Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese 'Wo Nu'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
XueKaiYuan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote XueKaiYuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese 'Wo Nu'
    Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 04:12
I read this from a book and found it quite disturbing.

Ming China and Joseon Korea regarded Japan as a kingdon of pygmy slaves.(Wo Nu)
Therefore, The Japanese pirates were called Wo Ko, pygmy raiders.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLOOOLLL!!!
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 02:06
why is that disturbing?

how could they possibly have good sentiments for pirates? Dead
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 19:24
the Japanese were on average shorter than Chinese, and since this is a description of pirates, hence the insulting name.

Though in reality the pirates also numbered many Koreans and Chinese in their ranks.

Edited by TMPikachu - 09-Oct-2006 at 19:26
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 23:35
"the Japanese were on average shorter than Chinese, and since this is a description of pirates, hence the insulting name."

It was true in ancient time as well as now. Beside, thats just a physical description of other people as people in West refer Africans as Black or Europeans as White

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 14:01
I think today though, the average height of Japanese is higher than China as a whole, though this includes all of China, which would encompass less developed rural areas, and Chinese being pretty diverse in size and appearance all over such a large country.

Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 23:50
No, just look at the Chinese athletes in Olympic games, especially the Basketball games; their height are even taller many Europeans teams (French and Germany) 
 Post Reply Post Reply