, but I couldnt figure it out from the articles.

The problem here is to figure out what did UNITA and MPLA wanted, besides of holding power over the whole country. A basic thing that you need in negotiation is to know what each party wants.

At a first glance, it seems that UNITA and MPLA had an irreconcilable ideological difference that only a war could bring to an end. But it seems that Savimbi was an opportunist who would switch political ideology depending on who was supporting him. So, at the beginning UNITA is a socialist organization, almost Maoist, that later became, in theory, a free-market conservative movement.

The long war made it almost impossible to have good faith when negotiating. Either justified or not, it seems that Savimbi kept breaking treaty after treaty. It doesnt seem that he ever meant to follow them.

The war seems to have ended with Savimbis life. This seems to indicate that the main reason why the war dragged were Savimbis ambitions.

Several attempts were made to integrate him into the nation, including making him vice-president, but he rejected them all. Was it ambition or not losing face? I dont know. The only thing that would have sated him was him ruling Angola. And this wasnt a deal that could be reached with MPLA, for obvious reasons.

It seems that peace agreements were quickly reached once he was out of the picture. UNITA still exists to this day as a party.

Yes, the peace negotiations failed, but one can also make the claim that the war failed as well. 30 years of civil war is a long, long time. :)
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 09:30
Originally posted by hugoestr

Yes, the peace negotiations failed, but one can also make the claim that the war failed as well. 30 years of civil war is a long, long time. :)

That's the all point. Negociations in this case and many others rarely stop a war and almost never reconciliate interests. Of course it'd be better to agree or to agree on disagreeing but not fighting but the Angolese case proves well that it is not how it works.

In a way it reminds me of the first European traders in Japan. Their idea of what a contract was was utterly different from the Japaneses' view. For the European a contract was a contract and if the other part refuses to play according to the rules they had agreed with they could be sued or even lawfully killed. On the countrary for the Japaneses a contract was only a first agreement before the ultimate negociation when the product was delivered.

For these failed states it is pretty much the same. The is not firmely signed but it is understood that peace will remain until it will seem to one of the actors that war is more profitable (in other terms soon).

Then he can argue whether Vietnam, Afgha and Korea were more total or more amongst the people wars. But it does seem we are heading back to this kind of conflicts.
I am a free donkey!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 11:33
I wrote a very thoughtful answer, and it never got posted

Here is the short version.

War seems quicker, more profitable or effective than negotiations. But again consider Savimibi in Angola.

Savimbi was about to win against the MPLA when the Cold War ended, ending the strong support of the U.S. to his cause. Had he seen the situation objectively, he would understand that the best deal he could get was to become integrated to a unity government and turn UNITA into a major opposition party.

But Savimbi didn't want that. He wanted to rule Angola all by himself. So he decided to use the "quicker, more profitable, and effective" solution of war.

So Savimbi fought for another 12 years, making peace agreement and breaking them probably as a way of gaining time. He finally lost his life, which brought the end to the war.

And what is the situation today? Savimbi is not the ruler of Angola, and UNITA is part of unity government as a major opossition party.

In other words, the situation is not too different from what Savimbi would have gotten had he actually agreed to the peace agreements.

Had Savimbi acepted the terms of the negotiation, the peace agreemenet would have been the most effective, profitable, and quickest solution to the war.

Out of this discussion, it seems one can get the following principle: if one can win a war quickly and in little time, one should consider using it as a threat and be ready to follow through. Yet, if the war would drag for a long time without a clear resolution, one should attempt to figure out what would be the best deal that would would get had a war happened, and be ready to settle for those terms in negotiations.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 18:45
We agree on that. The problem is "the fog of war". Iraq was supposed to be a quicky so was Afghanistan...

Savimbi was about to win before the MPLA hired Executive Outcome and won the day. So you never know if it is going to be fast or long. And I would bet that 90% of the militaries are prone to say that they are going to win the next war easy pizy.

In this kind of situation I always remember the French army both in august 1914 when the war was to be fraiche et joyeuse (fresh and gay) and finish by the beginning of octobre and in january 1954 when they came up with this wonderful idea to be in a better position to negociate with the Vietmin: destroying their army in... Dien Bien Phu. (nailed it).

I'm not pleading for constant war of all against all but simply saying that it is by far the most common feature of modern warfare.
I am a free donkey!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 12:01
Yes, what you say is true: generals tend to stress the best case scenario before going to war.

The U.S. seems to have had a especially bad track record on picking their fights since WWII. I guess the confidence built on WWII has been working against the U.S., making it have too much hubris, especially went there is many documents and people telling you what the most likely scenarios are.

The U.S. went into Vietnam with the record of what happened to the French. In fact, according to the Oxford Illustrated History of Warfare, it says that the French gave the U.S. their report on what went wrong in Vietnam. The U.S. never read it, and this is proven, according to the book, because the U.S. followed the failed strategy of French.

Iraq was a similiar situation. The analysts at the Pentagon wrote document after document describing what would happen if Saddam was taken out of power. The adminstration refused to acknowledge these papers. But many of the prior information on Iraq wasn't clasified. Experts on the Middle East wrote op-eds and spoke on the media describing a chaotic scenario of ongoing civil war. And even a former Secretary of the Navy during the Reagan adminstration wrote about how taking out Saddam would destabalize the region, strengthening Iran.

All of these scenarios came to be true, of course.

In both cases, there was no real fog of war, but a fog in the mind of the leaders of the U.S. Their deep belief in the superiority of the American troops and that war could quickly solve problems made them blind over the many rational people who told them what would happened if they followed through.

In the case of Iraq, diplomacy was pushed aside. Now the U.S. is in a horrible situation, almost for the same reason why Savimbi failed to negotiate in the first place.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>