Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander and India

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: SEE QUESTION BELOW.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [36.59%]
26 [63.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander and India
    Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 23:32
Seems like Helios has no clue what he is talking about here.  Porus was by no means a powerful Indian King, simply a minor leader of the Panjab.  Also, Chandragupta Maurya was not in power when Alexander was in India - at the Ganges, Magadh was under the control of the Nandas. 

Also, think of it this way.  Alexander's forces outnumbered those of Porus.  Alexander's troop quality was probably much better as well, since Porus was a leader of a small state whilst Alexander commanded an army from a massive empire.  However, the army of Magadh under the Nandas was said to be a million strong and would have been of undoubtedly better quality.

Alexander had no chance.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 22:22
 The supply lines would be cut off, different tatics would have to be used, and many of the Indian allies would have joined together and defeated Alexander. Chandragupta was also a powerful Indian leader, and even Alexander had problems with Porus.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 17-Oct-2007 at 22:24
What is the officer problem?
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 00:28
Originally posted by Josip

Even if he did return to Persia, the question is how many people would he be able to recruit, and even if he did recruit many, how would he handle it logistically? If you look at what Plutarch wrote, you will see that logistics was quite an issue.

I dont think logistics is quite an issue for Alexander so its not really about how many he recruited but what he recruited. On his death, he had already established the army with the new incorpation from his campaign such as elephants which might prove a very useful tool in battle. Though in the end, it is the long term effects that really grows into attention, if Alexander does not have a plan to conquer India then he will fail in doing it.

In other words, even with reinforcements from Persia, I don't believe Alexander would have conquered India. India has all kinds of terrain and I don't think Alexander was prepared for those jungles, deserts etc, which proved evident even in his short campaign.

What kind of evidence are you talking about?

Horses and phalanx may be good on flat ground, but check out how the Romans defeated greek phalanx and what tactic did they choose, and where they fought.

Greek Phalanx maybe but we are talking about the Macedonian Phalanx which proves nearly indestructible in the front. If there is enough support from the flanks, it could easily defeat an enemy that is pinned down by the phalanx. The only reason why the Macedonians were defeated in Cynoscephalae was because the phalanx was not ready and was force to rush which was why the Romans easily defeated the left side. The right side was holding and even gaining ground, it was until the defeat of the left phalanx that the Macedonians lost. If the left could have hold, Im positive that the Romans would be defeated or atleast have a pyhrric victory...

I think most people here (and I noticed it IRL too) underestimate Indian army, and look at it as some generic vast chaotic army with no strategy/tactics.

Yea, but if one studies abit on their side, they will come to know about their strategies. I myself arent that sure about their strategies and tactics too, I only study about Porus and Alexander's battle at Hydaspes River and basically thats it. I do agree that most people underestimates Indians military might.
Josip View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Josip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 11:22
Even if he did return to Persia, the question is how many people would he be able to recruit, and even if he did recruit many, how would he handle it logistically? If you look at what Plutarch wrote, you will see that logistics was quite an issue.

Also, India at that time had around 1/3 of world population, at least from what I've read.

And third, based on Plutarch wrote, numbers would be of no avail. Alexander defeated much much larger Persian army, but in India he had serious problems defeated Porus alone, who had (according to Plutarch) few times smaller army. Sure, Alexander didn't have as many greeks as at te beginning of campaign, but too many "what ifs" may cloud the discussion so I'll let that be. In other words, even with reinforcements from Persia, I don't believe Alexander would have conquered India. India has all kinds of terrain and I don't think Alexander was prepared for those jungles, deserts etc, which proved evident even in his short campaign.

Horses and phalanx may be good on flat ground, but check out how the Romans defeated greek phalanx and what tactic did they choose, and where they fought.

I think most people here (and I noticed it IRL too) underestimate Indian army, and look at it as some generic vast chaotic army with no strategy/tactics. I'll just paste a paragraph from this very website:
India was one of the first nations to implement tactics, divisions, and formations.
The scent of flowers does not travel against the wind but the odour of good people travels even against the wind; a good man pervades every place. The perfume of virtue is unsurpassed.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 00:25
I would have to say no, even though I admired Alexander so much, I must admit that I dont see any victory in India for Alexander. Unless Alexander develops some kind of master strategy to defeat such as large army, then he would definitely be considered the great but I just dont think he would make it logically. And looking at the governing of India, it isnt that difficult to united the tribes together with the right man... I mean look at Han Xin and how he basically conquered all of China while Liu Bang (first Han emperor) hold off against the strongest kingdom in China. If that could be done, then I believe a person with the right talent can do the same in India, maybe it could be Alexander...

