Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How effective is martial art in battles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How effective is martial art in battles?
    Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 22:40
I also agree which he said in the last sentence, but I study a little bit of Western Martial arts, and it seems that they use a lot of swords and daggers.

Well theres Savate, the French art of kicking, basicly kick boxing the French way, supposidly came into its own in the 1700s or so. So its not all swords and daggers.
Arrrgh!!"
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 07:01

Western fighting arts have a long and rich history, and, while most have either died out or been diluted into combat sports (fencing, boxing, & wrestling, which still have practical application, btw), this doesn't change the fact that Europe had arts as effective as anything in Asia.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 17:44

"this doesn't change the fact that Europe had arts as effective as anything in Asia."

I know

So its not all swords and daggers.

I know

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 22:10
i think the effectiveness of martial arts comes to how much a person is willing to put into it. If someone trains for a few months, they wouldn't be a bruce lee anytime soon. But if someone trains truley in the body, mind, and spirit for a long time, i think that it would be effective. I have been doing tae-kwon-do for five years and i trained pretty hardly the last 3 years and i think that if someone, within reasonable range(not like a linebacker in the nlf) attacks me, i think i have a good chance in disarming,if its a knife, or defending being able to defend myself
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 04:03
Then we have the Viking-wrestling art Glima, practised still today on Iceland
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 08:57

Originally posted by Mangudai

Then we have the Viking-wrestling art Glima, practised still today on Iceland

A famous Icelandic glima wrestler supposedly defeated some high-ranking judoka, early in the 20th century.

Wrestling is the "original" martial art.

Animals wrestle.

And thus, such grappling arts were often an important component of various fighting systems from around the world.

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 09:01
I'm not surpsrised. The disadvantage with eastern martial arts is that they are unnecessarely complex and difficult to master. They have turned into stylized techniques that can't be developed, or used for fighting
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 09:49

Originally posted by Mangudai

I'm not surpsrised. The disadvantage with eastern martial arts is that they are unnecessarely complex and difficult to master. They have turned into stylized techniques that can't be developed, or used for fighting

Mangudai,

I didn't post the glima player's victory over the judoka to show any supposed superiority of Western grappling methods over Eastern ones--I merely wanted to show that they are comparable.  Judo is actually a highly effective combat sport, that features both standing throws and takedowns, as well as ground wrestling.  This actually makes it more versatile than glima as an overall fighting method, since glima has no groundwork at all.  I don't know what rules the glima player and judoka fought under, but I suspect that it was either under glima rules, or post-1925 judo rules which emphasized the standing throws over the ground grappling.

Judo's ne-waza represents the one great Asian tradition of ground wrestling that we know of, while in the West, such techniques are mainly featured in English Lancashire wrestling, and it's American cousin, known as catch-as-catch-can, or simply catch wrestling.

And not all Eastern martial arts are "unnecessarily complex"--the various Filipino methods of swordfighting and stickfighting are comparatively straightforward, and very practical.  Just as in the West, some Asian methods have retained more practical application than others.  We should all be careful of making misleading blanket statements.

Peace,

L_D

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 11:05
Of course, but I did generilized with purpose. What I'm suggesting is that japanese and chinese fighting and martial arts seem to focus on ritual and form, whereas western martial arts tend to emphasize strength and in many case common sense - i.e. what you need to win an actual fight. I could be wrong, but that's my experience. Learning karate to know how to fight is like carry coals to Newcastle...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 03:28

Chaeokh: I know one man who has practised karate for over 30 years and he says that he would never try to fight a man with knife. I train knife fighting tecniques and know that it's a horrible weapon in the right hands. Disarming fighter who knows even the basics is very difficult. Believe me.

Russians have also some martial arts but I don't remember their names. Any Russians here who know?

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 04:20

Russians have also some martial arts but I don't remember their names.

SAMBO ("SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya" - "Self-defence without weapon")

white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 07:57
"SAMBO ("SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya" - "Self-defence without weapon")"

i see why they shortened the name
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 11:38
Originally posted by TJK

Russians have also some martial arts but I don't remember their names.

SAMBO ("SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya" - "Self-defence without weapon")

Sambo is a modern (20th century) composite Russian system, which combines Japanese judo with indigenous wrestling styles from throughout the former Soviet Union.  There are sport and combat forms. 

In sport sambo, emphasis is on high-amplitude throws and leglocks.  Chokes are not allowed.  This differs from judo, where chokes are allowed, but leglocks are forbidden.

There is another Russian combat form, known simply as the systema (the system).  This is the method of fighting used by the Russian Spetsnaz.  It is supposedly an old method, derived from the fighting style of Medieval Russian knights, but I see no actual evidence for this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234