Though on the other hand, if he returned to Persia... regroup and fix his position in the Empire AND didnt dead, he could possibly return to India later and finish his unfinish business in India Wink

Edited by Kamikaze 738 - 13-Jul-2007 at 00:32
Josip View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Josip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 20:36
Sorry, no.

While I'm no expert by any means, how exactly could he conquer whole India, if he lost 3/4 of his troops on his short voyage, almost died, lost his famous horse...?

As Plutarch wrote:

Originally posted by Plutarch

Such a difficult victory over only 22,000 Indians [May 326 B.C.] took the edge off the courage of the Macedonians.  They had no
enthusiasm for Alexander's proposed crossing of the Ganges, a river said to be four miles wide and six hundred feet deep, to encounter an army on the other side consisting of 200,000 infantry, 80,000 cavalry, 8,000 chariots, and 6,000 war elephants.

Out of the 120,000 infantry and 15,000 cavalry that Alexander took with him into India, only one in four came back.

The scent of flowers does not travel against the wind but the odour of good people travels even against the wind; a good man pervades every place. The perfume of virtue is unsurpassed.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 02:40
It was nice, That is why Vishnugupta appointed them for Chandragupta, but they were not all maids, the basically consisted of a large no. of friends making the elite corp of bodyguards & maid palace guards.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
clement207 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote clement207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:42
It would be nice to have maid guards
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 01:47
Originally posted by Brainstorm

Maid guards ?interesting :) !

There were many more interesting things with this brahamin teacher Vishnugupta Bhatt. If you study him in detail, he may turn out to be possibly the most shrewed & clever persons in politiccal history. Well I should say one of the most.

As for the elephants given,thats obviously a part of a treaty,
even if presented as "gesture of friendship"-there are not friendships in international relationships. If Seleucus was utterly beaten,there wouldnt be place for such huge receive (hundreds of elephants were a really huge military weapon ,ready for use towards the other Diadochoi)

You are right. but look at the objective with which the treaty was designed. Vishnugupta Bhatt could have simply ordered his army back to India after the victory, but he didn't. He insisted on a treaty. Not just a treaty but one with a marriage relation between the two empires, which would turn the two warring empires not just into friends but direct relatives.

As I had said the objective was to secure the Western & north western frontiers of the Indian empire
without having to work for it.  What better way of guarding your borders than having a very strong empire of your queen next to it.

The war elephants which had been given were a part ofthis exercise of making the greek empire stronger as heavy a strong direct relative next to you is better than having numerous small warring unstable kings.

The fact is that Gupta's achieved their primary goals,and Seleucus understood that there were not many things to gain there,since he had other dangerous rivals to deal with.

True, but the rationale of the treaty was what I mentioned above. This was not unique for Vishnugupta. He alwasy used such peculiar thinking processes. It will be easier for you to understand his thinking if you look at the fact that he was an ordinary poor brahamin teacher, who one fine day took the vow of establishing a empire & actually doing it in a very short time frame. Without much fighting.

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 09:19
They are two very different dynasties. I believe that you are getting confused for two reasons:

1) The inclusion of the name gupta in Chandragupta Maurya. It is only part of his name and not part of his children. The most famous is  his grandson called Asoka, under whose reign, the empire expanded into Iran, Afganistan and all of India unincluding the Southern tip, which paid tribute to him.

2) There is a emporor in the Gupta dynasty called Chandragupta I. As far as i know, he has no blood connection to Chandragupta Maurya and merely shares a name.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 08:44
I though Chandra-gupta and Vishnu-gupta ,belonged to the Gupta dynasty (maurya / gupta).
Is it any connection to the two dynasties then ?(Gupta and Maurya)
ps:Its funny the way greek writers "made greek" the name of Chandragupta->"Sandrakotos" (!)
(like Assurbanippal->"Sardanapalos")
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 08:32
Just so you know, they are not the Gupta's. The Gupta empire was another empire in India a few hundred years later. I plan on writting an article on it shortly.
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 08:18
Maid guards ?interesting :) !
As for the elephants given,thats obviously a part of a treaty,
even if presented as "gesture of friendship"-there are not friendships in international relationships.
If Seleucus was utterly beaten,there wouldnt be place for such huge receive (hundreds of elephants were a really huge military weapon ,ready for use towards the other Diadochoi)
The fact is that Gupta's achieved their primary goals,and Seleucus understood that there were not many things to gain there,since he had other dangerous rivals to deal with.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 07:36
Yes Hellios, Further Selucas's daughter brought with herself her friends & maid servants whom Vishnugupta trained to be fierce warriors & turned them into an elite personal bodyguard division of Chandragupta Maurya in the royal palace.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 07:02
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

The objective of Chandragupta Mauraya attacking Selucas was to send him outside India & add the Indian territories to the mauryan empire, in whichhe was fully successfull.

The treaty signed between them was designed by the founder of this mauryan empire Vishnugupta Bhatt. It involved Selucas Nicator giving his daughter in marriage to Chandragupta Maurya (Vishnugupta insisted on a marriage alliance as this was the best way of securing the western & northers frontiers of the mauryan empire. His philosophy was that he didn't want his army to be tied up with guarding this vast border as he had more important things to do back home. what better way to guard your frontier than have your queen's empire on the other side !!!)

As a gesture of friendship between the two empires (Greek & Indian) now related by marriage, indians offered 500 war elephants to Selucas to help him fight the rebellions in his provinces. This was done as Vishnugupta Bhatta realised that a strong & stable Greek empire was in the best interests of both India & Greece, as he himself had a lot of work to be done in his kingdom & didn't want to run the risk of having numerous small unstable kingdoms on his borders.

Vivek, our countries' historical connections are so rich Tongue

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 01:51
The objective of Chandragupta Mauraya attacking Selucas was to send him outside India & add the Indian territories to the mauryan empire, in whichhe was fully successfull.

The treaty signed between them was designed by the founder of this mauryan empire Vishnugupta Bhatt. It involved Selucas Nicator giving his daughter in marriage to Chandragupta Maurya (Vishnugupta insisted on a marriage alliance as this was the best way of securing the western & northers frontiers of the mauryan empire. His philosophy was that he didn't want his army to be tied up with guarding this vast border as he had more important things to do back home. what better way to guard your frontier than have your queen's empire on the other side !!!)

As a gesture of friendship between the two empires (Greek & Indian) now related by marriage, indians offered 500 war elephants to Selucas to help him fight the rebellions in his provinces. This was done as Vishnugupta Bhatta realised that a strong & stable Greek empire was in the best interests of both India & Greece, as he himself had a lot of work to be done in his kingdom & didn't want to run the risk of having numerous small unstable kingdoms on his borders.

Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 12:11

The only time he had to fight really was against Selucas Nicator, which he won.

It cant be called a defeat of Seleucus.
It was rather a draw.-He was just unable to win (like Israelis in Lebanon
      ).
According to the treaty signed he got some 300 war elephants in order to not claim the territory which Alexander conquered before him.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 12:07

IFs & Buts will never end. that comes under the category of amusement.

What if while he went back, the persians, the egyptians etc..... came together with the indians who had already defeated him once to conquer & divided greece with china leading the war ?

Such jokes can go forever.

Wasn't the original question of this thread pertaining to the "ifs and buts"?

Edited by vulkan02 - 12-Oct-2006 at 12:09
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 06:32
Originally posted by Yiannis

Chandragupta maurya's personal bodyguards were composed of Greek  Women  loyal to the daughter of Selucas

!!!

More please... is this fact or fiction?

Fact.

Reason was Chandragupta's Mentor Vishnugupta Bhatt, Chanakya.

Chanakya was a sort of super shrewed Brahamin. In fact what is know as Chandragupta's empire was really his empire. Chandragupta merely being an instrument in his hands for achieveing his objective, since Bhatt Brahamins were teachers & not supposed to rule or be material.
Chandragupta had become the undisputed supremo  of India  without fighting wars.  By sheer politics of Vishnugupta, he got a huge empire. The only time he had to fight really was against Selucas Nicator, which he won.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 12-Oct-2006 at 06:33
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 04:51

Chandragupta maurya's personal bodyguards were composed of Greek Women loyal to the daughter of Selucas specially trained as an elite corps by Chanakya.

Fascinating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>